main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series What would you like to see in the Kenobi TV series?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Hopeless, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    Yoda and Mace feel Anakin slaughtering sand people even though they're on Coruscant and Anakin is on Tattooine. So it's been shown distance means nothing if the individual makes a big enough wave. Anyway, I should have been more clear in my statement. My fear is they'll have Kenobi make waves for the point of maintaining action and excitement through the show. My fear is they'll do something like @Vorax suggested above. Should Obi-Wan face an Inquisitor, the Inquisitor is going to notify the Empire that he or she has found Kenobi, and it puts him on the Empire's radar, which goes against the established canon. Those are the kind of things I worry about with this series.

2. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Okay, good point, but don't overlook the special nature of that event, and the fact that it is, as you say, a "big" wave.

A Jedi going to the darkside in a moment of rage and revenge is the kind of thing two powerful Jedi Masters would notice, even when the distance is great (proximity does matter for normal Jedi activity, however). Observe how they don't take notice of ordinary Jedi activity. Isn't this what we're talking about in regard to Kenobi? We're talking ordinary waves, not big ones.

Darth Vader isn't going to notice Kenobi briefly fighting a thug on Tatooine. Would he sense Kenobi slaughtering innocent children? Probably so.

But more importantly, objections to Kenobi engaging in action tend to have two main problems: 1) They begin with the assumption that it's impossible for good writers to navigate the canon from the OT sufficiently, and in general, that storytelling isn't possible (of course, I concede LFL isn't very good at picking writers); 2) they assume that just because something was said or implied in the OT, that it must have happened exactly as audiences imagine it. However, the PT shows that events mentioned in the OT sometimes happen much differently than fan head canon. Who would have imagined Anakin as he was? Or that the clones were the "good" side in The Clone Wars?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  3. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    No, I'm not discounting the gravity of situation. I was just making the point.

I'm not making the assumption that good writers cannot navigate the canon. As you stated, LFL does not hire the best writers, so I worry about them writing from their own head canon and not navigating the established canon. While I agree the PT showed not everything happened exactly as the OT imagines it, simply because perception and point of view will always alter the truth of a story. However, the PT being written the way it was also created multiple continuity errors between the trilogies. Long story short, there is a delicate balance to be maintained, and the question is can and will it be maintained?

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  4. Christus Regnet

Christus Regnet Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2016
    The Kenobi book showed what a Kenobi movie or season can do, without any Jedi duels, without leaving Tatooine, without Vader, or Inquisitors, etc.
    If it's a TV show, each episode could end with him going back to his hut and praying to Qui Gonn about the day's events, and kicking himself for being Obi Wan(the hero, getting involved) instead of Ben(the guy in hiding, protecting Luke at all costs).

The problem is, they made the Mandalorian, and made it exactly like the setting for Kenobi would be, including spending a lot of time on Tatooine. That's Obi Wan's territory! The "Western in space" is Obi Wan's genre. It's like they took his show and gave it to someone else, but whatever. I don't expect an Obi Wan show, if they really made one, to be that great.

Most of the claimed continuity errors I've seen people talk about have nothing to do with the films themselves, but tie in materials, or how fans imagined things about the Prequel era before they were made. And all of them are rather silly complaints to begin with.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  5. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    They cannot escape Force powered characters and lightsabers in the Mandalorian, of course they won't in Kenobi.

Likely they'd set up a young Jedi or Force sensitive that searches for Kenobi or Kenobi has to spring to action to protect the protagonist.

6. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    I think the interesting part of the story is the inherent drama of a white knight living in a crummy world. For Kenobi, that crummy world is Tatooine, a world ruled by a crime lord. I think an interesting story would be the Empire trying to get the upper hand on the Hutts. Not wanting the Empire on Tatooine to find Luke, Obi-Wan is forced to side with the Hutts and clandestinely help them against the Empire while still keeping his Jedi morals. Maybe the Hutts start funding a Rebel cell that is based out of Tatooine, putting Obi Wan in the awkward position of trying to get the Rebels to leave so they don't draw the crosshairs of the Empire. Something like that. Maybe Lars is aligned with farmers who want to overthrow the Hutts (but once they are overthrown, the Empire is in a good position to move in).

