main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Future Of The Force/Force Users Post TROS

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Ghost, Mar 25, 2018.

?

They should, whether still called "Jedi" or not... (see post for more detailed descriptions)

1. 1A- allow marriage/offspring/family

56.8%
  2. 1B- NOT allow marriage/offspring/family

9.6%
  3. 1C- multiple temples, some like 1A, some like 1B

24.0%
  4. 2A- be centralized, all accepting assignments obediently from a single council/leader

10.4%
  5. 2B- NOT be centralized, wandering do-gooders following the Force

31.2%
  6. 2C- multiple temples, some like 2A, some like 2B

36.8%
  7. 3A- affiliated with the (Newer?) Republic

14.4%
  8. 3B- NOT affiliated with any government

46.4%
  9. 3C- mutiple temples, some like 3A, some like 3B (and some even possibly serving other governments)

21.6%
  10. 4- Should be of all careers/cultures, not strictly "Jedi"... & even non-sensitives

21.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    I made my choices rather casually here.

Properly speaking, I think the Jedi are not wrong to forbid attachment. However in the moment of answering this poll I wavered.

I'm a little more serious about them not having a commitment to the New Republic. They should work with them, sure, but not get as entangled as things were during the prequel era.

2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I don’t see why not. The New Republic was the main political force for good in the galaxy. The Jedi were right to try to defend it from autocratic and regressive threats. They just messed up and got outmaneuvered by Palps.

3. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    There's this Reddit post where someone says that Rey, Ahsoka, Ezra, and Cal restarting the future Jedi would carry on Luke's legacy, and I can't see the logic behind this kind of thinking. Three of these people didn't, as far as we know, train with Luke at all, and Rey's involvement with him was limited and often negative. If anything, wouldn't she be carrying on the tradition of Leia, or "all of the Jedi," or the sacred Jedi texts?

At the very least, without some specifics behind Rey's Jedi ideology that connects to Luke, carrying on his legacy seems tenuous at best. Adopting his last name isn't the same as carrying on whatever beliefs he had, or practices.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  4. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    One of the reasons I generally don't like prequels in the Star Wars universe is that on some level they're haunted by the idea that eventually nearly all the Jedi are going to be killed. A sense of inevitable doom is always hanging out in the background. Part of the reason I want to see movies set after TROS is that that those movies wouldn't have the inevitable doom hanging over the heroes and the Jedi in particular. In fact it would give the writers the chance to give the movies a sense of optimism like the OT had. They'd be free of that feeling that none of this matters because later on all the good guys lose/die.

I want the future of the Force users to be positive. I'm tired of stories about the Jedi set during a time when we know the Jedi's days are numbered.

5. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    You could have the Jedi victory of making the Sith "extinct"? That'd be a high point as they go on to guard the peace for the next thousand years.

Mostly Handless and Bor Mullet like this.
  6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Then just don’t make those movies exclusively focused on the Jedi. Simple solution.

But when you’re talking about the deep past - the early Jedi? Then it doesn’t matter. Movies about early Jewish peoples don’t lose their value because of pogroms thousands of years later. In a way, that enhances their narratives. The early stories of the later persecuted Jedi are more interesting than their unknown future, IMO, in part because of the hardships I know they will face. The history of a doomed people just seems even more fascinating to me than the history of just anyone.

But that may simply be because I prefer historical fiction to speculative sci-fi. So digging into the deep past is more interesting to me. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    Mostly Handless likes this.
  7. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Any discussion post-TROS is pretty much a waste of time given the creators are looking back rather than forward.

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Post-TROS doesn’t have to be chronologically in the future. But they will get there eventually too.

9. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    The SW story really is rooted in force users. Even in the Mando- the titular character may not be a force user, but the most popular character is. They can and should make stories that are not focused on a force user, but in the end, that can't be taken away from the saga as a main point. In the GFFA, the fortunes of the galaxy rise and fall with what happens to force users, so force users need to in the end be a primary part of the stories that move the next (future) saga forward.

While I don't agree with all of the specifics here, I totally agree that a fresh start without the baggage of the past, and without any certain future outcomes is a good thing; creation of a sense of wonder at how things will unfold, as was the case in the OT as you mention, would be great.

Of course, that sense of wonder requires very good material as well as something new, so let's hope they are up to the task.​

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  10. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I see it as the opposite, especially in light of what we got with the Jedi in the ST.

Your talk about prequels issues such as inevitable doom fits with the PT era/dark times, but I don’t see those problems for distant era Jedi like in the High or Old Republic.

The future of the Jedi post TROS is still bleak. 31 years after RoTJ and their is only 1 Jedi left. One who is still has less experience then the Jedi master Luke, whos Jedi order failed. I believe Rey will bring back the Jedi, but it will never return to its former glory/numbers. I bet Disney will still want to keep the Jedi to small numbers for reasons after TROS.

On the other hand, tales about Jedi during the High Republic or Old Republic, or even the early Jedi of the pre-Republic era have advantages of......

Plot armor that prevents the Jedi from reaching super small numbers. An order we know stilll has long life in it. Like Jedi post TROS they have the benefit of not being around when Order 66 happens.

