main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Sports _____ vs _____ Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Apr 8, 2020.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Just a fun little thread to pass the time as we wait for sports to resume and/or be permanently cancelled.

Simple concept.

One person posts a hypothetical match-up. This could be two teams from different eras. This could be two teams from different sports playing a third sport. This could be two athletes competing in any kind of competition. Up to you when you post it.

The next person posts the winner of that match-up, and if they want to, they also post an explanation for why they chose the way they did. Then, they conclude their post with a new hypothetical match-up for the next person to decide. You can feel free to respond to other older match-ups, too - just make sure you respond to the one immediately prior to you as well.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

First match-up: 2012-13 Miami Heat vs. 2015-16 Cleveland Cavaliers. Best of Seven series, Heat have home court advantage.

2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    both teams barely squeaked by in the finals, but my biases tell me the cavs beat the better team. :p

also they literally did beat the team with the best record in basketball history so it's a bit more than just my bias.

prime tyson vs. prime ali

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That is amazingly tough, but I still go with Prime Tyson. I dunno though...

2015-16 GS Warriors vs. 1993-94 Knicks -- Knicks have home court...

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    '93-'94 Knicks; Warriors couldn't handle the physicality.

'85 Bears vs. '19 Chiefs

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    '85 bears. no weaknesses on defense, lots of speed in the secondary to neutralize the wideouts, good mixture of rushing and coverage linebackers to handle kelce and overwhelm the weak spots on kc's line. singletary a god-tier spy for mahomes scrambles. chiefs graded bottom third in the league against run, sweetness would run wild.

2004 red sox vs 1995 braves, 7 game series (sox get extra home game).

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The 1995 Braves took down the better team in the Series, so using #tomlogic, they get the win. Also, they are proven to extend curses, not end them. So, Braves in six, with a 1-0 win courtesy of a Dave Justice homer to take the series 4-2.

2003-04 Arsenal vs. 2019-20 Liverlpool. Two-legged aggregate goal series, no away goal rules. Second leg at Anfield.

heels1785 likes this.
  7. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Liverpool.

The Arsenal Invincible side played for draws in the last 5+ games and we very lucky to get draws and wins in some of the earlier fixture, Ray Parlour has even admitted that them going unbeaten was down to their uber defensiveness in the last few games.

The current Liverpool side would eat them up for fun over a two legged match.

Same scenario but last years City team vs the United treble winning team?

DarthIntegral and heels1785 like this.
  8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Maybe, but then in the playoffs the defense was amazing against the run. The '19 Chiefs had a fantastic ability to just pull **** out, you know?

Still, I think that's a really tough one. I've never seen the '85 Bears play, so that's really hard for me to judge.

9. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    The 85' Bears defense would have murdered the 2019 Chiefs offense. Literally. They all be in jail after the game for attempted murder. Otis Wilson put it best. If he played today, he be playing for free. :)

10. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I feel like that United team was better suited for a two-legged series, and City would get caught napping. City couldn't get past Spurs in a two-legged affair.

'01 Bonds vs '98 McGwire in a HR Derby under current rules for final round

FatBurt likes this.
  11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Bonds. Both were terrible at HR Derby but Bonds is way, way, way more competitive...

Someone else can toss up a matchup...

Luke02 likes this.
  12. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Yeah I feel like Bonds would have wanted it more.

Tiger Woods in his prime vs Jack Nicklaus in his prime......in a darts match.

LloydChristmas likes this.
  13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Except then they'd all be thrown out of the game. If we played by today's rules, would the 85 Bears be able to actually be that tough within the rules...?

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    If you can’t have teams playing under the rules of their day, this thread dies on its arse. At least that is the case with football, and it appears the case with American football.

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I agree. Have to take them each in their era..in which case, maybe the 85 Bears win. I honestly don't know how they deal with the Chiefs' speed, but maybe it doesn't matter once they destroy our O line :p

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Can you at least follow the rules of the thread while having your tangential conversations? :p

They tie for six rounds before a mystery third competitor shows up, and since it's a Monday Night, Cubbie defeats then both.

But in actuality, it's Nicklaus because he's from he's from Ohio.

LeBron James vs Magic Johnson in as game of H-O-R-S-E

17. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Given Lebron's weird issues with free throws I'll go with Magic, since a lot of it is similar.

Brett Gardner vs Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario in a bowling match.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Gardner, if only because his head looks like a bowling bowl.

'86 Mike Scott vs. '04 Carlos Beltran, game 7 of an LCS, bottom of the 9th...

DarthIntegral likes this.
  19. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Beltran, if there's no sign - stealing involved.

Hulk Hogan in his prime vs John Cena in his prime.

20. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Hogan with the booking leverage, Cena in kayfabe

Houston Astros vs. New England Patriots in hide & go seek with the seeker on the honor system

DarthIntegral and Juliet316 like this.
  21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Patriots, if only because today's Brady interview on the Stern Show today was pretty good (not great, but not bad :p ).

Lambeau Field vs. Arrowhead Stadium as a Super Bowl location...

22. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Agreed, City would play by far the better football but I think the 99 side would just squeek it though.

Just

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Arrowhead, if only because it's a newer stadium that would have some of the amenities the NFL would be looking for in a Super Bowl Stadium.

1995-96 Chicago Bulls vs 2015-2016 Golden State Warriors

solojones likes this.
  24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

Again, no modern team without Kobe or Lebron is beating MJ in his prime with Rodman v. Draymond being //chef's kiss.

1927 Yankees vs. 1995 Braves in a WS matchup...

CT-867-5309, Juliet316 and Luke02 like this.
  25. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Hogan @Juliet316 beat Andre the Giant. No way John Cena can match up against that. I think a more interesting battle would be Hogan in his prime vs Undertaker in his prime but at Wrestlemania. This discussion is bringing out the 9 year old in me!

And 27' Yankees @dp4m has they have too much firepower even if Maddox and Glavine are given the outside corner by a good foot. :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020