main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Who or what scared you from the CT?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Bor Gullet, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 8, 2018
    This is really for those of us who were kids when the OT came out I suppose, or those who subsequently saw them as kids.

Who actually frightened you or gave you nightmares?

For me it was never Vader, I always thought he was cool.

But I was unsettled by Bib Fortuna, Jabba and the Sarlaac pit.

Also the Dianoga, pretty terrifying actually, and - to be honest - Yoda when he says 'You WILL be'

2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    For it me, it wasnt the Dianoga per se, it was the drowning or getting crushed in a massive trash can that bothered me when I was younger

Would you mind If I changed the title to Who scared you in the CT?

Edit: Thread title updated

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  3. Bor Gullet

Feb 8, 2018
    Oh, sure, change away.

Yeah, the getting crushed too.........that whole scene was very stressful !

4. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Bib Fortuna is a really weird and unsettling character design. I love him now because of his unique look and odd manner, but yeah, he scared me as a kid.
    [​IMG]

The thing that scared me the most is the carbon freezing chamber. It still does. Again, the whole design of the room is very unsettling, and nightmarish with the orange lights. And the carbonite block as well.
    [​IMG]

I was also scared of the reactor shaft beyond the circular window in the control room below. I think that the reactor shaft reminded me of a time when I had to go somewhere late at night once with my parents in the car. I was in my pyjamas and we drove through a city with high rise tower blocks with lights on them. I would have been only six or seven years old.

[​IMG]

5. Bor Gullet

Feb 8, 2018
    Yeah. Bib.

More than any other design he looked like something out of a horror movie. You could imagine him in Midian in Nightbreed or something.

Also, his creepy-ass voice and way of caressing Artoo. (shudder)

6. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    For me, it was Vader who scared me the most. The heavy breathing, the deep voice, and the choking did that for me. He was a menacing presence on screen. I was always covering my eyes with my hands when he appeared or even fleeing the room for a bit. I eventually grew out of that, of course. [face_laugh]

But no other Star Wars villain has ever been able to provoke that same level of reaction from me. Vader set a high watermark.

Sarge and Bor Gullet like this.
  7. someoneinpassing

someoneinpassing Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2019
    For me it was always Luke's cave encounter on Dagobah.

The way he senses something: "I feel cold."
    Asks the question: "What's in there?"
    Yoda's cryptic answer: "Only what you take with you."
    How Yoda says: "Your weapons, you will not need them", and Luke pauses for a second, and takes them anyway.
    The way the scene builds, Vader's image appears, Luke retreats, cuts off Vader's head.
    And obviously how Vader's mask explodes, revealing Luke's face.

Setup. Execution. Result.
    Freaked me out.

8. Director Krennic

Director Krennic Jedi Youngling

Apr 12, 2020
    Jabba the Hutt and his entire court. It terrified me then and repels me now.

Bor Gullet likes this.
  9. ThePhilistineCritic

ThePhilistineCritic Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 1, 2020
    I was about 8 years old when I first saw the trilogy, and I must admit, nothing in it never scared me. It thrilled and excited me, but I just never found anything in these films particularly frightening (then again, it’s pretty hard for a film to frighten me).

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  10. Director Krennic

Apr 12, 2020
    Could you delete that (and this) post for me? The choice of words is very unfortunate to say the least - a good many collectors concentrate on Jabba and his retinue and are not, of course, repellent for doing so!

11. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    I don't think anybody is going to think that you are suggesting that in the slightest. Jabba and his court denizens are supposed to be repulsive and repellant, that's the point. (And why we all love them)

Don't worry, seriously.

12. Bor Gullet

Feb 8, 2018
    Wierd, I never said the above....

13. Director Krennic

Apr 12, 2020
    ? I meant my own post, not anything you've said - I have always found them, physically and morally, viscerally unpleasant but, being nervous and new to a forum I feared I'd cause offence.

My apologies for the disruption to the thread. A mod will have to tidy me up now (blush). Does a self-delete function exist I have missed? It would have spared you all my rather embarrassing muddle. I feel uncannily like I am five and have started blubbing over a game in the playground... [face_blush]

14. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Vader's meditation chamber in TESB when we briefly see the back of his head.

15. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Don't worry about it, its fine! just like @Bob Effette said, though your thoughtfulness is appreciated!
    About Jabba´s Palace, that was a place I got immediately in love with; when I was very little, I used to imagine getting to visit the place and be in the court. I actually got sad in the Rancor scene because I liked the gamorreans so much...

What did scare me, was the Wampa suddenly appearing in front of the camera in TSEB. That, and Yoda´s "you will be"!

