main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Mini-Games Challenge (Now Open For NEW 2024 Challenges!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Mar 15, 2020.

1. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    @Mira_Jade : I think I need to go for this one. #5?

2. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh wow! What a great reaction, folks! I am so excited to share, and can't wait to see what comes of the prompts! :D [face_dancing] [:D]

Yay! I had so much fun thinking up this one, as you can well imagine, I know! [face_mischief]

For you, if I could be so humble as to suggest #4? :D The rune Gyfu (ᚷ) represents the 'G' sound, and symbolizes gifts and generosity, especially as regards the back and forth giving and receiving found in close bonds of friendship. Your stanza from the Rune Poem is: "Generosity brings credit and honour, which support one’s dignity; it furnishes help and subsistence to all broken men who are devoid of aught else."

[face_love] [:D]

Oh how I do know your love of all things esoteric!! I hope that this one strikes your muse's fancy, because I had more fun coming up with this silly little challenge than words can rightly express! :p [face_love]

#2. The rune Naudiz (ᚾ) represents the 'N' sound, and symbolizes need and distress, but especially in the sense that hardship offers the opportunity for the strong to rise equal to their challenges and persevere for the best. Your stanza from the Rune Poem is: "Trouble is oppressive to the heart; yet often it proves a source of help and salvation to the children of men, to everyone who heeds it betimes."

:D

I am so glad you think so! Of course you may!

#1. The rune Sowilō, or Sól (Σ) represents the 'S' sound, and symbolizes the sun and life. When written double, side by side, the rune is changed to encapsulate victory. For your stanza from the Rune Poem, there are two translations that are equally fascinating, each in their own way, so I'm going to include them both! One, an Icelandic version: "Sun is the shield of the clouds and shining ray, the destroyer of ice." Then, the Anglo-Saxon version: "The sun is ever a joy in the hopes of seafarers when they journey away over the fishes' bath, until the courser of the deep bears them to land."

Yay! I am more than happy to share:

#5. The rune Hagalaz (ᚺ) represents the 'H' sound, and symbolizes hail, the shock of change, and the driving forces of fate beyond the control of men. Better yet, it represents persevering through those changes, and weathering them just the same as a storm. Your stanza from the Rune Poem is: "Hail is the whitest of grain; it is whirled from the vault of heaven and is tossed about by gusts of wind and then it melts into water."

Alrighty, there is already just #3 left for the Secret of the Runes Challenge! Though I would be happy to add one or two more as interest demands. :D

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Delightful, thank you!! And @Findswoman, how SPLENDIDLY PERFECTLY your stanza fits Shulma [face_love] :* :*

4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Wow! :eek: Heady stuff, indeed—love it! Thanks so much! :D And...

...it really rather does, doesn’t it? In fact, I’m getting thoughts about the whole Rose Evergreen group, here... [face_thinking]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  5. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    @Mira_Jade, I really have too many already but.. but...
    *grabby hands*
    #3 please? :D

And @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, okay, I really tried not to but... can I have #5? :D

This is going to be enough to keep me busy for years. :p

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  7. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    @Kahara - Yay! I am all too happy to share. :D

#3. The rune Jera (ᛃ) represents the 'J' or 'Y' sound, and symbolizes plenty and prosperity, especially through the reaping of the harvest. It is where we get our English word year from. Jera carries with it the idea of a cycle, which is depicted by the brackets of the rune; no matter what, nature persistently marches on. Your stanza from the Rune Poem is: "The new year is the hope of men, when the gods allow the earth to give her bright fruits to rich and poor alike."

Alrighty, folks, but that's already all of the numbers for the Secrets of the Runes challenge! If anyone else wants a rune though, I would be happy to come up with a few more. [face_love] [:D]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  8. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    My apologies for the double post, but I am all too happy to share that my muse was able to hunker down and write an answer to @Briannakin's Emo/Punk Rock roulette! We're Going Down Swinging is a pre-KotOR vignette featuring Meetra, Alek, fem!Revan, and a whole lotta circa late 2000s angst as only Fall Out Boy can inspire! [face_laugh] :p

Inspiration is a funny thing, too, because that was my one prompt that I honestly didn't have an idea for right away. But, after letting it percolate a plot bunny came out of nowhere and now here I am. That's why these mini-games are such gems. You never know what's going to come of them, in more ways than one! [face_love] I can't wait to see what everyone else writes as their own prompts spark ideas, because we've had some amazingly fun and creative founts for inspiration so far! I can only imagine how varied and clever the resulting stories will be. [face_dancing] [:D]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I completed my fic for this! What's Next? is up and *GASP* IT'S STAR WARS USING DISNEY CCS?!!?!?!!?!?!? It's short, but I love how it turned out!

