main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD Literature Forum Reference: Rules, Index, Release Dates & weekly Marvel Comics shipping updates

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    A price increase would be very cynical and could backfire - I agree it could happen, but it wouldn't be smart

Daneira likes this.
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    UK is in lockdown as of today and all non-essential stores have to close. This includes bookstores (though I think some branches of WH Smiths that have Post Offices inside can open since the PO is an essential 'store'). Right now online deliveries can continue but shipping is taking longer for non-essential items. I put a book order in with Amazon UK on Friday and chose the free shipping option, which is normally 3-5 business days. Part of my order is in transit with Royal Mail but the estimated delivery date for the bulk is 1-2 April.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Longer is better in a way, reduces the chance of anything on the packing. Current NHS advice is they think that transmission is unlikely, but if an item takes a few days in transit anything on it is more likely to die en route.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I read in one of the papers that cardboard (like the Amazon boxes) is a poor transmitter anyway since it's porous. If it's wrapped in plastic that's a different issue.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  5. Rebel-Jedi

Rebel-Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 26, 2005
    Will this affect the digital distribution of Marvel's upcoming Star Wars comics?

6. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    On the bright side, Happy Disney+ Day in the UK and other countries!

As for this thread, even though comics aren't physically being shipped, they appear to still be available digitally. If that's the case, I can add the caveat of the word "digitally" confirmed, or I can put a pause on my reporting all together depending on what the mods think is best.

@AdmiralNick22 @GrandAdmiralJello @Sinrebirth @The2ndQuest

It appears digital will be unaffected. For example, according to Diamond, Bounty Hunters #2 was slated to "ship" and be available in comic stores tomorrow but that doesn't appear to be the case - see the news from Diamond that Jedi Ben posted. But if you look at comixology, it says "Available on March 25 2020". -- https://www.comixology.com/Star-War...cvZGVza3RvcC9ncmlkTGlzdC9SZWNlbnRBZGRpdGlvbnM

I'll monitor and see how this will affect anything digital starting 4/1/2020.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Sinrebirth likes this.
  7. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I think Disney+ was actually delayed in some of the European countries - I seem to remember seeing that. Could be wrong. If it was then it was probably due to more people using the internet to work/school from home.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Probably not, as digital is the remaining income stream,
    Disney+ turned up o my PS4 today here so, it's active. Can Baby Yoda save us from Covid-19?

TiniTinyTony and Sinrebirth like this.
  9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    No but the original X-Men cartoon run will.

10. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    This is what I had seen for your side of the pond -- however, it's dated March 21st, so things may have changed further since then:

11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Maybe that's what I saw - I just remember seeing something about a delay on CNN Business.

12. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    ComiXology (owned by Amazon) is offering a 60-Day Free Trial to their Unlimited Digital Comics service and then it's $5.99/month after that. Obviously I don't want to see the death of comic book stores, but during these hard times, this might be a good option to get your read on for the time being.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm fine with adding the digital caveat if you wish to continue. it's more about availability notifications for forum users, ultimately, not physical collections.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    TiniTinyTony likes this.
  14. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Confirmed Digitally:
    25 - Mar

MARVEL:
    JAN201023 STAR WARS BOUNTY HUNTERS #2 $3.99
    JAN201077 STAR WARS LEGENDS EPIC COLLECTION CLONE WARS TP VOL 03 $39.99 ($19.99 Digitally)

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah as much as I love my LCS I've been digital for singles for years now, so as long as the digital versions are still being released, Tony you're my sole news source for what's actually out in a given week.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  17. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I wonder if midtown comics will ship this weeks comics? I know for the next week there is nothing coming out in print.

18. dragonpiece

dragonpiece Jedi Knight

Aug 4, 2014
    "Our customers, many of them eBay sellers, can no longer support their hobby by flipping a digital copy" I don't care if we lose these comic "fans" honestly, that's not supporting the industry.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    To be honest I'm amazed anyone makes enough money out of selling individual issues to then go and buy more of the new ones.

20. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    I know this is probably oversimplifying things but here goes. Each time I buy a physical copy from my local shop (Marvel at least) I receive a promocode for a free digital download of that issue. I would gladly pay the same price I pay for the physical copy for a download if I could somehow make sure my local shop got the money for the sale and I could receive my physical copy when things get back to normal. I would love to continue to read the stories as they come out, but I am one of those collectors who gets all the singles.

21. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
  22. Rebel-Jedi

Rebel-Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 26, 2005
    Has Marvel made any official announcements about what their digital plans are?

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    This looks to be the way it is going - Dark Horse have already announced they will not release digital content without print. I've also heard there's also no new releases listed on Comicology

What it comes down is saving the base of the industry, take out the local comic shops and the distribution model collapses and this has the potential to do that.
    Don't think so.

24. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    But the local comic shops have already been temporarily taken out. Seems to me that digital comics would be the only thing keeping the comic companies afloat until the comic shops/distribution company can open again.

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The bigger problem is most comic shops are such small businesses that they may not be there to reopen.

The comic companies can take a hit better. Marvel and DC are each owned by corporate leviathans. DHC and Valiant have chinese investors, not sure how this will hit IDW or Image.

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.