main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Ford threw out somewhat contradictory clues in two separate statements. In one he suggested April/May and in another he said like August/September. But he wasn’t that specific. I think he said a couple months and also said like this summer. That was before the covid outbreak in the US, so who knows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyLGR likes this.
  2. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Just noticed the news on Spielberg (yeah, real timely to the party, I know) and not really feeling the point of this any more. With Crystal Skull, you could at least say that it was based on ideas Lucas and Spielberg were tossing around since the nineties, and I know the former at least wanted to get it off his chest. Now? Eh, I dunno, though I wasn't super hyped to begin with.

3. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Apparently the release of this has been pushed back to July 2022.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Good, give the writers more time to work on the script.

5. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Christ, wasn't the original release date summer of last year?

Given the circumstances, I totally get why they're postponing production. It's just kind of funny how it's continually being pushed a year back. The more this happens, the less I feel I know about this movie

Until recently, I'd have said that the most we can know for sure is that Ford, Spielberg, and Williams will be involved. Then that changed. And with it getting delayed more and more, not to be morbid, but I can't help worrying even the other two thirds of that statement might not hold. Certainly hope it does, but just damn

DARTH_BELO, Sarge and cwustudent like this.
  6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Updated the thread title.

AndyLGR likes this.
  7. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Indy will be even older than the Grail Knight at this rate.

8. someoneinpassing

someoneinpassing Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2019
    Am I the only one hoping Indy 5 doesn't get made? Raiders was perfect. Temple was flawed but fun. Last Crusade was a great send-off (can you beat Indy literally riding off into the sunset?). Indy 4 was unbearable for me. I just don't want to see a repeat of Indy 4, which I fear this will end up being. Don't turn this into the Terminator or Alien franchises.

Sarge and cwustudent like this.
  9. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    I think it'll be fine, especially if Harrison legitimately wants to do this movie (which it seems like he's been suggesting in interviews).

10. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    My take is that Harrison will take on more of a Marcus Brody role. Do we want to see that?

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  11. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'll watch it, of course, but like SW now it's more because of habit and mild curiosity than me being legit excited for more story. Crystal Skull was a perfect ending for me.

12. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I liked Crystal Skull but I thought The Last Crusade was the perfect ending for the first "trilogy" of movies.

13. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Crystal Skull works more like a coda, being deliberately nostalgic, and provides a good "retirement" ending for Indy, being finally married.

But you are right about Crusade being a perfect ending.

Anyway, the movies are not part of a greater storyline, and work as independent adventures, so none of them needs to work as an ending, really.

14. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    If you mean a hapless sidekick, then no. If you mean an experienced mentor and friend to a new protagonist, then yes!

In my book, movies cant be any better than TESB or The Last Crusade. Other films can be as good as either one of these, but better is simply not possible. They are each as close to perfect as any film will ever get.

15. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I liked it when Indy teamed up with Sophia Hapgood in the Fate of Atlantis game.

If I were writing Indy 5, I would possibly consider something like the movie opening with Indy flying out to Cairo for Sallah's funeral, and teaming up with Sallah's daughter (somebody like Sofia Boutella below maybe?) when she shows Indy clues to the McGuffin that her father left her. That might work.

[​IMG]

DARTH_BELO and eko32eko7 like this.
  16. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    I agree. I actually liked the final scene to Skull, and as mentioned you can see it as one last adventure to cap things off, as Lucas had the general idea bouncing around for a while at that point. But Last Crusade hits the spot absolutely (hell, put me in the camp of having it as personal favorite among the whole lot).

Without even much investment from Lucas and Spielberg, there feels even less reason for this one--but I'm a never say never type, so I'll give the teaser a chance to pull me over at least.

Sarge and Darthman92 like this.
  17. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I'll be going to see it now matter no what, even though I think KOTCS was the weakest of the 4 I feel that Indy as a character and a franchise deserves me turning up to go and see it. Its been a huge part of my life that I'm not going to turn my back on it because Lucas and Spielberg aren't involved. For me they proved that with KOTCS that they aren't infallible so I'm more than willing to give others a chance with no. 5

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  18. DartJackson

DartJackson Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 26, 2020
    I used to admire TLC, too, but lately, both torn editing and an overabundance of inappropriate farce have become conspicuous. But overall, the film is certainly good. But if you take away the chemistry between Indy and Henry, the film isn't very remarkable. At least not enough to be considered the greatest film for all tiime.

19. antitoxicgamer

antitoxicgamer Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 9, 2020
    Will they even make the movie ?

It kinda feels like that Lucasfilm is too afraid to disappoint Indy fans which forces them to keep delaying the movie until Harrison Ford gets too old to play Indiana Jones.

At least George Lucas had the guts of actually releasing a new Indiana Jones movie.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  20. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    It is a wonderful film; one upon which I remark quite regularly. Inappropriate is the my favorite type of farce.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  21. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I mean there’s the whole Coronavirus thing, too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. antitoxicgamer

Sep 9, 2020
    At this rate, Uncharted movie will be released and then Lucasfilm will cancel Indy 5.

23. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    It has absolutely nothing to do with guts, and there is zero reason to assume that Lucasfilm or Disney are "too afraid" to make this movie...

Indy 4 took ages in development, with tons of different writers and one script after another being thrown out by one of the main players involved. The length of development of this one isn't even remotely close to the length it took to get Indy 4 on track.

Jar-Jar Binks and Princess_Tina like this.
  24. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Well, to be honest, it's getting closer and closer.
    It was 19 years between Last Crusade and KOTCS.
    It's been 12 years since KOTCS and it will take at least two more years to make the movie (if it's ever made).

25. antitoxicgamer

Sep 9, 2020
    Indy 4 took that long to make because Harrison Ford and Spielberg had some disagreements with George Lucas over the direction of the movie.(Which it took GL years to persuade them.)

Jar-Jar Binks and Princess_Tina like this.