11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Now that I've completed one challenge, I'm allowing myself self to take another. Can I please have #2?

Edit: Apologies for the double post - I swore I meant to edit my other post.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  13. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I have written a short story (less than 800 words) starring Ahsoka and Rex set during the Clone Wars based on the Yiddish word "kvetch."

Acronyms of the GAR

Thank you for the inspiration!

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    For the Idiot's Array Mini Games challenge, I have:
    Fractured Ties featuring A/P

15. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    I apologize for taking so long to get back to you! The way things have been working out, I actually have less time for fanfic stuff now :p You get the Commander of Staves: "A messenger on a fool's errand".

16. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    @Mira_Jade , I want to say a huge sorry and an equally huge ohwhatagooseiam! I totally missed your request for one of my Yiddish prompts a few days back:

...and then I went and assigned that very one to @TheRynJedi when she asked for whatever was left. I’m really sorry for that silly mistake. :oops: [face_blush]

So, in order that both of you may have a prompt, I’ll give you, Mira, an 8th word, which is:

kvell
    : to be bursting with pride or pleasure (over someone’s achievements, especially those of a child or child figure).

And I know that makes way more than eight in my list—for which I further apologize—but I really did want to make it up to you when I saw I’d totally skipped over your request! Once again, really sorry about that, and I hope this will make up for it. @};-

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [:D] [:D] for the uber!talented and currently frazzled @Raissa Baiard and @Findswoman ... I don't know the logistics of how it would be done challenge to challenge or across the board but I think it would be cool to eventually make all the prompts open to any who are inspired by them once they're assigned even. [face_thinking]

18. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    @Findswoman - You are too dear for words! Do you want to know something equally funny? I signed up for such a gaggle of prompts that it completely slipped my mind that one was missing. So no worries in the slightest! 8-} :oops:

But yay! I am very grateful that you expanded your list for me, and am all too happy to tackle that prompt too! Kvell is a Yiddish word I'd already gleaned from you and absolutely love, so I'm thrilled to use it as inspiration now. :D [:D]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    The Pride Challenge

[​IMG]

I really wanted to do some type of LGBTQA+ challenge for these mini-games. A huge part of fanfic is getting to represent and tell stories not focused on in traditional media, so LGBTQA+ stories are large part of fanfic history. But I won’t bore you with a history lesson. But I will say, writing LGBTQA+ stories really helped me explore and explain my identity to myself and I am so thankful for this. I was so in the closet as a teenager, I thought I was a freak – and this is unfortunately common. But writing stories reflecting my feelings have helped me become confident in explaining who I am, even if I’m only explaining it to myself.

So, without further ado…. The Pride Challenge!

This challenge has a few requirements. First, you must pick a number below and receive a colour – and the meaning behind that colour on (one of) the original version of the Gay Pride flag (I picked out 5 of the 8 to keep this a mini challenge). BOTH the colour and the meaning must be featured in the fic. Second, your fic must feature a LGBTQA+ character (or characters). Third, it must be told from a First Person POV. Simple!

[​IMG]

The Colours/index:

1. Green - Nature; TheRynJedi
    2. Orange - Healing; mavjade
    3. Red - Life; amidalachick - The Other One We Make
    4. Indigo - Serenity; Briannakin - Serenity
    5. Yellow - Sunlight; hitokiri-black

Oh, and if someone could pick a number for me (which is not against the rules!) that would be great, because I really wanna participate in this one (I didn't get a rune in time so dammit, I want a colour!).

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  20. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    @Briannakin I really love this idea, and even though I don't know if I can do justice to the character I have in mind, I'd like to try. May I have #3, please?

And may I suggest #4 for you? Unless you'd rather someone else pick.

21. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    @Briannakin I said I wasn't going to take another one until I finish the two I have, but I'm almost done with one and you know I can't pass this one up! Can I have #2?
    Awesome idea to use the flag and meanings!! :D

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  22. hitokiri-black

hitokiri-black Jedi Master star 1

Aug 8, 2005
    I like this one as well. These Mini Games are great starters.

If it is ok, I would also like to grab #3, it happens to be my favorite number.

23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    You got Red - Life.

Thanks so much! I got Indigo - Serenity. NICE!

Yeessss. You got my favourite! Orange – Healing (Though I should be bad and give you hot pink for sex! [face_devil])
    (and thanks! I'm happy I finally came up with something!)

#3 Has already been taken, sorry. Right now, 1 and 5 are left!

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  25. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Yay! =D= I made a story index and link for it in my Mulan challenge post.

(And as a shameless reminder to everyone else, there is still #5 available if anyone wants some Mulan inspiration...)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020