main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Sports and Coronavirus (aka the Rudy Gobert Appreciation Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Mar 12, 2020.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Oh god.

2. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    What the actual ****?

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Here in the UK the Grand National is one of the big racing events of the year. (Think Kentucky Derby but with jumps). This year's has been cancelled, but next Saturday at 5PM ITV1 will present a Virtual Grand National. More details from the Racing Post.

4. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
  5. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Ah now it makes sense!

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Olympics will officially be from the end of July to the first week of August next year. Can't wait.

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Byran Curtis of the Ringer on the snowball impact of Coronovirus on sports reporting, sports websites, and more.

Really good read. I know I take for granted that things like Fan Graphs will just be there tomorrow when I click on them, and that when baseball returns, I can compare Lindor and Bieber to historical seasons. but ... that might not be our reality.

cubman987 and Juliet316 like this.
  8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Well, then.

heels1785 likes this.
  10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, I pointed this out -- it's almost certainly less than what they would have made if Wimbledon happened, but now they've revenued $107 million dollars (for free) because of good planning.

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Who knew Wimbledon were the most prepared for a pandemic of any world organization.

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    The British Open has similar insurance. Must be something in the water across the pond. Which is why when the other three Golf Majors got postponed, the British Open got cancelled - postponing would mean no insurance money.

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    This is my favorite new sport.

14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    for once, nascar started a sports trend with the iracing series during these weird times. f1 and indy soon picked up on it, then nba through 2k tournament, and now mlb is on board.

this starts tonight on twitch and youtube. 3-inning games, 29 games for each player/team, running over three weeks before playoffs. mlb network guys will be handling.

[​IMG]

amir garrett is a beast and may run away with this, saw him play in a mini-tournament a few weeks ago and he wrecked everyone. snell is really good, gallo too. don't know much about the others.

Juliet316 and solojones like this.
  15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Wanna see Mahomes vs. Brady on Madden. Something tells me the young guy would have it :p

Rew, Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  17. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    I've already come to terms with the fact that the Buckeyes have an all-time Heisman-level QB and the Bengals are about to draft the best QB college season ever and none of it will likely matter this year.

Hoping that testing grows exponentially, b/c if you can have an immediate way to determine if someone has it (or, a step further, is immune) then conceivably you could allow some gathering with constant screening.

The WWE is still operating (b/c Vince is a maniac) and so far hasn't had any complications with talent/broadcasters/production staff. With better testing, that kind of a skeleton crew would seem to work with something like the NBA, especially if they just locked down the entire area.

Rew and DarthIntegral like this.
  18. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Another year to wait to see the Lakers back in the playoffs, and Mookie would have been one hell of a niiiiice Dodger... and the All Star Game, well, would have been some fun.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    Juliet316 likes this.
  19. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    My brother responded to this by saying "crossing my fingers for football," and then wrote it again after I mentioned that if you read the article, you'll see why that that's not going to happen. It's like some people can't process or accept that team sports aren't coming back anytime soon.

Runjedirun likes this.
  20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

yes please

save us lord fauci, in more ways than one

Rew, Juliet316 and solojones like this.
  22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Absolutely we should have football, just without fans. I'm willing to give up going to Arrowhead for the year as long as I still get to see the Chiefs play :(

Luke02 and Juliet316 like this.
  23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Football seems like the least likely to return, IMO.

You have larger rosters, which means more people under quarantine. Which means more support staff needed. Which means greater risk of quarantine being impeded.

Plus, you have the higher risk of injury in American football, which means tying up hospital resources, EMTs, etc.

Baseball, with the minimal person-to-person contact and basketball, with the small roster sizes seem much more likely to me.

Luke02 and Juliet316 like this.
  24. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    It's been rescheduled to start on August 29th and last until September 20th, which will also be the first day of the Mondials. The Vuelta will be postponed.

Note that Le Tour is the make-or-break event for many cycling teams - it's the only yearly sporting event that gets watched at some point by an audience of a billion people across the planet. If it can happen but only by cancelling both the Vuelta and the Giro, it's what will happen.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Ah, didn't have a reschedule date set when I saw the news yesterday.