main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Denis Villeneuve to Direct Dune - Release Date: December 18, 2020

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , Apr 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    In a Christopher Nolan year it is usually his film that tops my most anticipated list but then Dune said ‘hold my beer’

I like that this forum has Dune as a temporary surrogate for Star Wars. The adaptation would have fit nicely as a Lucasfilm movie.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Wake me up when they adapt God Emperor

TCF-1138 likes this.
  3. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    This. There were great aspects to the 80's movie; special effects weren't one of them. There is nowhere to go but up in that regard.

The moisture suits actually look quite similar. I wonder how much the director drew from the old movie.

Agreed. This forum is making a good showing of itself. So much cooler to have this discussion than to talk about something like Marvel; that is tired, overdone and lame discussion.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    dolphin and Bor Mullet like this.
  4. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    I have to say from all the promotional material thus far the casting in this film is very accurate; the cast itself is full of many very talented actresses and actors, this film will probably be a contender for a billion dollar blockbuster.

@Darth Chiznuk are you Mods planning on changing the title of the forum to Dune:Spoilers Allowed?? It make it easier to navigate. Right now it’s kinda hidden (which I don’t mind)

5. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    yeah, I support the idea that Dune gets its own Forum. It isn't a SW movie and presence of one SW actor who doesn't even have a big role in Dune doesn't make it a "future SW".

6. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Pretty much the moment we actually have anything concrete to talk about in respect to a future Star Wars film, we're pulling the plug on this bit (unless of course we don't). This is just a way to keep us all distracted and give us something to talk about, without rehashing the same tired old conversations with little (if nothing at all) to go off of.

7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Agreed. This forum is making a good showing of itself. So much cooler to have this discussion than to talk about something like Marvel; that is tired, overdone and lame discussion.
    But the old Dune had a SW AND a Trek actor!

Plus- what if the staff and ownership of this site split and a rebellion starts- one group wanting to keep it Dune, the other wanting to go back to SW? What if this site splits, with the Dune people going one way, and the SW people starting a mirror site with only SW? Well, it could happen.....

Bor Mullet likes this.
  8. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    @PymParticles got it. Thanks it’s definitely a breath of fresh air in here.

9. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    I agree that off topic discussion is a good thing and this movie is a perfect opportunity.

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So when is this April Fools prank over?

11. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014

Bor Mullet likes this.
  12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    That wasn't an April Fools joke? It just seems silly to make this Dune, especially since we could allow lots of speculation on future Star Wars movies since the possibilities are endless.

13. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    [​IMG]

14. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    ^ Hopefully SW will be back to being the one in the red soon enough. Although I am greedy, so I'll be fine with both.

Lee_ likes this.
  15. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yeah, 3sum!!! [face_laugh]

Krueger likes this.
  16. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I've pretty much exhausted my "Wouldn't it be nice if they made a movie about this?" waffles. And we know now that no, they aren't going to make a movie about your favourite cool character.

So, this is fun for the moment and when some new SW movie is announced I will be there with bad takes and pissweak theories.

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    [​IMG]

18. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Don’t mess with the Mayor of Portland.

19. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Good for Denis! Don't let the studio make you do a butcher job with a 2 hour Dune!

Denis Villeneuve recently discussed the upcoming project and noted that the world of “Dune” was too complex for a single film, which is why he’s splitting the book into a two-part film. He also noted that he wouldn’t have signed on for the film if Warner Bros. hadn’t agreed to making the film a two-parter.

https://www.indiewire.com/gallery/dune-2020-explained-plot-cast-tv-spinoff/dune/

Also interesting..

The original “Dune” is a 1965 science-fiction novel written by author Frank Herbert and is often cited as one of George Lucas’ original inspirations for “Star Wars.”

Bor Mullet and GregMcP like this.
  20. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    A "Mirror Darkly" type site where everything gets inverted, i.e. you can say things like *** and instead of getting banned for simply breathing the wrong way you get awards and promoted to moderator instead ha ha

21. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I have no idea what you mean. [face_liarliar]

Lee_ likes this.
  22. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Lucas has never, 1. using his own mouth, acknowledged the paternity or fraternity of DUNE, correct? Dune Sea - circumstantial. Spice mines of Kessel - circumstantial. Father was a navigator on a spice freighter - circumstantial. Giant worm - circumstantial.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes, it is a miraculous amount of "coincidence". More "coincidence" than most science labs are afforded when formulating conclusions.

24. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Kingdome Come and Whitesnake never acknowledged Led Zeppelin plagiarism either. It was just a coincidence that they sounded like an enthusiastic cover band doing Zep in every song.

25. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Lucas was probably conscious of the Dune influence, but even if he wasn't, that doesn't mean he wasn't unconsciously so. I believe many people from LFL over the years have assumed the influence was profound on him.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    Lee_ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.