main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The European Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DANNASUK, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Eh bien, l'ami, je vais t'inviter à lire The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich de William Shirer, La France des Années Noires de Jean-Pierre Azéma, Stalingrad d'Antony Beevor, Eine Frau in Berlin de Marta Hillers, et Der SS-Staat. Das System der deutschen Konzentrationslager d'Eugen Kogon. Histoire de te faire une idée de la dimension de cette guerre qui soit bien documentée, et montre à quoi elle a ressemblé vraiment de près et de loin.

The references I gave above are titles in the original language, translations normally can be found for all five. They aren't, by far, the most horrifying reference material I could suggest, but they give a comprehensive approach of what WWII, the occupation and its more commonplace atrocities looked like. Some offer a sweeping perspective, others get down to details.

2. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I did dementia care for five years. I nursed many people who experienced the trauma of WWII. The most traumatised were typically those from Eastern Europe who moved to the UK (where I nursed), during or shortly after the war. They re-lived that war every single day of their lives, and as they demented, it became more and more real, until, in their final months, weeks and days, they were back there; seeing their towns and villages getting razed to the ground; watching their parents getting shot or bayoneted; learning that every member of their immediate family was dead, sometimes by violence, but sometimes by disease and starvation. And they were considered the lucky ones... because they survived.

Yeah, I really want us to have another world war.

Jedi Ben, Darth_Duck, mnjedi and 10 others like this.
  3. Jaina's Boyfriend

Jaina's Boyfriend Jedi Youngling

Mar 15, 2020
    Imagine Star Wars without wars. It would be really boring. ;)

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Entertainment and real life are two very different things.

Wishing for another world war because it would be "epic" is incredibly ignorant. Don't be incredibly ignorant.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    Jedi Ben, mnjedi, Mar17swgirl and 7 others like this.
  5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Please tell me you're very young.

Jedi Ben, mnjedi, Mar17swgirl and 9 others like this.
  6. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    We don't live in a fictional universe.

Jedi Ben, Juliet316, mnjedi and 4 others like this.
  7. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Yes, that is true...and yes this has definitely occurred to me. That still doesn't mean we should want a war here in real life. Peacetime might be boring, but if you had been at the battles of Normandy or Iwo Jima...you would definitely prefer the boredom.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    Juliet316 likes this.
  8. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Have you ever actually been in physical danger?

Point Given , mnjedi, Rew and 5 others like this.
  9. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Lets stop beating around the bush; @Jaina's Boyfriend - You wouldn't have time to feel excitement in the event of a third world war. You would either have the flesh melt off your bones in the first wave of nuclear missile launches or you would succumb to a slow, painful death from radiation poisoning.

Even without the nuclear component, war isn't a glorified Flash Gordon serial. It isn't a sanitised, bloodless laser show. In the event of a world war, chances are that you'd be drafted and used as cannon fodder. And if you died at the end of a bayonet, starved in a trench or threw up your innards from a chemical attack, you wouldn't be remembered as a hero. You'd be a statistic, just for some imbecile 80-100 years later to ignore and say that they want World War 4 to happen.

If you are so bored with life, why don't you go enrol in the military, or sign up for some shady Private Military Company, and go get shot at in one of the currently ongoing wars happening right now. I'd say that you'd then grow up after seeing the horrors of actual warfare for yourself, but somehow I suspect someone whose ideas of war stem from a children's fantasy series probably wouldn't last a week in boot camp.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  10. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
  11. Jaina's Boyfriend

Jaina's Boyfriend Jedi Youngling

Mar 15, 2020
    I mentioned I was born in the 90s in another thread. So, now it depends on how you define "very young".
    So, I am supposed to be a troll because of my political beliefs? My belief still stands, you ones are free to have your own. Let's all be nice again, now. :)

12. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    wishing for another world war that would lead to the deaths of millions of people isn’t a nice thing to suggest.

13. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    So you're 20 at the youngest, 21 by the end of the year. Then you're old enough to enlist in the armed forces. Go knock yourself out, there's nothing stopping you from taking a bullet in the name of excitement and glory.

Jedi Ben, Juliet316, mnjedi and 2 others like this.
  15. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    me coming into this thread

Expectation: discussion about European response to Covid pandemic

Reality: some [redacted] advocating for ww3 because they are bored.

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    You'll find most of the Covid discussion in the Pandemic thread stickied up top here.

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    We're asking you to really think this through. War means people getting killed and horribly injured, and there needs to be a much better reason to fight one rather than simply for excitement. If you value human life, then war must always remain as the option of last resort.

Jedi Ben, Juliet316 and PCCViking like this.
  18. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Somehow, this reminds me of all the young German men who were overjoyed to join the war back in 1914. The last war on continental Europe that Germany participated in before 1914 was the German-French war from 1870/71. Which means that none of all those young men had experienced the brutality of war in their lifetime up to that point. When World War I began, they also tought it would be a glorious adventure that would last a few months.

Look how that turned out for many of them.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T580 mit Tapatalk

19. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Hell ask any veteran coming back from Iraq or Afghanistan how glamorous war is.

20. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Fixed. I don't think that naïve idealism about "glorious war" was unique to Germany...

Darth_Diealot, Jedi Ben and Juliet316 like this.
  21. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    It wasn't.

I remember a documentary that tried to paint the deaths of countless underage British boys as an act of selfless heroism for king and country, rather than the grim reality of military service being pushed culturally as a heroic adventure where you'd be home in time for tea and medals.

Darth_Diealot, Jedi Ben, Rew and 3 others like this.
  22. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Boris Johnson has been moved into an intensive care unit. They're discussing what should happen if he loses consciousness.

23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    If he's in an intensive care unit it's unlikely he meaningfully has consciousness in any case. Not sufficient to run a country.

24. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Raab is essentially substituting for him at this point. Gove pretty much said without saying it that alternate protocols regarding nuclear armaments are active.

25. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002