main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Considering selling my extensive Legends collection

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TOD-UK, Apr 6, 2020.

1. TOD-UK

TOD-UK Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    And was wondering if this board would be a good place to get people’s opinions on pricing for some of the rarer items?

2. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    First of all... WHY?

Quitting SW, monetary needs? Digitalisation? If it is financial trouble there are other ways of fans helping fans hopefully!

Second, do you want to sell individual items or entire lots only? I certainly could need few items depending on price and shipping to Germany. (Wizards of the Coast Rpg Gamer Magazine #2 f.e.) amongst few other WEG works.

3. TOD-UK

Mar 4, 2002
    there’s literally only a couple of books I need that stops it from being a almost complete collection of EU works. I’m 43 and don’t really wanna spend the next 10-20 years hunting them down haha. And whilst my love of SW hasn’t diminished, the completionist in my dosent feel the same way about Canon as I did Legends.

I’m only testing the waters at the moment. If I’m gonna do this then ideally I’m gonna want to shift it all over a few months, rather than just selling the odd book here and there. Then it becomes a collection that’s slowly atrophieing (?) and no one wants to see that

Tython Awakening likes this.
  4. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    DON'T SELL!!! You'll never get it all back, and you will never recover the time and effort it took you to amass what you have. Digital isn't the solution, even if you have electronic copies of everything. You have what looks like just 2 bookshelves (I have a lot more), but you've still got enough to re-read and continually enjoy for many years to come. Ever since the reboot I've just been sticking to what was already established over 38 years. You could easily find yourself doing the same. There will be regret towards selling, and when there is whatever money you get will not be worth it. You're only looking at around 2 to 3 Grand at most, if sold all at once or in a few big lots. If you sell individually, it'll be even less once you factor in the time it takes you.

But, if you really must sell (you shouldn't, to repeat), now is not the time. Wait at least a few years. There's already quite a lot of EU works and editions, some of which I see on your shelves, that are getting very tough to find. In the years to come, you'll be able to get a lot more than now, particularly if you keep the collection intact, or at least keep individual sets and storylines complete.

Now, there are a few ways to rejuvenate your SW love, and not just through massive and lengthy re-reads (which will keep you busy, either chronologically or by release date). You can add in quality fan works, replay all the games and with mods, etc. New mods and some projects (Supernatural Encounters), plus the inevitable additional Marvel comics set in the EU (it's not "Legends") are just the tip of what is likely to be a very deep iceberg of future official "Legends" releases. Don't dismiss the notion- there's serious talk about bringing back the EU after what's happened with the newer stuff. The probability of the EU coming back to life is something you should keep in mind.

Besides, by your own account your ideal set isn't complete, as you say that there's still several works that you don't have. As a collector myself, what are you missing? Do you have every EU lore source- all the TV releases, card games, video games, overseas exclusives, roleplaying issues, etc? What were the most difficult works for you to track down that do have?

5. Jaina's Boyfriend

Jaina's Boyfriend Jedi Youngling

Mar 15, 2020
    Sinre Edit: Let's not glamorize your behavior.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2020
  6. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I wouldn't sell if I were you. You know those legends books to me still stand tall over Disney canon. There was something magical back then. Some of it was hokey, but boy a lot of it wasn't.

7. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Sinre Edit: Removed Jain's Boyfriend's comment and quote.

just use a library, that’s what I do. And most library systems now have a bunch of stuff available in digital format as well, so you could even access some of them with your same tablet, for free without having to pirate.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2020
    ColeFardreamer likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    In the middle of a global pandemic isn't a good time to sell as an individual.

As to pricing, its tricky. Do you want to sell or get profit? Collectors might pay up to 2 to 3 times RRP.

Ebay auctions are time finite, Amazon is not - it lists until it sells.

You might get some cash for hardbacks, comic trades are good, rare vid games will sell well, forgot paperbacks - give those away.

Finally, the sell pattern will be very erratic, unless you do a fire sale perhaps.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  9. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    After TFA came out I went temporarily (going on 5 years now) crazy and sold almost all my SW comics and a lot of figures. Kind of like when a relationship ends and you rip up pictures and cards of your ex in a fury. Kept every novel but haven't reread since then. Honestly, now that I look at my collection there's about 1/2 I regret getting rid of. Just saying if you're going down that path make sure its what you really want to do.

Darkslayer likes this.
  10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I've thought about selling all my old EU novels (well, 95%) just because I have nowhere to keep them other than a couple big boxes in my closet but teenage me was a monster and bent the **** out of the spines so they're worth even less than they normally would be. With profit being basically out of the question I think what I'll ultimately end up doing is donating them to the library--so at least they'd have a chance of getting read rather than pulped.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  11. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Which ones are you missing? As an OCD completist, I need to know!

