main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Yuuzhan'tar: The Yuuzhan Vong Homeworld

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Otto_den_Ktulu, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Two "Crimson Empire" pictures by Paul Gulacy, merged and altered by me.
    What a pity we don't have an NJO image caption thread.[face_dunno]
    [​IMG]
    Edit: Fixed link error.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    All I see is a black X

3. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
  4. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Hi there,
    How would you speak the name Yun-Txiin? Tkhiin or Tksiin? I can't find any online audio books and I need to know that for making a video. Thank you!

5. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Yun(soft u as in under)-Tixin,

Is probably how I would pronounce it.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  6. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    So you would pronounce the x as ks or as kh?

7. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    ks

Sudooku likes this.
  8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Are there any other mentions of Companion Cresh or of this race of beings before they met Aerimus?

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Not as far as I know. Based on the whole "Vong are near-human" thing in some of the early NJO books, I think that here, they're probably humans, which diverged to become their own separate descendant species.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Or it could just be SW authors using near-human as meaning humanoid instead of being related to humanity, they have done it before.

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Could be. Still, it was. enough to convince Saxton of Star Wars Technical Commentaries.

https://www.theforce.net/swtc/humans.html#yuuzhanvong

Physically the Yuuzhan Vong are human except for slight differences of height, mass and distribution of hair [Vector Prime p.23]. They carry different values and culture, which are at one extreme of the range of human possibilities, but they appear to be the same in all other ways.

The similarity demands explanation. It seems likely that the invaders are indeed members of the same species or genus as the humans of the Skywalker galaxy. The origins of humanity in STAR WARS are lost in prehistory and the species has spread across one whole galaxy, so it is easy to imagine that humans may have colonised other galaxies in the long-forgotten past. If the STAR WARS galaxy is not our own then there must have been at least some intergalactic travel importing the species from the Milky Way, deep in the prehistory before the establishment of the Old Republic.

If they are human or near-human then the existence of the Yuuzhan Vong constitutes a vital point of data about the status of all human species in the STAR WARS milleu.

another important fact is that a lot of their biotech is human-compatible:
    p100 Agents of Chaos 1 Hero's Trial:

"Essentially we are dealing with a near-human species," Eicroth said, "both externally and internally - excepting, for the moment, the semi sentient reptoid proxy groups the Yuuzhan Vong deployed at Dantooine, Garqi, and Ithor. This is borne out by the fact that Jedi Master Luke Skywalker suffered no ill effects after donning both a Yuuzhan Vong coralskipper cognition hood and an organic breathing apparatus."

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Sudooku likes this.
  12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Just wondering, how many species was the vong-tech shown to be not compatible with?

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    No idea.

But Supernatural Encounters taking the "Vong did not evolve on Yuuzhan'tar, but emigrated to it" approach does make a certain amount of sense.

jaegerdroid15 and PCCViking like this.
  14. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Grrr….I hate that so much. Absolute worst retcon conceived.

The Yuuzhan Vong are not near human. They have black-blueish blood which is biological evidence enough I think.

Beyond that-their physiological traits are humanoid but not close to the human baseline.

15. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    I don't know Supernatural Encounters yet, but read one reddit-thread about it. For me the Yuuzhan Vong are as human as Twi'leks and that is enough for me. Why they retconned the YV to be not from Yuuzhan'tar originally - I don't know. Maybe they supported Yomin Carr's allegation, Danni Quee did support in Vector Prime.

16. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    That was referring to the Vong scout ship. Not the Vong's origin homeworld.

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Was it ever actually confirmed that it was Vong? Also, a scout ship that appear 5000 years before the main force is probably not a scout ship.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  18. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    When you are referring to my posting above, it was a worldship, not an outspoken scout ship. But if you consider the Praetorite Vong as the vanguard of the Yuuzhan Vong, you may call that worldship a scoutship too.

Anyway, I meant that sarcastic. I compared Iron Lord's remark
    with Danni's words

Both is absurd for me, while I'm aware that the Crew of Belkadan didn't know that time. But for you did reply to Iron Lord directly, I thought my reference to be clear, sorry.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  19. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    So there are some aspects of Vong society I wish had been expanded on.

First off-their economy. We know very little about it, and since they grow everything they don't seem to have much of a market. Does this mean they are post scarcity, a command economy or what? As far as I can tell, they have no currency or any equivalent.

Secondly, I want to know more about their theology-we have the basic creation myth. But I would think a priest caste, would spend much of its time developing a theology around the gods, their aspects, relationships, and so on. We know little about how Vong religion informs say-the average Vong warrior's life beyond devotion to Yun-Yammka. What are his daily prayers like?

Also I wish we had gotten more expansion on the Yuuzhan Vong language. Its got a guttural roughness to it, but also a heavy elegance as well. In my opinion. Someone should have created a full language.

Does anybody else have things they wish were expanded, or had been added or explored regarding Vong culture, politics, or society?

Sinrebirth and Gamiel like this.
  20. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I would have liked to have seen/read a more detailed story of their battle against the Yevetha: one vicious fanatical species vs another.

Sinrebirth and Force Smuggler like this.
  21. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    So I wanted to ask, what sort of musical theme would everyone associate with the Yuuzhan Vong? Would it be melancholic or upbeat? I'd think it would have a more "organic" or give a feeling of being natural. Disharmonious.

Sinrebirth and Sudooku like this.
  22. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    @Darth Invictus,

How about Hard Metal!

BTW: My sons did watch a film of Lord of the Rings today and the younger one, nine years old, said: "This guy is looking like Tsavong Lah". He was one of the Orcs.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    Sinrebirth , CampOfSorgan and Gamiel like this.
  23. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Might be of some interest here:

24. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    I love that TV spot.

“I face a new challenge unlike any before.. and I’m not sure this time, we can win.”
    With the Emperor’s theme playing in the background. That music fits well with any ominous threat. Excellent!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    Sinrebirth , PCCViking and xezene like this.
  25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Silly question, potentially, as I am not sure how many of you all RP.

If I was tempted to run a game post-NJO on the forums, largely from the Yuuzhan Vong perspective, what would people's thoughts be?