main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Has gaming influenced how are you socially?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mandalorian Riddler, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    I'm doing some studying and just curious to see if Gaming has had an influence on you as a person socially.

For me, I did let it control some of my school years, made me a bit more rebellious towards my teachers etc.. I sorted a balance out eventually but I was wondering what you guys experienced or felt?

2. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Not personally as I only really play with my son a few times a week. I have a friend who quit drinking, and the time he spent in pubs is now spent smoking weed indoors, and playing multiplayer games online with his friends.

EDIT: I guess it’s affected me socially too, as it’s another way for me to spend time with my kid.

Basically I’m like his Sherpa. I just follow him around a map, holding extra inventory for him, and if I find any decent guns he makes me give them to him.

That’s love.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  3. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Video games have been both a blessing and a curse when it comes to my social life. On the one hand, because of some of my mental health difficulties, I am more prone to addictive behaviours than others. So video games have been something that eats the vast majority of my time that could be done doing other things, even when I make great efforts to distance myself from them. My compulsive behavioural patterns end up dragging my back into their orbit.

Yet on the other hand, I was pulled out of school when I was 12 because of the level of bullying I endured (We're not just talking name calling here. I mean being pushed down flights of stairs, being attacked with a set of scissors, that sort of thing.), while the school and the police would do nothing about it. Growing without any of my peers around, online gaming was one of the few social outlets that I had during my teenage years.

Lordban likes this.
  4. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    It certainly did. I'm an introvert, and gaming is very much my escape valve; but I've also gotten involved with a lot more people than I used to through one MMORPG in particular, Dark Ages of Camelot - I was a large guild and alliance leader on that one, and its open world nature, in particular in Realm v. Realm format, got me to lead raids with upwards of a hundred participants on ~50-60 occasions, and more than 200 about a dozen times. Teaches quite a bit about logistics, scheduling, chain of command, tactics and managing attrition... ^^

Chewgumma likes this.
  5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    So there was no online gaming when I was growing up. Which meant when I played Perfect Dark for endless hours with my best friend, she and I actually had to meet up to do that :p It was just one of the things we did together, and it was great fun.

As for now, it's been a huge blessing actually. Because my brother is one of my best friends and now we live 1800 miles apart. So we play Destiny and ESO online and get to talk about life while we are.

Personally I'm an introvert, and even if video games didn't exist I wouldn't want to be going out and partying or seeing lots of people in-person. So now the existence of online gaming is nothing but a blessing to me.

6. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Shush, you'll remind me I'm turning 40 next year :p

7. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Yes it has. I no longer have to go out in public and kill people. I fire up my game console and wage war on the innocent there.
    Bonus: I save a lot of money on dry cleaning.
    [​IMG]

8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    who was talking about this the other day. my memory is decaying. i mocked him or her, but they were genuine and made some good points

edit: it was ender 2. @Ender_and_Bean

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    No online gaming, and no online, when I was growing up. I had to walk uphill both ways in the snow (oh who the hell am I kidding, I’m from eastern North Carolina, I had to walk both ways across flat sand) to a friend’s house to play Atari 2600 or to the arcade with friends to put quarters in machines.

Online gaming has been great for my sons though, especially now with a stay-at-home order in place. They are able to socialize almost as much as they always have.

10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I've seen a couple parents now saying thank God for Fortnite. They used to think it was terrible and useless, but now that the kids are all trapped at home, it's fantastic that they have a way to keep socializing with friends.

Darth Punk and Luke02 like this.
  11. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I remember playing a ton of Diablo over LAN and battlenet with my dad growing up, lots of fun. We still play Diablo Three together online.

Lordban likes this.
  12. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I was a teenager in the 90s and we didn’t have online gaming then. I think that’s why I’ve never been really drawn to big online games. I remember my friends and I would trade games and go to each other’s houses when one of us got a new game. If it was something like Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter II, we could spend whole days playing.

I gamed through my 20s and into my 30s now. I can’t play as much these days because of other commitments, but every now and then (maybe once every year or two) my friends and I will have a LAN party at someone’s house and spend the afternoon playing video games. My friend’s wife suggested that LAN stands for Losers and Nerds[face_laugh].

My gaming preference is big narrative-driven open-world games like Witcher 3 and Red Dead Redemption 2. I just like to switch off and lose myself in the game world without having to worry about other players.

Lordban and vin like this.
  13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I definitely prefer narrative-driven games. Right now I'm playing the Banner Saga trilogy, which is all very narrative-driven. And it's a fascinating narrative as well. Love games like this.

Dannik Jerriko likes this.
  14. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    I recently downloaded Division 2 on the advice of a friend from work. I’ve been playing a bit and teaming up with other players. I can see the appeal, but things do start to get a little repetitive.

I don’t know why, but I have always struggled to really get into these online games. I am much happier riding around Skyrim on my horse. I’ll look into Banner Saga as I’ve suddenly got a bit of extra time for gaming.

15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I've never gotten into multiplayer and I've never let gaming come before socializing, so not really, no. I haven't spent much time discussing games, either.

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    The Banner Saga is a trilogy of games, where one game carries over directly into the next. So it's really more like one long game. Not that long, though. About 30 hours for all three games, and your saves carry over.

The way I would describe it is "Oregon Trail meets Fire Emblem". You're leading a caravan of your clan through a Norse setting, and encountering turn-based SRPG battles along the way. But you also have to make decisions all the time that affect the outcome of not just the story, but some turn into life or death decisions for your characters. Plus you have to manage your resources to an extent. It's great!

Dannik Jerriko likes this.
  17. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    @solojones That sounds right up my street. Thanks for the info. I like the idea of saves carrying over a trilogy of games. Reminds me of the Mass Effect experience.

solojones likes this.
  18. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    While I don't play anymore, almost everyone I know does. Granted they're all pretty much online so there's that.

My daughter also met her husband gaming.

19. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    I used to game a fair bit but reached a strange point where it started to feel a bit hollow. I rarely felt a great rush or sense of accomplishment like I do when I'm playing music or climbing or biking with a mate. I don't know why. Maybe it's to do with getting older. I'm not sure.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  20. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Sort of. Sometimes instead of doing school work I'd play PlayStation for a few hours. But in the long run, not really. It's given me a lot to talk about with friends, especially when I play with them. It's also given me a lot of great memories from my childhood years to this very day.

21. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Well back in the day when I didnt have internet and TV or friends I just played my Medal of Honor, Lord of the Rings games, and Battlefront 2 over and over. Tried FFVII but was stuck on the roller coaster area so never completed it.

But socially it was something I did because I was a lonely kid. Very quiet and off I was in life

22. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    Thanks for the responses :)

23. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    You’ll always have us as friends no matter how different our opinions on life might be. [:D]

Darth Punk likes this.
  24. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Online gaming has made some people more antisocial simply because you are no longer required to meet face-to-face as you were back in the days when gaming didn't have online capability (especially console and handheld). Trading Pokémon used to involve two GameBoys and a connecting cable so you had to be in the same room, now you do it through WiFi with anyone around the world.

At the same time, internet has long-distance communication easier. I can play with friends now who live far away, which increases social interaction.
    And I know a few people with long-distance relationships that benefit immensely from being able to play games online with each other.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Lordban likes this.
  25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I think basically what you're saying is it's worse for kids than it used to be (when you'd have to be in the same room to play together)... but it's better for adults, who tend to wind up living apart from their friends.