main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Zendaya (Chani) in Dune

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , Apr 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    MJ... I mean Zendaya is playing the Freman Chani who is a love interest to Paul Atreides!

2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  3. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    She's genuinely the perfect Chani. Dune is one of my favorite books ever, and I'm really excited with the whole cast!

4. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    No offense to Sean Young intended, but Zendaya looks more like how I pictured Chani looking when I read the book.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes. To both of you.

6. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Im picturing her say, "Tell me of you home world Usul…."

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  7. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Cool casting.

8. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Just saw both Spidermans recently. This cannot be more perfect.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  9. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Only the coolest people only have one name. Like Popeye.

10. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    Sean Young was awful, too polished too manicured for a desert dweller. Also too old. Paul and Chani in Lynch flick and Sy Fy mini were too old. Zendaya had the right freshfaced look and youth.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  11. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    The Lynch movie falls apart when it gets to the desert. He doesn't know how to make it weird.

12. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    That speaks to Lynch’s limitations as a director. He can only really do claustrophobic, psychologically nerve-wracked madness. Take him out to the pristine beauty of a desert, and he has no idea what to do.

GregMcP likes this.
  13. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    tbh, the book also kind of peters out in the "3 years later" section. The finale is rushed and there's no real payoff cause character introduced in that section (Alia) is the one who takes out the Baron. So all the build-up for Paul to confront his grandfather over killing his father was for nothing. cause 3 years old superkid ex machine, from less than last 1/3 of the book, gets the job done. People don't like when the build up taken away from character that was built up and then given to some rando.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  14. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    err... I have no idea what you are talking about, totally untrue, oh wait....

[​IMG]

This movie caused many men to avoid fatherhood altogether, it caused many vasectomies....

I don't think sci-fi special effects and action sequences in the desert or elsewhere were what anyone claimed were his thing, which makes it kind of odd that he did this movie, and even odder that Lucas recruited him to direct ROTJ. All things considered though, it is still a cult classic in its own way like some of Lynch's other (very different) films. It won't really make sense to look at any Lynch movie through the lens of your typical action/sci-fi flick, as he never intended it to be like them.

Bor Mullet and GregMcP like this.
  15. Revanator

Revanator Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 2019
    Isn't Chani supposed to have kind of an elvish look about her? At least, that's what I remember from the book.

BlackRanger and GregMcP like this.
  16. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    If anything Lynch's film added weird and gross stuff that wasn't in the book. Because it's David Lynch. his films are always werd.

17. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    I think Zendaya would do well in a live remake of Dark Crystal (Dear directors and producers, do NOT film a live remake of Dark Crystal)
    She is rather elvish.

18. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Whoever plays Chani needs to be a plausible offspring of whoever plays Liet Kynes. Maybe somewhere there's a cropped side-by-side comparison of these Zendaya and Sharon Duncan-Brewster publicity shots. This casting match is more plausible than Adam Driver with Harrison Ford or Carrie Fisher.

Revanator likes this.
  19. Tari Narvina

Tari Narvina Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2018
    i actually agree as well

20. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Most of them are off beat, that is his way. But to be fair, Dune wasn't a movie he had creative control over, and even wanted his name removed from the credits when it came out. That really was a terrible turn that he didn't know would happen going into it. Just a few years ealier he had turned down Lucas for directing ROTJ for that exact reason- he knew Lucas would micromanage it.

He is also one of the best directors in the world. He has 4 Oscar nominations, and it is BS that he lost Best Director for Elephant Man in '81, a very powerful movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.