main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The eventual release of the Prequel Trilogy on 4k Blu Ray...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Strilo , Jan 15, 2018.

1. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    No matter what it is the best the movies have ever looked. I cant wait to get all of my preorders here in germany. The release in germany is set for April 30th.

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    This certainly changes my plans. Instead of buying some massive 9 film set, I might just get the 4k releases piecemeal and skip TPM and AOTC for now, hoping that some future release will improve these two.

3. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    They're improved quite a bit. The picture quality is without doubt better. Not the huge jump we see in the OT but you'll see the difference. The audio is a giant step forward.* The mix on the BluRays is some of the best I've ever heard. The way ships and voices move around 7.1 sound is some of the best mixing I've ever heard. High recommend these for that alone.

*Return of the Jedi looks reshot compared to the DVD and 2011 BluRay.

Huttese 101 and Billy_Dee_Binks like this.
  4. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    So are these versions indeed the ones included on Disney+? I must admit that when I rewatched the films in the lead up to TROS, I was rather disappointed in how TPM looked.

5. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I hate to say this, but I wouldn't count on Disney doing a new 4K transfer on any existing PT / OT film, let alone on physical medium. A simple re-release with one new extra, maybe. It's Disney, they only want to push their streaming platform and they're no friends of people owning home releases, they *never* were. Since the winter of 2019 theaters aren't even allowed to show Disney and Fox catalogue films on the big screen anymore.

They'd have to go back to the individual elements for TPM and build it back together from the ground up in order to get the highest-quality scan out of the shot-on-celluloid material. This is something GL might have greenlit eventually- he was even willing to go back and do a second pass at TPM 3D after he saw how much further you could push the stereoscopic effect on AOTC 3D and ROTS 3D (the former I saw, and it was breathtaking, the latter I unfortunately I was four people in line short of making into the screening). If Paramount owned Star Wars, it would be more likeley they'd put in the effort of rebuilding TPM by splitting up the 35mm material and the CGI work (see their incredibly work on TNG, TOS).

As it stands, TPM looks the best it's ever looked on a *home release*, period. Maybe when some fans are done doing a 35mm restoration we'll have something that looks truer to the cinematic release from 1999, which will restore some of the surface detail and grain that was DNR'd out of some shots.
    Same for AOTC, with the exception of that blanket teal tint, which can be managed. Only the HDTV source looked more accurate to the film's release.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  6. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I watched ROTS last night and I am blown away by the visuals. I'm watching tonight AOTC just to see what visual color improvements have been made. That movie is of interest because of the fact that its completely digital so it's going to look even more amazing

7. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Does the AOTC 4k still have the odd teal tint?
    (Sorry if this has already been answered)

8. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    With everything Disney has done to restore and preserve so many of their classic films, I hold out hope for such work to be done with Star Wars.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  9. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I actually didn't mind the teal hue on the Blu-ray version. IMO it added a kind of more earthy grittiness to the overall visual tone of the film, which before felt a little to polished and video-gamey in its color palette before. Not sure what the 4K version does, but if the restoration to a deeper and more natural color grading that was done with the OT, then perhaps it could look its best yet in 4K!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  10. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    I agree for the most part with the exception of the Kamino scenes. The “furniture made of light” feels off in the Blu-ray, as well as a few other scenes. But you’re right, it does look better for the most part.

11. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Funny you mention that, cos to me Kamino was one of the parts of the blu ray version that looked better! The background isn't just a blinding white, but has other faded colors, and the color tone when they're walking thru the clone training facility looks particularly good IMO.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  12. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    OK, I got the 4ks a few days ago and I've been watching them. That is, so far I've watched ROTJ and AOTC.

As for AOTC, that hue we talked about one and a half months ago here (see the previous couple of posts) isn't as present on the 4k as it was on the old Blu-ray Disk. Overall, as you'd predict, AOTC looks better than the original BD but not by a whole lot--it doesn't look sharper, but the colors are better balanced. IMO.

It sounds fantastic though, especially if you have a surround sound setup. AOTC has always sounded fantastic, now it sounds even better.

ROTJ though. Holy hell. I didn't particularly like the way it looked on the old BD--maybe it's just my TV--but that's all moot now. The new 4k looks spectacular.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I am waiting for the Disney Movie Club to have their sale with 60% off AND free shipping, then I think I will pounce on the SW films I don't already have in 4k.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  14. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012

Just to get back to this post, I forgot to mention something. On the new 4k, the elevator scene at the beginning looks awful, especially Anakin’s face which looks all waxy—presumably from DNR. I don’t know why TPTB deemed excessive DNR to be necessary. It’s just in this scene though, IIRC.

15. Liam_x7

Liam_x7 Jedi Padawan

Jun 13, 2020
    Still no word on a UK release date? I only have the 2011 OT and PT Blu Rays, I refuse to buy the Skywalker saga as the last 3 films were utter garbage

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I never even bought the Blu Rays :(

Huttese 101 likes this.
  17. Liam_x7

Liam_x7 Jedi Padawan

Jun 13, 2020
    The Blu Rays look decent especially Revenge of the Sith, I have a 4K Blu ray player and TV so upscaling will help but I really am waiting for the Original Trilogy and the Prequels to get a 4K release here in the UK, I would buy them individually if possible, I know the US have new 4K releases but seeing as they are region A would be no good for a UK Blu Ray player. But the Blu Rays are decent for what they are, It all depends on your set up.

18. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Saw this interesting bit of info in the Sequel Trilogy thread about Revenge of the Sith being changed on DVD from the theatrical release.

Does anyone have info on these changes?

RogueDianoga likes this.
  19. PodracingSkywalker

PodracingSkywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 1, 2014
    The only one I can recall with 100% certainty is the music. It's never been changed, nor did the theatrical cut use a different version. I specifically remember being upset they cut the music off of the soundtrack even as far back as 2005.

20. RogueDianoga

RogueDianoga Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 11, 2022
    It all matters. 4k vs 2k difference is trivial to spot.
    I remember people claiming home screens were too small for people to notice the difference between VHS and DVD and then DVD and HD etc. too.

21. RogueDianoga

Sep 11, 2022
    The digital camera did act a little wonky at times and it was more like 1450 across detail, etc. but also the home releases have tended to be a bit muted and sometimes weird colors compared to the theatrical (below):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
  22. RogueDianoga

Sep 11, 2022
    The trailer colors were even more intense:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Thank you for sharing those beautiful 35mm scans, RogueDianoga! Especially that deleted scene shot from the Forbidden Love trailer is a pleasant surprise. We're so used to that shot in SD.

KyleKartan and RogueDianoga like this.
  24. RogueDianoga

Sep 11, 2022
    Thanks! Yeah it is cool to see this stuff! The full AOTC teaser trailer (Attack Of The Clones "Black Eyes" Trailer 'A') is up on another SW forum now in both 4k (UHD technically) and HD. It's still not quite a final finished product, but not so far off now. Same goes for the main TPM trailer (TPM Trailer 'B'). The main AOTC trailer and the TPM teaser are up there as well as a few stills in 4k (UHD) of the original 35mm theatrical version of the hands scene at the wedding (don't think this has ever been seen by more than a few a handfuls in anything even close to HD since the original theatrical release left theaters) too but not publicly yet.

Billy_Dee_Binks likes this.
  25. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    In hindsight, I guess I'm glad I saw the 40th anniversary re-release of Alien in theaters when I did.