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  7. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Ha, ha. Well, to be honest, no.

8. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    The Kenobi novel also only occurred over a two week span, if I'm not mistaken. Would work for an episode, not an entire series. To stretch it over the length of a series, it would get really old really quick as they would basically be telling the same story every week.

Yes, the novel does show what can be done without, but it leaves uncharted territory for the opposite, and this is where they get into the potential of disrupting the established canon. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I believe Obi-Wan never left the hut. His comment to Luke of "You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy" shows he is familiar with Mos Eisley, and obviously didn't stay holed up in his hut. They just need to be careful in how they tell the stories of when he did leave the hut, which is why I feel he is a character best left alone.

I'd much rather they did an anthology set on Tattooine. A story concurrent with the establish canon, but not intersecting the established canon. They could center it on the cantina in Mos Eisley and the different smugglers and pilots that frequent the establishment. This would allow Obi-Wan to make appearances, but not be the focal point, which reduces the risk of breaking canon. You could have Han and Chewie cameos. Although hearing the same song from Figran D'an and the Modal Nodes every week would get old.

9. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    The novel would not work for a single episode. it could work for a season(which is what I stated). The actual timespan of the novel is irrelevant. a full season of television on a streaming service is only 6-9 hours long. Not that I was even saying they should adapt the actual book(I didn't), but there are more then enough unfolding events and set pieces in the book that it would take at least ten episodes to film it.

10. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    I misspoke when I said episode. I did not catch my mistake. I should have said a few or handful of episodes. Either way, I was trying to infer that it would work for a short run but not over the course of multiple seasons. I wasn't saying they should adapt the book either, just that if they did, there is only so much they could do with it, although, it does give a guideline to Ben the hermit, just not Obi-Wan the Jedi.

11. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    I've asked about the plot in another thread but this, I think, is a possibility: True Grit.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Grit_(2010_film)
    [​IMG]
    Obi Wan is ultimately based on General Makabe from Hidden Fortress. In True Grit, the girl is 14; that's also the age of princess Yuki.[​IMG]
    The first drafts of ANH were closer to Hidden Fortress.

What girl? Every time Obi-Wan speaks to Rey, is both McGregor and Guinness. Both Christensen and Shaw. Why?

In TFA Guinness says 'Rey?' after little Rey appears. Then the vision leaps to the present and McGregor is heard. Maz says 'the belonging you seek is not behind you, it is ahead'. Was Guinness 'behind' Rey in the same backstoy-related sense Qui-Gon was behind Luke or Ben Solo, for example?

In TROS, McGregor speaks his 'final steps' line, and then Qui-Gon says 'we stand behind you', and then Guinness is heard again: 'Rey?'. Again, 'behind'.

What girl, if they go with this idea? Does she have true grit? In True Grit she had, but the title also refers to his true grit, and to both discovering and respecting each others' true grit.

Wasn't the show's working title 'Pilgrim'? Was that a reference to John Wayne? The original true grit film was relased in 1969.
    [​IMG]
    That's a real gun.

Who knows; we shall see, we shall see.

12. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    Family sitcom, Obi Wan is the crazy neighbor.

I had stated previously: I like the idea of (something like) five years after Order 66 a guilt-ridden Obi Wan, catching wind of the Jedi purge and feeling he has no choice but try to stop or redeem his former best friend, briefly leaves leaves Tatooine. He finds Vader, everything goes wrong and he has to lop off more (mechanical) limbs, perhaps saving another hiding Jedi in the process...