More stories to tell simply.

I know when getting a story about an ancient Jedi, he is part of a movement that lasts over a thousand generations. With Rey’s Jedi their is a lot less certainty.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I wonder how likely it is that we might get a huge time-leap forward with one of the new trilogies or anthologies. Imagine jumping forward 10,000 years from TROS.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  12. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Perhaps more likely 300-400 years, so Disney can make money filling in the gap from post-ST with novels and comics.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  13. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Like I said, make a Flash Gordon-like series with a Flash Gordon-like protagonist.

Have there be this Force-user who uses a blaster that goes around with his pals fighting evil every Saturday or so. Have "ronin" like Force-users about set hundreds of years after the ST. That would be how I do it. The Jedi can be in the background growing in might and reclaiming their past glory. Maybe the main protagonist himself or herself trained under them. But it would be nice to see a Force user that's independent of the Jedi.

14. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Not bad.

My ideas have similarities to this. I thought of someone in a separated, desolate world where the character learns to develop their powers independently, not knowing what they are, but having a talent for self-teaching to use them (since each Jedi has a gift other Jedi don't, this would be feasible). Then something like your scenario, the person fights evil in their own environment with these powers, and ends up perhaps connecting with a larger group of developing Jedi; they eventually help him understand his powers. That's the very brief version anyway.

15. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    My idea was that it would be called:

The Adventures of Bendak Starkiller

Based off of the original scripts by George Lucas; think the comic adaptations of those scripts but more refined and "up-to-date" with new ideas.

Lee_ likes this.
  16. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    You rang? :p

For the post-ST galaxy, I'd like to see a more individual take on the Jedi. No order, no academy, just individuals exploring the Force on their own like @Lee_ suggests. Make that Jedi character special, like Luke in the OT. Maybe if Daisy Ridley can be persuaded to come back at some point they can cross paths with Rey, or if not she can be a legend/rumour/inspiration to new Jedi characters.

I certainly wouldn't want to jump to there being a large, established Jedi Order. If that is a goal for filmmakers, let's build up to it. Let's see these self-trained Jedi encounter one another and form bonds, and then let that grow into a new order naturally. Like the Avengers.

If you want a story where the Jedi are already well-established, then there's always the Old Republic. The post-ST can develop in its own way rather than being a mirror image of earlier eras.

Mostly Handless, Ghost and Lee_ like this.
  17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The cinema will erupt when the words, "Not all that long ago, in a galaxy very close to our..." silently appear on the screen.

18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The camera tilts down, following a ship to the surface of a desert planet...and the Statue of Liberty poking out of the sand.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "There goes the planet".

Bor Mullet likes this.
  20. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    The idea of non-Jedi Force users doesn't really interest me much when it's framed as just another iteration of the super hero discovery of powers plot. If not Jedi, then at least some other intriguing new order who interpret the Force differently.

I'm most interested in seeing a new Jedi Order emerge and function differently than the PT Jedi, overcoming the old weaknesses but faced with their own.

21. Darkstrider

Darkstrider Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2020
    Why just Lightsiders?

I think they (writers) should explore the comprehension of the Force from the Mortis point of view...

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    1. Because that's what I wanted this thread to focus on, and I wanted it to be broader than "Jedi" to avoid semantic debate again.
    2. The Mortis episodes which proved that light and dark living in harmony is an illusion that should not be a goal?

23. Darkstrider

Darkstrider Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2020
    So you equate the Jedi with the Light siders?

Mortis was not about that. It was a demonstration of how both light and dark are a part of the one. Chosen one. The whole event happened in Anakin's mind....
    The trilogy was about how the only way to become who he meant to be is to embrace it both, win over both, not just deny one side, pretend it doesn't affect him. But he couldn't do it, neither as Jedi and neither as Sith...hence he lost the title of the Chosen one.
    As a side note...Dunno where you saw harmony in constant battling of one against the other, the Son and the Daughter, having to have an arbiter to keep them in their place in balance, both by Force and by force.

I would like to have seen how Kylo/Ben lived the rest of his days with the memories of all he has done, all he has lost and all he had caused, good or bad. Dying is easy, living is hard. Specially if you are strong in the Force...and have conscience. I am more curious about the intrinsic aspects of the Force sensitives within themselves than I am of their political ambitions. I see them primarily as lone wolves and not as an exclusive society or kaste that have some common (political) goal.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  24. The Original Sith

The Original Sith Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 12, 2017
    I’m glad I’m not the only one that feel that way. I’ve been writing a new trilogy in my head and I would prefer a new trilogy set about 1000 years after the events of TROS. Luke, Leia, Padme, Han, Vader, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Palpatine and anyone else that lived during the “Skywalker” era would be biblical. Pretty much the same way we see Jesus, Moses, Mary etc.

25. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I do like the idea of just cutting the ties from The Saga and starting afresh. The story of the New Jedi Order. With an unknown future ahead, though hey, it's Star Wars and Tragedy will happen eventually. I hope they are brave enough to do it, but at the moment it all seems to be attached by an elastic band to New Hope. Sometimes you can stretch the rubber band a long way into the past or future, but you always come snapping back.