12. TOD-UK

Mar 4, 2002
    The big 2 are Missions #17 and Meltdown On Hoth

SheaHublin likes this.
  13. FromDromundKaasWithLove

FromDromundKaasWithLove Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2020
    As someone who loans most of their reading material and always has, I would definitely recommend trying to donate books, comics and games to libraries first. It's not always a sureshot that they'll be interested in your stuff and sometimes, they might only be interested in half of it or only a little.

If a library doesn't want your stuff, there's also plenty of other places that might want them and would really appreciate the donation.

Trust me when I say that a donation can really make a difference for someone, child or adult, who can't get the material themselves for whatever reason.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    Jeff_Ferguson and CooperTFN like this.
  14. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Ah. Yeah, those late Missions books are tough, but didn't know Meltdown on Hoth was. One of Chris Trevas's first Star Wars titles, IIRC.

The impossible one for me, way back when, was a UK-only choose your own adventure bind-up called The Lost Jedi Adventure Game Book. Think I bought it through a Usenet newsgroup board. Remember it took weeks to arrive and when it did the package had ripped on three out of four corners, leaving the book precariously contained. One misstep by a postal worker and the book would have wound up on a PO floor and I would have got an empty package wrapper.

Lest you think this isn't important, that book is full of neighboring star systems to Yavin, and was highly useful for the Essential Atlas. :)

15. Jaina's Boyfriend

Jaina's Boyfriend Jedi Youngling

Mar 15, 2020
    The Hutt Cartel, Zann Consortium and Genoharadan would disagree.

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    @jasonfry - I have the original two books of that - Jedi Dawn and The Bounty Hunter. Tried playing the latter a few times - always got killed by Boba Fett.

TOD - I wouldn't try to sell at this time given the coronavirus. If someone wanted some of the books they'd probably be leery of ordering from someone they aren't familiar with. I know the virus doesn't live long on cardboard/paper but it might still be a showstopper.

17. TOD-UK

Mar 4, 2002
    I can remember the Lost Jedi books being readily available. Had them for years

jasonfry likes this.
  18. TOD-UK

Mar 4, 2002
    I’ve already been surprised how certain books are highly sought after that just wouldn’t have occurred to me. The 3 Dawn Of The Jedi TPBs for example

19. TOD-UK

Mar 4, 2002
    And that Toprawa mission will always be MY ‘stealing the Death Star plans’

20. TOD-UK

Mar 4, 2002
    I can totally appreciate being a completionist

Tython Awakening and jasonfry like this.
  21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    These three were in print for only a brief amount of time before Dark Horse lost the publishing license, so they never got into circulation like some older trades, the third one especially. Doesn't matter that most actual SW fans weren't fans of the third one- it's rare, therefore it's "worth" more. Same with Crimson Empire 3. Did anyone here like it? Not really, but it's rare, so 4 times its original price nowadays.

I mean yeah, it's really up to you if you want to sell. There's plenty of SW fans out there who would definitely appreciate any of these books if you're not going to appreciate them anymore, so nothing wrong with selling; just as there's plenty of ways for you to enjoy them if you really want, so also nothing wrong with keeping them. Think over what's best for you, and then go for it. I've done both, amassed a huge SW collection (books and comics) and sold a huge SW collection (LEGOs), so I know there's no wrong way to go about it.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  22. Gallandro007

Gallandro007 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 7, 2014
    Dont sell!
    I'm sure you will regret it if you do.

Legends is just a different timeline.
    When Ezra entered the WBW to save Ashoka that is in the Legends 'timeline' or what I call Timeline 1 that timeline has the rebels get the Death Star plans in a different way Han and Leia marry and have twins, Thrawn comes back, Luke marries Mara and Leia founds a Resistance movement but it's to fight the Yuzzahn Vong not the First Order.

By saving Ashoka Timeline 2 is created and that is the timeline we are currently following.
    So it's all canon from a certain point of view!

23. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Sure what do you have and what prices my guy?

Im trying to get the Dark Empire trilogy collection

Thrawn trilogy saga collection comics and Crimson Empire saga

How much are your selling prices exactly?

Ya how much you selling those?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Imprint was printed...?

Also, please don't multi-post. You can edit your posts.

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  25. TOD-UK

Mar 4, 2002
    Y
    Yea, it was part of the Hyperspace fan club subscription pack of that year

Sinrebirth likes this.