main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Official Disney/EU discussion thread.

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Guinastasia, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    2012 (pre-Disney) was a great time to be an EU fan. The Plagueis novel was released, Dawn of the Jedi was released, Maul returned in TCW, and Fate of the Jedi wrapped up.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  2. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    2012 was already dubbed a SW Renaissance. And don't forget Phantom Menace 3D in the theaters. Release date was apparently Feb 10, 2012.

And...let me add that release date coincided with the release of the Dawn of the Jedi #0 and #1, both in February 2012.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    darklordoftech likes this.
  3. Fel Corvax

Fel Corvax Jedi Master star 3

May 19, 2020
    I swear to Bogan if they make leia a disney princess....

4. Fel Corvax

May 19, 2020
    I wanted to find out what happened after darh Krayt was killed. Or if the Mngal Mngal cntrolled the galaxy

5. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Legacy II is really the only place to go. It's really worth the read.

6. Fel Corvax

May 19, 2020
    I knw disney has kinda ruined star wars and turned it into a series of child friendly movies, but I love Doctor Aphra

7. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    I think they already have. Sorry

8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Plenty of RPs set after Krayt died.

SateleNovelist11 and Fel Corvax like this.
  9. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Just to be clear, the original EU probably wasn't Lucas' intention simply because he didn't read the books. He came up with a few ideas here and there, but the ideas were primarily those of the authors at Lucasfilm/LucasArts. That said, people generally don't like the new Disney EU amongst older fans because they have a tendency to depower and de-legitimatize the stories of Luke and Leia. In contrast, they have a tendency to make Vader more powerful than he was in the films and the original EU. While this psychologically adheres to the prequels in a way, it does so at the expense of other characters. Older fans prefer the flawed original EU because it respected Leia and Luke's personalties more than the Sequel Trilogy or Disney EU does.

Of course, if we talk about heteronormative issues, the EU has a number of problems. The fact that there are only two genders and two orientations portrayed is one about which that fans have long complained, and justifiably so. The new Sequel Trilogy shows a hero co-opting the methods of her abuser, and this is why troubled youth and incels have a tendency to like it. The denialism enforces the absurd notion that there are only two genders and two orientations. Originally, in 2015, I was supportive of the notion of a Disney canon and an older Lucas canon co-existing. However, that opinion changed due to the Last Jedi and the Rise of Skywalker's violent heteronormativity and heteropatriarchy. Having said that, it should be noted that neither Kathleen Kennedy nor the directors (Abrams and Johnson) sought to push that agenda. But that's what the masses have chosen to do, however. In a country where ethnic minorities, non-binary people, and gender minorities have faced increased assaults and violence since 2017, these Star Wars films did not help the issue. However, the television series and books stayed safe, and they were more inoffensive. So, I'm not going to attack the Disney canon's EU TV or book series, since they, for the most part, were not enforcing that incel-esque violence and manipulation that we saw in the films.

Of course, that's one reason why I support the notion that Darth Zannah could use her spells to outwit General Grievous if timelines were crossed. That's one reason why I believe that Mara Jade could use her wits defeat Darth Malgus. I think we tend to forget how many characters were able to overcome the dogmatic and constrictive approaches of both Jedi and Sith. Darth Malgus, for example, is widely admired for being one of the few Sith who believed in the Force as opposed to the dogmas of his Order. But people tend to forget how brutal, condescending, and narcissistic he was. Mara Jade may not have been as physically powerful as Malgus, but she could have used her agility, speed, and wiliness to outwit him. At any rate, that's why I prefer the old EU. I take some lessons here and there in the new Disney canon I like, and I refuse to write it off entirely.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  10. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    I read the Expanded Universe to have all types of diversity. A difference we can make a big deal about is perhaps only a small difference in the SW EU. I like seeing a fictional universe where human beings are not put under suspicion for being different than the norm. The protagonists realize that their differences are small. The real difference is the imperialist agenda that seeks to destroy worlds, enslave systems, and subjugate populations.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  11. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I agree. I like that, as well. But I feel sorry for how the near-humans and other aliens are treated and typecast according to biology in those stories.

12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The new expanded universe features LGBT characters in a much more expansive way, though, so that’s brilliant.

13. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Okay. Those YouTubers need to tell me about that, so I'll read them. When it's filled with 50 or hundreds of genders, I'll be satisfied. :) Then it will be like real life.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  14. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    We could use many more LGBTQ characters in the SW universe

=D=

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  15. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
  16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Ooooh this is actually the perfect place to bring up this question I've had.

So since the EU of Legends is essentially 3 different era's of Star Wars in the 70's 80's 90's and Early to Mid 2000's

I wonder how Legends would have accommodated the cultural changes of the 2010's if everything had happened in the real world remained the same. Or if the Continuity/Lore baggage would have hindered it and that Lore Reboot allowed for Star Wars to be a bit more relevant with the Era of the 2010's...Just a thought.

17. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I think it would have been fine.

With Goran/Medrit, Juhani and Delilah Blue, we were getting there, just slower than we would have liked. I mean Blue was a surprise in hindsight.

There was very little preventing characters like Dr Aphra, Sinjir, Moff Mors, and so forth turning up. Well maybe Sinjir exactly like that as he’s post-Endor but not in principle.

18. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Delilah Blue is a good character. She initially seemed selfish, but she has more depth to her than people give her credit. She was one of the better influences in Cade's life.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    It’s a bit more subtle than that for me. She isn’t possessive of Cade like most, she genuinely was upset at him making a bad decision and getting with Talon. His other flame she was perfectly understandable about.

20. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    That's what I meant. Talon is damaged because of what Krayt did to her. Blue is more interested in Cade's welfare and past, whereas Krayt directed his thralls to exploit it.

21. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

It's interesting outside of books and comics the New Jedi Order era never penetrated Video games. Like even Bantam Era got a few video games with Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy

Dark Empire got a mission in Rogue Squadron

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  22. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    The cynic in me wonders if they just didn't feel the Vong were marketable enough as villains to the general public. By comparison most villains before and after were somehow tied to the films. I'm not old enough to remember the NJO years, but Legacy had a lot of marketing (it was going to get a video game before the Disney purchase). Did the NJO have that same level of marketing? I kind of get the impression that LFL just didn't really try to make the Vong a thing.

23. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

It did at the beginning

24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

This tweet is making the rounds

Tython Awakening likes this.
  25. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    So now he at least finally admits having zero respect for Legends.
    I mean we already kinda knew that since TCW which blatantly ignored legends from day one(as in the EU Anakin only even becomes a Jedi Knight two years into the war, while TCW clearly states the pilot movie being set at the beginning of it). What I dislike about this is that Legends went out of its way to adapt to Filoni, with books and various references in FotJ, and that´s how he is thanking them for attempting to bridge the gap between the EU and his series.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.