main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Ben Mendelsohn (Director Orson Krennic) in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by starocean90, Mar 25, 2015.

1. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @Director Krennic Do you read Star Wars novels? If so, I would recommend Catalyst by James Luceno, which is something of a prologue to Rogue One. Krennic takes a pretty central and starring role in that novel, which really has some incredible scope and character development. It's one of the highlights of the New Canon novels in my opinion. Also, welcome to the site. I hope you enjoy your time here:)

Grievousdude and Bor Mullet like this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed. The Rogue One ancillary books are some of the best in Star Wars. Catalyst, Guardians of the Whills, Rebel Rising. All surprisingly good.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm just really glad this film made Ben Mendelsohn more known to more people. He's in a lot more stuff these days. A lot of his early stuff is good too. He's fantastic in Animal Kingdom.

4. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    He’s a tour de force in “Bloodline.”

5. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    He's pretty good in Darkest Hour too.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  6. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    When Krennic says to Galen "let me share with you some details", it is one of the most menacing deliveries of a line I can think of. Just the guttural delivery and tone, the ingrained evil within, I consider that his best line from Rogue One.

So much so that it wouldn't surprise me if Ben Mendelsohn had been somebody who might have been considered to play the Joker in the Dark Knight Trilogy. Being that he was cast in a small role in Dark Knight Rises, it might add a bit more to his connection to that trilogy.

PCCViking and Bor Mullet like this.
  7. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    My first introduction to him was Dark Knight Rises. I liked him even then.

MotivateR5D4 and Bor Mullet like this.
  8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I like Krennic he is intresting character.

Darth__Lobot and DARTH_BELO like this.
  9. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I also just finished watching the HBO miniseries The Outsider. Great stuff-and he is the main character, good performance there too! First time I've seen him use an American accent.

10. May The Force Be With Stu

May The Force Be With Stu Jedi Padawan star 1

May 9, 2019
    I like this guy. Born to play a Bond villain isn't he?

11. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    I thought Krennic was going to be basically a Diet Tarkin since they couldn’t use the real deal and unlike Tarkin he could be defeated by our heroes. I could not have been more off on that assumption. Not only is he a very compelling character in his own right, but it is Tarkin himself who actually ends him. I love that he’s not a mustache twirling villain, he’s just a guy who really wants power and recognition, and he has no qualms about trampling over whomever’s necessary to get them. Ultimately he discovers the hard way this philosophy isn’t so cool when you’re the one on the receiving end.

12. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    I'd argue he's the best villain in the Disney era SW films.

Darth__Lobot and Bor Mullet like this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    By far. If you add TV, I’d say Moff Gideon will give him a run for his money.

Blame_It_On_Lucas likes this.
  14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I like Krennic, but Gideon is just on another level (at least from what we've seen of him so far)!

15. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I don't know, I find Krennic to be far more interesting so far. Gideon hasn't really done much, beyond giving the heroes an endless amount of time to escape a trap for no reason whatsoever.

As of this point in time, Krennic had more storytime, and he got more time to establish his character. I think his lines have also been quite a bit better as well. Gideon does have some potential for the future though, and his entrance was quite spectacular.

16. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    I like Gideon, but objectively speaking I haven't seen enough from him for me to say he's better than Krennic. However listen, I'm glad he's alive because I also can see him becoming the best villain in the Disney era. I mean hell, if anyone can be top tier villain who better than the man who portrayed Gustavo Fring?

Bor Mullet and EHT like this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm not sure if Krenic is a villain and more just a whiny petulant bureaucrat overreaching his power, who is still a villain but not like a properly badass villain of the time period which is just Tarkin, Vader or the Emperor. Great to watch being evil but he isn't exactly intimidating, more like a live wire.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  18. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    ^I think part of what I like about Krennic is that he's not that kind of intimidating badass villain. But he probably wants to be.

19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah. Krennic’s a social climber trying to climb up the ladder of villainy. And the establishment villains successfully push him off.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    Darth__Lobot, BigAl6ft6 and Starith like this.
  20. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Although, another way to look at it is that Krennic had a much bigger impact than Tarkin in the grand scheme things. Krennic was, in fact, the officer in charge of the creation of the original Death Star. Of which the Empire made not one, not two, but three of. Which served as their primary weapon and allowed them to inflict their reign of terror throughout the galaxy. And if you think about it, Tarkin only lived but a mere few days longer than Krennic, and had previously been just as petty by pulling rank over Krennic and stealing the Death Star project out from under him. All Tarkin really did was order its use, and then take credit for it. I haven't read the Tarkin novel, but based on the events we see in the movies, can we really say that Krennic was so much more petulant and petty than Tarkin? Tarkin might have been at the officer's round table meeting at the beginning of a ANH, but so were other officers. Including one who directly challenged Vader and his sorcerer's ways. That took way more balls than anything we saw Tarkin do. Tarkin might have been buddy-buddy with Vader by then, but how do you think he got there? His only advantage in terms of how we see him comes from having had a whole 40 years to cement his reputation among us as viewers before we were introduced to the likes of Krennic. But take that away and look at only the in universe timeline, and it kind of begs the question, is Tarkin really deserving of being looked at so much more favorably than Krennic? Maybe they're all kind of just like that.

BigAl6ft6 and Starith like this.
  21. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    He's kind of like an Albert Speer or maybe even a Werner Von Braun.... not sure if those are the best examples but hopefully it makes sense what I'm getting at

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  22. ThereseAn'ya1994

ThereseAn'ya1994 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 9, 2023
    I think this guy is spot on with most of what he said about Krennic. But I don't think he would have been imprisoned by the Empire if he failed with the Death Star. He would have been executed. Also, the video maker seemed to miss that Tarkin intended to kill Krennic as well as the data vault. He wanted to get rid of a rival of course. Great performance from Ben Mendelsohn. Krennic was menacing, but he has his blindspots and without a doubt a **** ton of arrogance.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.