main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Official Star Wars Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Fat_Rancor_Keeper, Apr 17, 2010.

1. AmidalaLover

AmidalaLover Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 19, 2014
    Sweet! I love the Blu-Ray version!

2. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I still don't have the Blu Rays of the main 6 films. I'm still watching the DVDs. I still imagine being blown away when finally seeing them.

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    "Do what must be done."

Despite the issues with AOTC, they're still the best versions of the movies available (and probably the last versions in physical format with the 20th Century Fox intro).

4. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    So The Force Awakens will be released on 3D Blu-Ray next month... and the package includes some deleted scenes that were deliberately held back from the previous Blu-Ray release.

This cash grab stinks to high heaven. I mean honestly, TFA hasn't even been out on home video for a year yet and already they're double dipping. Still, this sort of thing ought to be expected from JJ Abrams and co after the Star Trek Into Darkness Blu-Ray debacle.

In the past I bought the SW 6-film box set because of the OT deleted scenes (otherwise I wouldn't have), but I really really don't feel like rewarding this blatantly crass double-dip. Ugh.

5. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    What issues do you think AotC has? Something technical? The only chance for the Blu-ray I'm aware of is the re-cut scene of Dooku's escape, which I have come to prefer over the original version.

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The Coruscant chase had some re-ordered shots as well. Both the chase and Dooku's escape are probably a mistake (not intentional) that happened when making the new master, considering the audio is chopped due to the sequence changes.

ZodaEX likes this.
  7. JediChipKelly

JediChipKelly Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    I hate double dipping from the studios, but it isn't just JJ Abrams who is doing it. Most popular franchise movies get double dipped all of the time, so I don't get mad about it anymore.

Or you could have the other end of the spectrum and have nothing as Lucas was always behind the times with DVD and Bluray:

-The Phantom Menace opened in Theaters 5/19/99 and it didn't come to DVD until 10/16/01.

-The OT didn't come to DVD until 9/21/04, as DVD had been out since 1997.

-The 6 Film Saga didn't come to BluRay until 9/16/11, as Bluray had been out since 2006.

So either you get double dipped by Disney now, or you have to wait years for the first release if Lucas were still in charge..... ;)

8. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I don't see what's the problem with waiting, more time for more content, I think it's still much content than what we got and unfortunately the movies aren't the only ones affected by this.Yes I'm also looking at you, Star Wars Rebels, where the contents for the blu-rays of the first two seasons was quite limited to be nice. Honestly, I'm waiting until the new trilogy is done to buy anything.

9. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I got the blu ray versions of the saga when it came out. I must say they look (and sound) fantastic!

TPM no longer has that pinkish hue throughout-with a new digital transfer the colors are more natural. Also: CG Yoda! (Looks amazing for CG actually)
    AOTC has a bit of a teal hue to it, but I actually like it cos it adds a little bit of grittiness to the feel of what you're seeing-especially in outdoor scenes. I've always felt the film looked a bit too...glossed over, with a video game-type color pallate. That's much better now. Also, we hear Shmi's voice in Anakin's dream-a nice addition IMO.
    ROTS looks amazing. Some issues with the stars just in the opening crawl, but otherwise that is one film (out of a few) I would play if I wanted to show someone just how good blu ray can look.
    ANH also looks amazing. Luke now has a blue lightsaber again on the Falcon (for the most part), different, more natural sounding krayt dragon noise from Obi-Wan. Surprisingly, close up/dialogue shots are especially crystal clear. The big improvement here is the sound. Score and effects got a complete remix (I actually read an article about the process), and although there are limitations to the subwoofer channel, as well as other sound effects, but the surround landscape is really utilized well and the sound equalizing issues that were all over the place for the dialogue on the DVD version have been completely fixed. Added bonus: That dramatic score is returned in the shot when the X-Wings descend into their attack on the DS.
    ESB has an overall improvement in clarity, and there's better color correction, allowing for a more natural color pallete. (i.e. Hoth no longer has that bluish haze).
    ROTJ has had the most changes, a wider shot for the door to Jabba's palace (a nice change to express the scale of his palace), a dug in the main audience chamber (take it or leave it) and of course, the infamous Vader "Nooooo" at the end. I don't mind that change so much though. (please don't hurt me for saying that!). Also the ewoks blink now. Overall though, a much sharper crisper image and more defined colors. This improvement is especially noticeable in the Endor space battle. There were also minor enhancements to the lightsaber effects and that ugly saber cross over the emperor in the DVD version has been finally fixed!!

I quite enjoyed the bonus material, but I was really dissappointed the PT deleted scenes on the DVDs were not included on there. I ended up having to keep my bonus discs from each of those. But stil, anyone who wants to see SW look the best it ever has (and has a blu ray player) should really get the blu ray collection!!

Wow, I really just let loose on all that...I suppose I should've posted this back in 2011...well, thanks for bearing with me here!

oierem and Seeker Of The Whills like this.
  10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Behind the times?! Every launch from Lucas was exactly at the right time, usually the peak of the format, taking advantage of the format's maturity and not holding out content for a quick re-release months after.

