main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Should the other books be adapted?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by PymParticles , Apr 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    As those of you (unlike me) who have read the books would know, there are several more books in the Dune series, five of which were written by Frank Herbert himself, and approximately eighty bazillion of which were written by his dutiful son, Christopher Tolkien, in collaboration with Kevin J. Anderson.

The subsequent Frank Herbert books are controversial enough additions to the Dune canon, and the prequels/sequels/spin-offs written after his death even more so. My question is: should any books be adapted after the original novel receives its two-film adaptation, and if so, where should they stop?

Based off several Hot Takes I read online, along with Wikipedia, the Internet's equivalent of an open-source God, there are a few options here:

Option 1: Stop after Dune, because everything else is varying levels of suck
    Option 2: Stop after Dune Messiah and Children of Dune, completing what was originally billed as the Dune trilogy
    Option 3: Stop after God Emperor of Dune, a work that is almost certainly unfilmable and would likely require the return of David Lynch to be even remotely faithful to the original novel
    Option 4: Stop after Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse: Dune, thereby adapting all six original novels but ending on an unresolved cliffhanger
    Option 5: Stop after Hunter of Dune and Sandworms of Dune, the inferior sequels
    Option 6: Never stop. Adapt all of the above, and continue with the prequels which are still being written and published to this day.

Bor Mullet and TCF-1138 like this.
  2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Option 2. Stop after Messiah. Dune had a similar trajectory as Baum's Oz books. A steady decline as they progress and then 700 unworthy sequels written by heirs.

End a film series at Messiah and you have a great bookend that does not decline.

Hernalt likes this.
  3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    [face_rofl]
    This seriously made me laugh out loud. I woke my SO. Thanks for that. :p

As for the topic - the first three books would make excellent cinema. Dune Messiah is probably more filmable than Dune itself. Children of Dune is tougher - the mini series solved the biggest problem by casting 25-year olds as 9-year olds.
    God Emperor is unfilmable, surely, but I'd pay good money to see someone try.
    I don't remember much from Heretics and Chapterhouse; I didn't really care for those books, and I think they'd make so-so films at best.

The KJA novels would all make good Flash Gordon-esque movies.

Actually, when thinking about it...
    ...that's the correct answer.

4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I haven't actually read any of the other books, so I can't say for sure, but my instinct is that it would depend on the filmmaker chosen to adapt them. Villeneuve is about as good as we could hope for, and if they keep finding the right people, even bad Dune books could potentially be reworked into good Dune films.

I think.

And since they're already making "Dune: The Sisterhood" for HBO: Max, they've already started expanding on the films.

The moment they stop caring about quality is the moment they should stop. I don't want to see an announcement about Michael Bay's Children Of Dune film.

Hernalt and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
  5. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I think Denis should make these two movies and then go do something else.

Because his "something else" is always wonderful. He shouldn't be locked into a franchise.

I've pulled out my old Dune paperback and started reading it again for the first time in 20 years. Let's see if I can get to the second book

6. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    That entire series, as I was saying, already has following to this day. Just not a mainstream one. I think they are hoping to make this into a franchise that moviegoers are interested in following.

The first three books were good enough that if this first Dune production can cut it, they should follow up with the others.

After that? You have some good but not great stuff in Herbert's remaining Dune material; he has other non-Dune books/stories that are better.

A little analogy- Herbert's son replaces his writing about as well as Julian Lennon replaced John. If Herbert's son insists they make his stories, they will have to go straight to Roku free-streaming[face_tired]

They need to new material. The studio might buy the rights to rework or replace the next episode after Messiah/Children.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  7. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    DUNE (I) would net some N millions of people / young people who have never heard of it. Then Dune Messiah and Children of Dune would deliver a stout, rounded out theatrical dessert. The Mazerunner trilogy comes to mind as having an analogous shape, or, uh, let's call it the supernova light curve... of the Dune Trilogy. Excellent entertainment, serviceable entertainment, and then this also happened. Clip or truncate there for theatrical. The next three original, authorized books can go to graphic novels and animation for apparently incorrigible addicts to the vision. Altered Carbon: Resleeved comes to mind as a model. It is there to service those who need to be weaned. Cost effective.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  8. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Dune Messiah definitely at least. It's basically an epilogue to the first book anyway.

9. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    I didn't like Dune mini but Children (Messiah + Children) was wonderful. Unlike Dune that suffered from stilted dialog and characters that didn't feel like actual characters, Children mini had none of these problems. Suddenly Paul and Chani started to act like a real couple. Everyone started to feel like a real character. relationships felt real. I don't know if "sacred cow" status of the first book made them less open to liberties but they took large number of them with Children mini (including dumping the stilted dialog arguably the biggest problem with Dune mini and Lynch movie) and it paid off.

I would say that Momoa casting hints at studio desire to franchise this beyond Villeneve's 2-parter. Duncan ghola is the main character in many (awful) sequels but they don't have to adapt those books but just use Duncan ghola and Dune universe. if they want.

So I wouldn't mind adapting other books cause they can work around weak spots. I just think that they are more suitable for series because they play like a soap opera.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  10. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    I am in the wait and see approach, the casting of this film is fantastic but with that also comes scheduling conflicts, bigger roles and a tighter schedule. If Dune is a success than I hope the Sequel is throughly thought out and developed. One step at a time I see.

11. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    How about Option 7: Continue making sequels for as long as they're profitable but are in no shape or form based off the other books? :p

I never read the books and don't really plan to so I'm up for whatever sequel(s) we get as long as they're good.

12. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Dewit.

Dune-it.

13. Maud'dib

Maud'dib Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 12, 2019
    Option 4.Although,I do hope Villenuve directs the next 5 if they make it that far.A lazy director would just explain away what Leto II does as "Aw,Leto is crazy."

14. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Any evidence that this is being rushed? To smack a quarterly?

15. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I think if they are at least not putting some things down at the moment to plan ahead they are going to end up missing out on a great opportunity.

16. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    How is this being rushed? Pt 1 is finished. Pt 2 isn't going into production given the situation with covid-19 plus they wanted to wait and see how Pt 1 is received. They could've done LOTR/Deathly Hallows-like filming back to back but they didn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.