main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Alphabet Squadron by Alexander Freed

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Oct 5, 2018.

1. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Or what about Star Wars: The New Jedi Order: Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial?

Outsourced, Wrinty and KerkKorpil like this.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ That's the kind of silliness that makes me glad I bailed on NJO early.

3. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    I would call it "Shadow Fall book 2 of the Alphabet Squadron trilogy". When speaking, unless the context of "Star Wars" is necessary I never say it (because usually we're already talking about Star Wars books). .

Xander Vos and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    This rule of thumb also, usually, goes for thread titles. I couldn't count the number of thread titles I've had to edit an unnecessary "Star Wars" out of here over the past 18+ years...

Sinrebirth and Jedi Ben like this.
  5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    If only the Wook ascribed to that philosophy, oy.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I can sorta understand the Wook's need to distinguish between a character/object and a product titled after a character/object.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  7. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    ..Novel titles?

8. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Heh.

Novel.

Like a BOOK.

HA!

Sarge likes this.
  9. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    It has been 3 days and I’m not even half through (which is VERY slow for me for a book this short with its font type). Please tell me it picks up SOMEWHERE. The squadron hasn’t even been named yet and we are getting a lot of back story with stilted narration.
    I really enjoyed Freed’s Battlefront books but if this book continues like it is I’m going to have to call it a “DNF.”

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Once the characters get together it does pick up. I agree - the part before that was slow.

Sarge likes this.
  11. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Thanks. I FINALLY got to part 2 this morning and did notice it got a bit faster. Though I do still feel quite disconnected from the characters, which I know has come up in a few posts here. To the point where I might say "good riddance" if one of the main characters ends up blowing up mid-battle.

I do, however, feel that Quell is a bit Tycho-esque, so I don't want her to die.

Sarge likes this.
  12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - it should move faster now that you're there. I liked the 'now we're a squadron' part of the book.

SWpants likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I enjoyed the slow chipping away of the previous squadrons early on- it helped build up the threat of Shadow Wing in a way that we haven't seen before, through sheer relentlessness. But, yeah, it probably did have a bit of a lull in there before the team finally comes together. The main "cameo" of the book kinda held up my interest through that stretch, however.

Sarge likes this.
  14. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    Was this good? It's down to $2.99 on Amazon and with the sequel coming out soon, I thought I'd ask.

Hopeless likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It might ultimately depend on how the trilogy pans out for some people but I found it satisfying.

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Six months = soon?

17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I think the ultimate consensus among the majority was that it was slow compared to most SW books. Some liked this, some did not. Most are waiting to see where it will go.

Maythe14thBeWithYou and Sarge like this.
  18. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I'm not excited about a trilogy fir this story at all. And I tend to be excited about all the things.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

19. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    I am partway through the book now (split in three parts, one for Hellion's Dare, one for forming squadron, and one for Pandem Nai attack) Timeframe seems to be about one month post Endor, although parts would fit well a few months later, ala Legends (and pre Brentaal)
    Also, can anyone confirm if there was some weird technical part about a shield generator that was shifted out of phase, or not?

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Elaborate?

21. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    It think it came up in the FleetJunkie forum last year, in relation to a frigate? Not sure though. Will continue read through and find out.

22. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Question here. I'm currently halfway through the audiobook of this and was wondering something. So far I'm not all that crazy about the story; IMO it's hard to follow the plot, if there is one, and the characters aren't all that relatable. I picked it up because I read that Hera has a role in it, and she's among my favorite characters of the franchise. My question is, considering this takes place in the ST era (or maybe several years before), where is her son in all this? If there's a spoiler towards the end where Jacen is mentioned or has some role to play, you can tag it and I'll find out about it soon enough.

23. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    The book takes place shortly after the Battle of Endor. Jacen would be very young and there's no point in having a child on a warship.

24. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Is the sequel still going to be around the same time period?

KerkKorpil likes this.
  25. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    Yeah, still pre Jakku. I'm assuming the third will be around then as well