What use would a TPM DVD release be in 1999? How many people had DVD players then? It would be pointless. Besides, go check DVD releases from the 90's and how horrendous their masters are.

Kalarular likes this.
  11. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    According to some reviews, JJ's commentary is also on the 2D disc so nothing to worry about so far.

12. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/star-w...lu-ray-only--best-buy/6393929.p?skuId=6393929
    Finally made the jump to 4K Ultra Blu-ray. I knew it was only a matter of time after they dropped on Disney+. I'm glad to finally see a 4K physical release for saga. For something that's only otherwise available via a streaming and subscription platform, I'd rather own the films themselves. The films are also all available individually using the same artwork as the previous DVD release.

13. ThePhilistineCritic

ThePhilistineCritic Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 1, 2020
    Unless they release the unaltered versions, I’ll just stick with my 2006 DVDs and Disney+.

14. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    The thing is, I believe these are the same as the Disney+ versions. Which it makes sense that they were originally an exclusive to the platform to promote it in its infancy. Which honestly, they could have promoted it more based on the fact that it was a brand new 4K transfer.

15. ThePhilistineCritic

Apr 1, 2020
    Honestly, why bother to shell out the $250 for this set then? Just shell out the $7/month for Disney+, and get access to a million other movies as well.

Force Smuggler and Bazinga'd like this.
  16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Because physical media is still a lot better quality-wise than streaming? Also, because it's fun to be a collector. I still have SW on VHS for goodness sake. :p

oierem and SlashMan like this.
  17. ThePhilistineCritic

Apr 1, 2020
    I have it on VHS primarily because it’s the original theatrical version. By contrast, I got rid of my Raiders of the Lost Ark VHS a long time ago.

Besides, is the quality difference really that noticeable on a 32-inch screen? I also have to admit that I just don’t feel like spending any money on a box set that doesn’t include the original theatrical version. If I wanna see it in Ultra HD, Disney+ will be more than sufficient (and cheaper too), not to mention that so many other great films come with it.

18. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    I don't trust streaming services, period. I have no choice but to use it for the stuff that's just coming out but for anything I actually want to keep, I want it on media that has no dependencies on an outside service.

(This doesn't imply I'm interested in this particular set. It's a statement on streaming vs. physical media in general.)

oierem and SlashMan like this.
  19. ThePhilistineCritic

Apr 1, 2020
    I somehow doubt that Star Wars will he leaving Disney+ anytime soon. The selling point of it is that it has everything. All the Disney classics from Snow White to The Lion King, all the Star Wars movies, all the Pixar movies, all the Marvel movies, etc. They’d be fools to remove it.

20. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    While marginal, I still like the idea of owning the best possible presentation of the Star Wars films. For me personally, I think I'll invest in 1-6 and pick up the rest as I see fit. I'm a little picky with boxsets because plenty of them just hog up your shelf space.

Also, I'd bet good money they'll make other boxsets for each of the three trilogies to cater to more specific fans.

I agree; Star Wars is its own branch of Disney+, which is obviously because of its huge popularity, but by comparison to the other categories, there isn't as much content. Taking away any of the saga movies would be a huge loss.

21. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Once I finally upgrade to a 4K capable TV and player, I will be getting the skywalker saga set. $250 is a lot of money for me (especially when trying to justify it with my wife :p), but IMO it's worth it. I agree that although it's nice to have it on Disney+, it will look much better when played from an actual 4K device onto the system, as there will be no data lag or signal degradation from the source to the actual screen.

From what I've seen on Disney+ I'm quite excited. It looks like although the sharpness/clarity of the picture quality is only slightly improved (mainly just in the OT), it does what 4K does best, and vastly improves the color grading: the OT especially has whiter whites, deeper blacks, and a much more vivid yet natural color palette-especially with people. Also-perhaps the single thing I'm most excited about, (and I'm surprised to see one else mention this) is that this 4K transfer has restored the original colors of ALL the lightsabers! No more Luke's white lightsaber on the Falcon in ANH, no more Vader's pink lightsaber in ESB and ROTJ. This for me is the biggest treat!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  22. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    I just got my first 4K TV a couple months ago. It's also quite big (65"). I have enjoyed watching the 4K presentations on D+. However I don't own a 4K blu ray player, and not sure I want to invest in that so the streaming versions will have to suffice. It's too bad they don't have dolby atmos sound enabled yet on there like they claim to, at least not for my amazon fire 4k stick.

23. ThePhilistineCritic

Apr 1, 2020
    I’ll probably just buy a PlayStation 5 when that eventually comes out. (All of my Blu-ray players have actually been PlayStations.)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  24. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    New 4k steelbook for ANH announced on zavvi with the 3 discs, with original theatrical poster art as the cover. Not even released and already sold out on zavvi and already going for $100 on ebay. Word on the street is they will be doing this for all other Star Wars films, including the spinoffs. Anybody tempted to get these?

https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/star-...9_1589160971_ccb4b0d41f81775fbf0b06d8aa511322

25. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    You're kidding me. I literally just bought all 6 4K versions (though none have arrived yet). My luck I suppose. Does it include additional extras compared to the other versions?

Last edited: May 11, 2020