I think its far more likely the story will revolve around Obi Wan's relationship with Qui Gon and that will be the catalyst for a spiritual journey of some sort. I highly doubt LFL will allow Obi Wan to leave Tatooine, but he could find himself on a different plane of existence or something along those lines... The idea that Obi Wan is the one who killed the Krayt dragon C-3PO walks passed in ANH seems like the sort of thing LFL would include as well. The idea that Obi Wan is protecting anyone other than Luke, though, is not appealing at all.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  13. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    What you can do with Kenobi during the time between Episode III and Episode IV is very limited.

Because no one should know what Kenobi was doing, the Empire and the majority of the Rebellion don't even know if he is still alive or not. So Vader and the Empire can't sense or know that he is there. Probably only Senator Organa, Leia and Mon Mothma knows about it, I am sure even Ahsoka didn't know it. We already know Hera Syndulla didn't know as well.

Kenobi must hide from everyone during this time, he can't show Jedi abilities as well. So I am expecting to see a ''spy'' like Kenobi, who is always hiding and working secretly even if he has to fight with someone else. Otherwise you can't explain how Vader and the Empire didn't know anything about Kenobi and the Tatooine if anyone learns Kenobi's situation.

However you can speculate how Obi-Wan's Force ghost training is going on, and you can make him communicate with Qui-Gon and Yoda while he trains to be a Force ghost.

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    They had better include Qui-Gon.

I'd also like to see Kenobi and Maul make an accidental mental connection through the Force at some point.

Erkan12 likes this.
  15. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    I'm sure Liam Neeson would do it. he does voice acting.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Maybe Qui-Gon could finally have a visible ghost.

whostheBossk likes this.
  17. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    I think the reason I'm worried about this show is that I'm worried it will undermine the gravity of Obi-Wan's exile. A legendary warrior and major player in galactic events sat in a hut in the desert for nearly twenty years - because what he was protecting was so incredibly important.

'Adventures' are not what he was supposed to be having. He was maintaining absolute secrecy and doing something incredibly boring because Luke was so important. He wasn't leading the rebellion or resisting the Empire or actively helping its victims because his task was above those things.

Not 100% sure what I'm saying here, but part of me just reacts against the idea of Obi-Wan having fun desert escapades or getting involved in gang wars, even to protect the innocent, during this time period. And anything bigger than that will make it very hard for me to suspend my disbelief that Obi-Wan wasn't detected, or was being careful to not be detected.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    Darth Chuck Norris and Erkan12 like this.
  18. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    I agree. Maybe there's some mileage in the story of a crazy old wizard keeping the peace around Luke, but mostly quietly. This'll emphasise his efforts to redeem, and reinforce his departure, in ANH.

It sounds a little better than watching Yoda on Dagobah.

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  19. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    Agree 100%. I've been trying to convey this same point.

20. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m open to anything, if done well. Baby Yoda in the Mandalorian was surprising in all the right ways, so I look forward to being surprised and delighted by this show. Whether that all happens on Tatooine, or on a bunch of planets, I’m open to it. If it’s done creatively. Being completely open-minded is the only enjoyable way of being a fan, in my view. The Mandalorian taught me that.

21. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    The difference is with baby Yoda, it's a new character and the show is establishing it's canon and as of now, has no bearing on the established saga canon. Obi-Wan is an established character with an established canon that is being tinkered with and could adversely affect the established saga canon.

22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    So? Creative "tinkering" can make it work.

23. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    Strategically creatively ingeniously but in a round about way that ultimately changes nothing that is already established.

Jesta' likes this.
  24. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Rogue One kinda fits this bill although most of the anta-/prota-gonists were new there.

I reckon it's do-able even within the restrictions on we place on it.

If it has plot that goes all over the place (metaphorically and geographically) we'll have lots of plot to discuss. If it's kept local, I could see a more reflective/intimate SW film with flashes of Jedi-ness.

25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    So? Stories are measured by how they are told, not by the bare bones of what happened. We’ve known what happens to Odysseus for over two millennia, and that doesn’t prevent it from being a great and timeless story.

eko32eko7 likes this.