Sarge, Bor Gullet and Jarrus like this.
  16. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    That’s just me and my never-ending tendency to muck up replies to multi-quoted posts. Sorry Bor.

When trying to omit one post and leave just the quote of the person you want to reply to, I sometimes end up quoting the wrong poster name in the squared brackets, because they are all embedded together if you get my meaning. It’s a pain.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    Bor Gullet likes this.
  17. Bor Gullet

Feb 8, 2018
    Not to worry !

I also remember another character who creeped me out somewhat, the very first alien who pops up in the cantina. Not really because he's horrible but just the shock of it as I think up to that point we hadn't actually seen any aliens yet apart from the Jawas, who I thought might just be little munchkin humans anyway.
    Is he the first alien face we see in the whole saga actually? Arcona?

But, as somebody also mentioned the 'You will be' Yoda moment., it's really striking how scary he becomes there. They could easily have made him a villain from that moment and I would have bought it. Kudos to Frank Oz and the puppet people.

Sarge likes this.
  18. Director Krennic

Apr 12, 2020
    Thank you, all, for your kindness! My reaction could not be more different, I find the Hutt's court completely repellent - I see lust, greed, indulgence, sadism, ruthlessness without any redeeming purpose - but the warmth of the reply is a complete and touching surprise.

Another moment of terror was the thick bloody paste around the severed arm of the unfortunate alien in the cantina at Mos Eisley spaceport (the crony of the chap who says ''He doesn't like you...''.). Blood, and bloody wounds, are not neat or pleasant.

The human friend (''I have the death sentence on twelve systems!''), and for that matter the cantina all together, frightened me very much as well - I can remember being terrified by a drunk as quite a little boy, the same unpredictability and rapid escalation into being aggressive.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I think I must have been about 13 when I had a nightmare about Vader. I was lying on the floor hoping he didn't see me as he walked straight towards me and stood with his black armored feet just inches away from my head. I knew that if I moved he would notice me and utterly destroy me.

20. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I didn't realize how utterly terrifying the Rancor was until I saw ROTJ on the big screen as an adult. As a kid growing up in the 90s, Star Wars was all around me and was already a pop culture staple, so I never really got scared of anything. Even after seeing the special editions in theaters, and then the PT into my adolescence, it was still just all Star Wars to me. But then at Celebration Anaheim in 2015 I went to the after hours screening of ROTJ. This was at a time where I had also developed an immense appreciation for horror and old school monster making. And I remember sitting there during the Rancor scene, and about half way through it, it suddenly occurred to me just how terrifying it was. Its size, the noises it made, the movements, seeing Luke struggle against it. After all these years, there I was just in awe and completely terrified of this thing.

Jediking97, Sarge and Bor Gullet like this.
  21. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    When I was a kid I always closed my eyes during the Luke/Vader duel in ESB because I didn't want to see Luke get his arm cut off.

22. Bor Gullet

Feb 8, 2018
    ROTJ was one of the first movies I saw in the cinema when it came out, I was 7 years old and yes, the rancor was not something you take lightly at that age. Completely scared the pants off me. When he grabs Luke I thought (foolishly) that he was done for, I just couldn't see how he could get out of that big hand, and we had just seen him bite a pig guard (as I called them when I was young) in half so there was no way Luke could escape !
    so when (Spoiler alert! :)) he does manage to kill him with the portcullis I was very relieved.
    At the same time, I was urging Luke not to go over and check that he was dead because I felt it was only pretending to lure him in.

So yes, the Rancor - a total horror. I mean, can you imagine actually seeing a Rancor in real life? You would literally die from terror.

23. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    It's literally straight out of a horror movie, but because it's in the context of a sci fi space opera, it isn't quite seen like that. It honestly made me appreciate what went into the character building of the Star Wars universe, and how in any other context, a lot of those aliens could double up as terrifying creatures in a horror film.

Another aspect to the Rancor is seeing it on the big screen. I can't imagine what that must have been like as a 7 year old when the movie was first released. When I saw ROTJ again on the big screen at Celebration Orlando, I told the person I was with to pay specific attention to the Rancor scene. It's not very often you will get to watch that scene on the big screen, but I think that's a major aspect to fully appreciating just how terrifying it is. It just doesn't do it justice on any home screen.

SateleNovelist11 and Bor Gullet like this.
  24. RaiseTheFlag

RaiseTheFlag Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2020
    The dancing twilek being fed to the Rancor scared me as a kid because she couldn’t even defend herself. The description of being digested by the sarlaac pit was terrifying as well.

25. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I liked being scared as a kid. I loved how creepy the makeup looked on the Emperor

Bor Gullet likes this.