main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Binary Sunset, Jan 18, 2015.

1. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    It's so good and maybe Williams finest score

christophero30 and AndyLGR like this.
  2. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Agreed.

christophero30 likes this.
  3. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    it's the perfect movie. Such incredible talent behind the camera at the height of their powers. Should have swept the Oscars. Chariots of Fire won best picture that year. :rolleyes: Was nominated for best picture, which is rare for that type of film. That and Jaws are Spielberg's best imo. Marion's theme moves me to tears.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    AndyLGR likes this.
  4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Came in about halfway through here (forgot it was on).

AndyLGR likes this.
  5. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    Indy and star wars are basically Saturday morning serials...just brilliant

6. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    One thing I never got about Raiders is this...

The old man in Cairo reads the inscription from the Headpiece to the Staff of Ra and declares it to be "Around six kadam(?) high" to which Sallah confirms "About seventy two inches" or six feet.

"But, take back one kadam to honour the hebrew God whose ark this is"

So is that five feet? Just how small is Indy? lol

[​IMG]

It looks like Indy added an extra foot to make a seven-foot long staff, but that contradicts the revelation that "Belloq's staff is too long, they're digging in the wrong place"

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  7. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Have you added the height of the headpiece and the raised bit of the floor?

8. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    Sorry I took so long to answer this, I’ve been on forum furlough.

If you look at the photo (and movie) Indy is stood on that plinth with the hieroglyph markings and hole into which he slots the staff. I think Harrison is (or was) around six foot in height, so that staff, not including the headpiece, is around seven foot in length.

Just one of those movie details that doesn’t make sense.

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    For UK folks BBC1 will be running this on Good Friday from 640 PM-830 PM.

cratylus and christophero30 like this.
  10. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    A perfect movie. Saw it about 15 times in the theater.

StarYogi likes this.
  11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Looks like they are running through them for Easter weekend - TOD is on next Saturday starting at 625 PM. That's as far as the Sky Guide goes at this point.

12. someoneinpassing

someoneinpassing Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2019
    Other than ESB, Raiders is the only movie that is even arguably in the conversation as my favorite movie of all time. ESB and Raiders are 1 and 1A in my book (or the other way around, or maybe it's a tie).

Like ESB, the pacing of Raiders is perfect. Iconic action sets combined with pitch perfect dialogue and quieter moments.

"I said I'm sorry."
    "Well say it again!"
    "Sorry."

What a great movie. Endlessly rewatchable, just like ESB.

StarYogi likes this.
  13. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    Agreed. Raiders of the Lost Ark defines the “perfect movie” to me. Talk about lightning in a bottle.

It is the culmination of a perfect concept, story, characters, cast, director, pacing, musical score...everything. It is equalled only by the movie that I consider its sister piece, the tonally different but equally fantastic Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

It is genius how it sets up its premise and main character in the first ten minutes, in what is surely one the best openings to a movie, period, but which also feels like the end to some previous unseen instalment. That opening is so ingrained in pop culture now, the traps and rolling stone ball, but it feels so original, even if it is a homage.

StarYogi and Django Fett like this.
  14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Carrying on from the films being run for Easter here in the UK, Last Crusade will start earlier on BBC1 on Sunday - 435 PM. And Crystal Skull will start at 640 PM on Easter Monday.

15. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    Whenever I see my childhood pal I say to him

"And the museum? The museum gets the Ark when we're finished?"
    To which he replies of course
    "Oh....Yes!!"
    We then do the wide-eyed double grin and then shake hands furiously.

cratylus and BlackRanger like this.
  16. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    "Raiders" is a great adventure film, but it had its flaws.

17. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    [​IMG]

Uh huh? Name one lol

18. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Film note for UK folks - this Friday afternoon Talking Pictures TV (Sky channel 328) is showing the 1954 film The Secret of the Incas starring Charlton Heston. In the blurb the film is 'said to have inspired the Indiana Jones films'. I've never seen it so I might watch. Showtime is 2:55PM-5:00 PM.

19. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    So you've got your own version of Henry and Marcus' "genius of the restoration, aid our own resuscitation!" handshake.

20. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    Ha ha - I guess so.

It originated really from finding Marcus' delivery of that line, followed by them both grinning, to be quite funny. And then we sort of adopted it as kids. Almost forty years later and we still do it. We'll grow up one day I'm sure lol

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Looks like The Last Crusade might not be showing today on BBC1. The daily Coronavirus press conference has just ended and the next thing my Sky Guide lists is Attenborough and the Giant Egg at 5:35 PM.

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Update - The Last Crusade will now be shown as part of a double bill tomorrow on BBC1 from 1:40PM- 3:40 PM. Crystal Skull will follow later from 6:40PM - 8:30 PM.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    AndyLGR likes this.
  23. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
    I'm sure some people are probably wondering why they're showing the Indy films on BBC 1 so soon after they were on last Christmas. But they could show them, in particular Raiders on TV every week for me and I would be a happy camper, its one of those films I could jump in and watch at any point at any time. I think over the years its become my favourite film of all time.

24. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Like literally every film ever made.
    Both objetive flaws (continuity mistakes...) and subjective "flaws" (which are not universally agreed).

AndyLGR likes this.
  25. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
    Did you watch it ? I recorded it, although I have seen it before. There are plenty of shots that look to have been borrowed for Raiders, but Raiders does it better as its much more action orientated. The inca singing scenes look so dated and awkward now.