main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last tv episode you watched?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

Fleabag: Episode #1.4

I want to cry all the time.

Fleabag and her uptight sister are going to a silent retreat in an effort to bond and recenter themselves and find virtue in the disciplined routine of menial labor. Yeah, that goes about as well as you’d expect. The anti-misogyny workshop going on next door doesn’t help. Or maybe it does actually. This episode feels the most sit-commy of any of these so far; it’s got the kind of very overt premise you find on a lost of sitcoms, but it handles that premise with aplomb and this episode has some great surprises in store, including the return of a character from Episode 1.1 that I had not expected to ever see again. Sian Clifford continues to prove what a treasure she is and Waller-Bridge is brilliant as usual. The silent retreat enables her to really showcase her gift at pulling funny faces. There’s a scene near the end of this episode that seems to be a genuinely emotional scene and, as a viewer, I found myself being moved by it, but I was also very off-balance because I was genuinely unsure if the show really was empathetically getting at something very painful or if it was going to undercut the scene at the last second with a crude, hilarious joke. I’m not going to tell you which one it was, because that sense of being off-balance and unsure is part of what the show’s going for, I think. It’s a measure of just how precisely this show handles tone; it can take a hair-pin turn going about eighty and yet somehow not feel at all jerky or disconnected or sloppy. It’s another great episode. 4 stars.

tl;dr – the hook of a silent retreat is well handled with a surprise recurring character I’d almost forgotten about; the mastery of tone is absolutely precise, achieving both hilarity & pathos. 4 stars.

2. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    The Hunters, Episode 2.

It's got a unique style but I have yet to want to commit to it. Right now my entertainment go-to show is Better Call Saul and I could never watch more than one show at a time, you know? I can't seem to care about more than one....for me it was The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, and most recently...holy crap it was good...Watchmen. There is so much content out there though it's hard to choose.

3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Watched the first episode of Devs, the new miniseries from Alex Garland, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The Ex Machina/Annihilation vibes were ever present as one would expect.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The entirety of Seven Worlds, One Planet. They must have heard complaints about how depressing Blue Planet II was, because they went out of their way to advertise this as uplifting. It’s less focused on bumming you out than BP2, but there’s still plenty of doom.

The activity on display really isn’t that thrilling, and sometimes the camera work misses the thrill of the action, but there are a few absolutely stunning shots, particularly overheads and close ups, that make it worth watching. An overhead shot of a hyena in the Namib desert is the most stunning shot of a desert I’ve seen outside Lawrence of Arabia.

It’s not as good as BP or BP2, there are just too many dull stretches of mundane activity, but each episode is good for at least one stunning shot. Recommended based on a few stunning shots and some decent drama, but don’t expect thrilling action.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  5. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    "The Outing" on "Seinfeld". Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Dagobahsystem and Juliet316 like this.
  6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The Outsider finale.

The final confrontation is not an epic showdown, and it doesn't need to be, especially to remain consistent with the fact that it was in a state of weakness.

"Who's Terry?" asks Holly. Combine that with the scratch and people thing she is the new monster. But really it lives up to her own comments that she can tell you waht happened on a given date but doesn't know her own height.

Good show, good ending.

Um, should "What are you watching right now?" Just be combined into this thread?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

Fleabag: Episode #1.5
    (2016) – Harry Bradbeer

I don’t need to tell you that your father is a deeply sexual man.

No, you don’t.

But you did.

Well, the sitcom hook for this episode is every bit as good as the one last time. This time, we find Fleabag, her on again-off again boyfriend, Clair, Godmum and Dad gathering to commemorate a sad occasion and this is as fantastic as it sounds. Everyone is on their A-game here. Bill Paterson takes his performance to a new level with a very funny scene. Olivia Colman is probably also better than she’s been to date and she’s been exceptionally good, so you know she’s amazing here. Ben Aldridge gets a real chance to shine as Fleabag’s unnamed boyfriend; he’s been funny so far when he shows up, but throwing him into the twisted group dynamic of Fleabag’s family brings out the best in the character. This is a brilliant episode, no question. I think it’s probably, overall, the best of the series so far and certainly the funniest. And, by the way, Fleabag finally did something in this episode that made me downright furious. I love unlikable characters, but I rarely actually get angry with characters, but I did in this episode. Waller-Bridge can take that as a compliment. 4 stars.

tl;dr – hilarious episode is based around a somber family gathering and it’s the funniest so far; the ensemble is working like a well-oiled machine. 4 stars.

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Locke and key epsidoe 10.

The whole show does feel like a teenage drama, with magic mixed in. A 2nd season has not been greenlit but episodes are being written. And I'll watch if another season is made.

I mean, now they have 2 demons to deal with.

9. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness, on Netflix.

Based on true facts ( heck this dude Joe Exotic was sentenced to 22 years in jail last january) it has to be the most surreal story you can find out there. I doubt that actually someone could make that ***t up as fiction. And i know, people thought Don't ***k With Cats was disturbing enough, but this goes to another level. Basicxly is like if The Office documentary was really made with real people, but instead some schmocks from a papaer company, with murderous, criminal, twisted people with a big feline fettish. People should give a try for it, even if for just find a reason we deserve COVID-19.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Second episode of Hunters. I'm watching the series on Amazon because I like the premise; though the way it's being played out is losing its flair to me. I thought it was going to be a far more serious take on the subject of vigilantes plotting schemes to take out Nazis who fled Europe to live decades with freedom in America. Think Spielberg's Munich. But there's a handful of what I consider zany, screwball antics you'd find in a Ben Stiller comedy that just make me roll my eyes. But I'm still going to watch it for as long as the season goes.

11. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Outsiders .

this is a 10 part series based on a Stephen King book . the premise is interesting but god its slow.
    Also it has that camera technique which I'm going to call "Lazy Camera" , this involves leaving the camera pointed at people but they walk in and out of frame and in and out of focus. Its really annoying.

12. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I finished the first season of Kidding - only because it's a free trial on Amazon. Although I generally like Jim Carrey, this really didn't seem all that great. I've no interest in watching the 2nd season

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Been watching the Violet Evergarden animated series on Netflix. I've been hearing good things about it so I figured I'd watch it while I'm on a Netflix trial.

14. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    3 Batman: The Animated Series episodes

"Blind as a Bat": Bruce Wayne is temporarily blinded when the Penguin steals a Wayne Enterprises military jet. Now he must stop the Penguin while blind.
    "The Demon's Quest 1 & 2": Batman is manipulated by Ra's Al Ghul in an attempt to succeed him; Batman must stop Ra's plan to wipe out humanity.

15. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Star Trek The Next Generation "Reunion" - Excellent Worf-centric episode.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Plowing through the "bad" season of The West Wing, season 5. It's nowhere near as strong as what came before and what would come after, mostly thanks to Sorkin leaving after season 4. Still, I'm enjoying it. Loved The Supremes episode.

17. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I watched all 8 episodes of Netflix’s new real life experiment show - 100 Humans.

I enjoyed it, and I would’ve liked to see more episodes. Maybe they’ll do more in the future. I found each episode to be interesting and entertaining. Some of the conclusions to the experiments could’ve been worked out better, but for the most part they did a good job. I thought the hosts were fun and some of the humans too. It’s a good show to waste some time, and it turns out we have a lot of time to waste currently. 7/10.

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

Fleabag: Episode #1.6
    (2016) – Harry Bradbeer

You know, either everyone feels like this a little bit and they’re just not talking about it or I am completely alone. Which isn’t ******* funny.

And Fleabag brings season one to a close with a beautiful, brilliant episode. This episode certainly does deliver laughs, particularly during a lengthy section at Godmother’s Sexhibition, but I think this is also the season’s most serious episode and it does a really good job plunging us deeply into Fleabag’s despair. There’s a “twist” in this episode that I won’t spoil, but it’s really shocking and something I didn’t see coming even though, in retrospect, there’s been more than a couple of hints throughout the series. The final scene of the episode is fantastic; it’s sad, but also sincere and humanist and it offers just the right soupcon of hope. You feel like Fleabag’s got a long way to go, but at least, you feel, she’s starting to get better. It’s bold, sharply written and perfect. This has been a great season of television. 4 stars.

tl;dr – the season saves its most serious episode for last and it really works, delivering a bittersweet, sad, but hopeful ending; what a great season of television. 4 stars.

19. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    So I watched through all of the available episodes of Violet Evergarden on Netflix. I thought it was pretty poignant series for the most part; some episodes (Episode 10 in particular) far more sad than others. I even recommended Episode 10 to a friend of mine; knowing she's not an anime fan at all.

I watched the 4th episode of Amazon's Hunters. To date it's easily my favorite episode; no jerky Ben Stiller-esque scenes and a very powerful climax scene.

20. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    S1, E1 of Doctor Who starring Christopher Eccleston.

This is the first DW ep I've seen.
    It was fun, fast paced, and enjoyable.
    Those manequins were creepy.

21. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Sophia the First. Don't know what episode/season just know it's on yet again. I pleaded with my daughter to pick something else. Even try bribery. Nope. But it makes her happy and that is what matters.

PCCViking likes this.
  22. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I'd recently seen that The A-Team was having some re-runs on one of the Sky TV channels, I watched this religiously as a kid on a Saturday tea time and it got me thinking that the only things I remember were of some thugs taking over a small island to grow drugs with a leader who had a metal hand or something, one with a local villain using a lighter to cheat at cards and getting the locals to work in a mine, a cabbage thrower and the rubbish change in theme tune in the later seasons. My memory had totally gone on episode specifics. So imagine my surprise when I switched it on the other night and saw that season 3 was on and it was the island episode I remembered and it was called 'The Island'. A gang land on a small island of the coast and force its inhabitants into slavery to grow drugs, a kid escapes with the help of the doctor on the island (coincidentally an ex-army buddy of the A-Team) with instructions to find them. Of course the kid finds them and they return to the island to save the inhabitants and defeat the villains. The villain with the metal studded hand was awful, but his second in command was Sonny Landon who many will remember from Predator and 48 Hrs.

Anyway they've continued to download on to my Sky box and after that I watched one called Showdown where a fake A-Team are terrorising a circus to get it to close down, this garners negative headlines in the papers so the real A-Team turn up in disguise to help out the circus and put a stop to the fake ones. Well everyone was in disguise except BA, how did he never get caught in LA? Its not like he was inconspicuous. Anyway that was a decent episode with a hilarious slime thrower thing that can knock villains off their feet. I even spotted a familiar face, a young Xander Berkely from 24 / The Walking Dead. It ended with them outwitting the army and remaining at large to do good deeds.

It was like being transported back to my childhood, looking at it now and its pretty tame stuff, but the 4 leads carry this with ease. I've let them carry on downloading so I'll have plenty to go through.

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Just watched the first episode of The Tiger King on Netflix and whoa boy ... right out of the gate you can tell this can only end one way.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  24. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Tiger King episode 3, 'The Secret'. Just..what? No one in this story has a normal life.

25. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Ozark s3 ep5
    This cast is so good.