main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Spielberg Not Directing Indy 5- James Mangold in Talks to Replace

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Bazinga'd , Feb 26, 2020.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

hahah Mangold's inherent snarkiness could be fun both in an Indy movie and outside of it on the promo tour.

Darthman92 and christophero30 like this.
  2. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    If Mutt/Henry Jones III is in it could he be the lead, could the film also be a "handing over the torch" movie, setting up the series with a new lead and set in the late 60s and early 70s???

If that happens a recast would be needed, but who?

Darthman92 likes this.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Chris Pratt, obviously.

Darthman92 likes this.
  4. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    They actually had an “old” Indiana Jones in The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. I’m not sure what his role in the show was or how extensive it was, but there is a precedent for it. And it’s something they can possibly draw inspiration from. At the very least, they can give him that badass eyepatch.
    [​IMG]

Emperor Ferus and Darthman92 like this.
  5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Maybe explain how he got it..

Darthman92 and Encuentro like this.
  6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Indy fights a younger clone of himself and gets impaled on a sharp broken corner of the box that contained the Ark.

eko32eko7, BigAl6ft6 and Darthman92 like this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Or maybe the crystal skull was guarded by a flerkin.

Darthman92 likes this.
  8. Darthman92

Darthman92 Force Ghost star 6

Feb 24, 2016
    He’s a talented director who could pull it off m, but I just hope that that doesn’t mean Disney themselves want to essentially make an Indiana Jones edition of Logan as a reaction to criticisms of Crystal Skull being too silly and take the opportunity to write out both Marion and Mutt. Albeit while limiting it to a PG-13 rating. Which is kind of what The Last Jedi was now that I think about it. Lol. I’m just saying I think it’s a wild mismatch for Indy if that’s the direction they go. I’m not completely convinced that this is what they are going to do, but it feels plausible enough for me to worry. Haha

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    Emperor Ferus and Django Fett like this.
  9. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    Maybe they'll poke his eye out in this movie.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    so with COVID19 do we know when filming starts? The film was to start Filming in 2020 Summer or spring with an eye on a 2021 release date. but what now the release date is now 2022 does that mean filming starts in 2021 and does this mean James Mangold isn't attached to direct anymore?

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  11. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    It means the project is in developement hell and it's not ready to start pre-production yet. All these release dates mean nothing until they have a script and they can begin building sets and casting people.
    With Spielberg stepping out of it, it's another step closer to the film not being ever made.
    Or maybe, now that Disney can hire any director/writer they want (without having to wait for Spielberg to want do it), it means we are closer than ever to the film. Who knows.

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Unless they do all the filming in the US, they'll at least have to wait til things are back to 'normal' with the airlines for international travel.

13. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I felt that one of the problems with KOTCS was it didn't feel very big in its scope, confining itself to North and South America and studio bound with sets. So I hope the new one is a bit more expansive and travels to other countries.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    Sarge likes this.
  14. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    I do like how each film is focused on one continent (Raiders=Africa, Temple=Asia, Crusade=Europe, Skull=America), and how in Skull Indy travells from North to South America, each step bringing him further away from the western civilization, and closer to an ancient civilization.

Temple of Doom is also confined in one continent. I guess it feels more exotic for people living in the western civilization.

BigAl6ft6 and DARTH_BELO like this.
  15. ThePhilistineCritic

ThePhilistineCritic Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 1, 2020
    I have to admit I’m not excessively disappointed. Given the lackluster nature of Spielberg’s direction on the last film, this isn’t too surprising. I also have to admit that I’m just not looking forward to this at all. Harrison Ford is pushing 80 and I’m not sure what the point of it all is. It’s not as if they’re gonna drag him behind a moving truck or throw him out of a plane on a rubber raft at this point.

16. May The Force Be With Stu

May The Force Be With Stu Jedi Padawan star 1

May 9, 2019
    I just say let it go. As much as I love Indy - in my mind these films are over. I have no need or desire for a new one.

17. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003

This is my thought as well. I'd be perfectly happy if they just lay Indiana Jones to rest. If they suddenly release another one in like three years or whatever, IMO it would only seem...forced, and unnecessary.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't know I would assume that the story would take into account Indy old age. Y'know like that other Mangold movie, Logan

19. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I don't see how that was a problem, considering that a good deal of the movie was in South America. South America wasn't expansive?:confused:

20. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    No I thought it was small scale and too set bound. I like the globe trotting adventure aspect of Raiders and Last Crusade.

21. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    South America was small scale?:confused: Okay, if that's how you feel. I just don't agree with you. Personally, I don't see the need for every Indiana Jones movie to feature him traveling from one country to another. As long as I like the story, I'm fine. Fortunately for Lucas and Spielberg, I enjoyed the stories of all four movies.

Why did Spielberg reject the offer to direct this fifth movie again?

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  22. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    He might have seen what happened with Lucas and Disney and decided he didn't want his story treated the same way.

Just a theory.

23. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Well Its not Lucasfilms fault they didn't create COVID19 All films and studios are dealing with the same thing I am sure it starts filming in 2021!
    Did you see Harrison in Call Of The Wild? He was really good in it Harrison still brings the goods! I still think Spielberg makes great films, War Horse, Tin Tin Secret Of The Unicorn, Bridge Of Spies, Lincoln, The Post, The BFG, and Ready Player 1 were all great films IMHO! And I might be in the minority But I loved Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull! I probably really dug Indy 4 so much because I love Ancient Aliens and the Paranormal and The X Files, the X Files movie basically ended the same way as Indy 4! James Mangold is a great Director I trust him with Indy 5!

So to me Indy 4 was a big ole Homage to X Files movie ending and Ancient Aliens and I loved it!

Tython Awakening likes this.
  24. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Agreed. @Leoluca Randisi I watch these shows as well. Indy IV was like an Ancient Aliens version of Indiana Jones. I think Indy 5 might have to continue bringing in the Ancient Aliens themes.

Unfortunately, I don't see anyone on here interested in discussing Ancient Aliens, Star Wars and Indiana Jones together.

25. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    As someone in the 'KOTCS wasn't that bad' camp...it's almost guaranteed they won't. I mean I'm not sure what they'll do given Harrison's age, but the flying saucer themes were and are...divisive at best.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    christophero30 likes this.