main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Home Video Release (Digital, Blu-ray, DVD, 4K UHD)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Feb 19, 2020.

1. kylokrennic

kylokrennic Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 31, 2020
    This all sounds reasonable to me. New toys tend to be overhyped. At least, on technical levels. The opposite is more the case when it comes to artistic merit.

And yes, it sounds like people might be getting a bit more critical of 2K releases when 4K versions are also instantly available.

We're kinda spoiled, these days, to put it mildly...

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I may be biased because of having seen the film too many times in another format. I assumed that was how the film was supposed to look, but I could be wrong. It's not unheard of for directors to sign off on a new transfer of a film even when it looks very different from what people saw originally.

kylokrennic likes this.
  3. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I gotta say, the BluRay for The Rise of Skywalker looked even better than the digital version. It's the compression. Also who knows what madness is going on with internet speed with everyone home right now all the time.

kylokrennic likes this.
  4. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    [​IMG]

For me it's more of a Dollars Trilogy situation.

5. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    WOW?!?!?! Is your TV calibrated? Are you watching in 4K or BluRay? Wondering what's going on here.

Also I think the 'Yellow' correct aspect ratio version of TGTBTU is the best version so far on home video (minus the weird overdub on deleted scenes) that I've scene. Our eyes can adjust to color grading.

I haven't send the redone versions of Fistful of Dollar and A Few Dollars More to compare......

But my eyes saw the same color grading on TROS in theaters as on digital. I only watched a few scenes of the bluray so far, but it also lined up.

I'll let you know for sure when i get to Ep9.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    kylokrennic likes this.
  6. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I agree I didn't see a difference.

@TCF-1138 I always thought the color grade on Blu-rays was Blue hence Blu-Ray Blu/Blue so the picture on a Blu-ray always has a Blue tinge or Blue hue to it...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    No. The name Blu-ray refers to the fact that it uses a blue laser to read the disc, instead of a red laser that DVD players use... this laser enables it to read more densely stored information.

8. kylokrennic

Mar 31, 2020
    Nah. It refers to Rey and the legacy saber. Ray is a misspelling.

[​IMG]

I told you guys Abrams likes his teal...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    Glitterstimm, MarcJordan, EHT and 4 others like this.
  9. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Watched the Skywalker Legacy doco last night. I thought it was quite good and thorough bar a few scenes (The final space battle) I was hoping to see more of. I'd never seen any of the OT material. Just makes me wonder how much is in the archives that's never been released.

lovethedarkside likes this.
  10. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Some blurays do have a weird blue tint. Take Wonder Woman for example. There's a black guy in the background and he looks blue. Now if it were an MCU film or an X-Men film you might be thinking, that guy's an alien or a mutant.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  11. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    The quality of physical media has not yet been matched by the current streaming compression algorithms. Especially regarding color reproduction in dark scenes.

Krueger and kylokrennic like this.
  12. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Some of that is possibly just the choice of the studio. Or, maybe its light bleed from the lcd. Lcds never look black, really.

I disagree 100%. The compression artifacts from streams are killer, from everything I have seen. Most 4k streams I've seen look worse than 1080p blurays.

13. kylokrennic

Mar 31, 2020
    I think that's exactly what the young lad was saying: streaming can't yet match the quality offered by encoding a film on physical media. There's too much compression with streamed media by comparison. Like YouTube. Which at equivalent resolutions is far inferior to the picture quality of DVDs and Blu-ray discs.

Ricardo Funes and Krueger like this.
  14. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    "Blue Rey" was actually kind of scary to me there...

15. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I think I am finally get to the stage where I can watch Rise again. I haven't since opening day.

And I think I can just accept it for what it is without getting silly about it.

I was going to wait until it hit D+, but maybe I'll fork out for the Google Play rental.

I know this doesn't matter to anyone else. Just muttering to myself.

16. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    You might even like it more now... I like it more now on re-watches than I originally did at the theater.

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Same here. And I initially liked it. But, I will admit that, on both counts, my appreciation of it is far more about the "feel" of it than its technical worthiness. I love the film. I also am wholly aware that it has filmmaking leprosy. The editing makes me want to hammer a nail into brick with my head, for instance. But, it just overcomes its storytelling choices by offering (as the plebeians say) "the feels".

18. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I think that following TFA's rather safe reboot to ease people back into the franchise, and TLJ's divisive installment, TROS at least finds its stride and brings back the spirit of Star Wars (pardon the pun) in that it is knockabout, hokey fun. It isn't particularly well made, the story is all over the place, but it just about holds together to give you a good time watching it. It will be a guilty pleasure movie this one, but that's okay.

19. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    The Rise of Skywalker has little faults, but the overall product was certainly welcome to me. Abrams had a good sense of the emotional and mythic elements, even though I think he was careless about certain continuity details. He reined in some of the glaring questions raised by the previous installment without wiping it away. The characters finally get to play off of one another in a context where one can feel a sense of shared history too. The main problems are problems of the kind one already got in The Force Awakens--expansion of powers and threat level that fit into an emotional journey but sort of play fast and loose with what viewers expect if they've been into the series a long time. I'll say what I've said before here. Given the corner into which he'd been painted, both in terms of the story and the loss of Carrie Fisher, I think he did a pretty good job.

The real question for me, if there is one, is whether this sequel trilogy was worth having at all. I will tentatively say yes--on the whole I am glad we got it, although it is a good question to ask and fans will answer it differently. But to me this last film did more to save than sink the sequel trilogy. To me it is very watchable and I look forward to watching it way too many times, just as I've done with the other Star Wars movies.

EHT and Ricardo Funes like this.
  20. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    So, I just watched Rise of Skywalker for the first time -[Nope]

It was far better than I expected! My opinion still stands the worldbuilding behind the Sequels is dumb, but I really felt entertained while watching TROS. My favourite parts were the space battle over Exegol and the confrontation between Rey and Palpatine.

I have to admit though that I was drunk while watching it, just like I still am. Maybe I'll write a real review tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2020
    chris hayes likes this.
  21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    No discussing piracy here.

EHT likes this.
  22. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Also, from the site rules... "posting while under the influence is also discouraged".

RetropME, chris hayes and TCF-1138 like this.
  23. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
  24. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Okay, so there.
    I'm watching my Legally Acquired Google Play copy of Rise.

So far so good.
    When I watched TLJ way back then, on the first viewing I loved so much of it but I couldn't get past them killing Luke. That was one of those precious things I really didn't want to have happen. When I had a break (of a couple of days) and accepted that was the story, I could get into it and I love that movie now.

So, Rise... Obviously I am still not a fan of Rey Palpatine, but again, deciding to accept it is the story (deal with it. GIF of sunglasses lowering) lets me relax and just have fun with it.
    I think also the fact that so much happens in the first 10 minutes of the movie was an overload for me. I couldn't absorb it, fit it into my personal Canon if you like, and so my brain in the cinema just said "no".

But now, today, it's kind of fun.
    I can still criticize the heck out of it, but it's fun.
    And that's a relief.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  25. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    The only downer from the digital and blu-ray release is The Rise of Skywalker has dropped from 6.8 on IMDB to 6.7 ,

side note :

ST on IMDB

TFA 7.9
    TLJ 7.0
    TROS 6.7

Wow that sums up the box office drop off to a tee :-B

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020