main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Who Should Direct the Next/Future Star Wars Film(s)?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 14, 2019.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    A safer bet with Vilkeneuve would be to give him a Disney+ exclusive film or TV show. That way he wouldn’t have to compromise for the mainstream audience, while potentially creating a huge audience at home. There’s little risk in that.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I agree. I would love Dentist Valhalla to direct a Star Wars. I'm sure Dennis Vulcanancydrew would do a great job. Praise for Danish Voodoonexus

3. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    I'll eat my hat if Denis ever signs onto a Star Wars project. Tasty, tasty hats.

He so doesn't seem the type. Love him, but he's going to want total autocratic control on a project. Lucasfilm's (rightly) not going to offer it.

4. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I could see him being given a lot of creative freedom for an original TV film project for Disney+.

5. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Jon Favreau, with the help of Filoni.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to say that. ;)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    Lee_ and dolphin like this.
  6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Rian Jhonson, with lore helop from Filnoi. We know that Filnoi has learned how to make live action from RJ. And Filoni has given him advice on what to watch and read when making star wars movies.

Lee_, dolphin and Demon4x4 like this.
  7. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Why would you want to bring someone back whom so many SW fans hate? How would that be good for the fanbase?

Other talented directors exist, and plenty who are female or people of color, why insist on the controversial white male?

8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    many SW fans love to, remember that. And LF likes working with the story group likes him. KK likes him. And unlike JJ he has vision for SW and where it needs to go.

dolphin likes this.
  9. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    1) George, Zuckass and Filoni

And leave out Filoni's baggage, checked-luggage, carry-on cases, and backpacks of baloney

2) The droids direct an entire SW film from an in-universe perspective

This would be like a droid documentary. The droids are shown reporting to supercomputers like Mistress Mnemos from the Russ Manning SW newspaperstrips.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  10. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    You're willfully ignoring the point: why bring someone in who many SW fans hate? Why create more controversy when you can find someone better and less controversial?

11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    i could say the same to you. like said many fans love him, and his movie has aged fine in the last year. you say controversy, i say visonary.

12. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    You can't say the same to me except with empty rhetoric. The facts are, the truth is -- these things still hold importance in our narcissistic world -- that many fans hate Rian Johnson. It's beside the point whether some like him. The point is that he's controversial while other directors wouldn't be.

As for him being a visionary. That's also laughable. What vision does he create? Nothing.

He's full of tricks and gimmicks with genre conventions. Postmodernism is old and tired -- there's nothing visionary about it anymore, if there ever were. It's just another form of hypersubjectivity. As we can see in our culture, this is nothing to celebrate. Nihilism never is.

13. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Funny how you talk about facts, only to proceed and present your own opinions as facts as well. Talk about hypocrisy...

That being said, you can make a case for going with a director who hasn't been involved with any of the movies yet, simply as a means to go with a fresh start and a director who hardly anybody has preconceived opinions about.

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Slow your roll or what we will be talking about is how to be unbanned. I'm sorry someone said something unpleasant about a director you like but that is not an opening to dogpile on a member and discuss them rather than the topic.

15. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    ^ This. RJ all day.

Demon4x4 and Fredrik Vallestrand like this.
  16. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    With the exception of Scorcese, Villeneuve is my favourite director working today - but he's never made a film that would even remotely fit the Star Wars universe tonally. I don't doubt he *could* make a Star Wars movie if he set his mind to it, but would he want to?

In my opinion, TLJ was a deeply flawed film. But there was a lot there that I liked, and I think Johnson pulled off by far the most interesting character work in the sequel trilogy. As a big Looper fan, I also know that he's a quality filmmaker with enormous potential. I think he's the best man for the job - he brings a level of cinematic flair and seriousness that it would be hard for an MCU alumnus, for example, to replicate.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  17. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I mean, he's basically making Dune right now so he can do something that's similar enough to Star Wars, in respect to the sci-fi/fantasy mythology, but without having to adjust his stylistic tendencies or tonal preferences.

IlhamKamaruddin and Bor Mullet like this.
  18. Jolee Bindo

Jan 5, 2016
    I think Villeneuve's Dune will be very, very different to Star Wars tonally and stylistically.

19. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    As do I, that's what I was trying to say. It'll be consistent with Villeneueve's tonal and stylistic preferences, but will allow him the opportunity to dabble in a similar world. He won't have any need, or likely any interest, in doing a Star Wars film after this, because he's essentially getting it out of his system while still doing it his way.

20. Jolee Bindo

Jan 5, 2016
    Ah gotcha, sorry for the misunderstanding!

PymParticles likes this.
  21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    That’s OK. Just don’t let it happen again. Pym is not very forgiving of honest mistakes. Flies off the handle real easy.

Jolee Bindo likes this.
  22. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Patty Jenkins!
    [​IMG]

Jolee Bindo likes this.
  23. Jolee Bindo

Jan 5, 2016
    Good idea

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  24. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I loved Wonder Woman!

25. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I had my problems with Wonder Woman, but she would indeed be a great choice.

Leoluca Randisi likes this.