main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Stellan Skarsgård (Baron Vladimir Harkonnen) in Dune

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , Apr 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The always magnificent Stellan Skarsgård has been cast as main villain Baron Vladimir Harkonnen. He is the head of House Harkonnen a rival to House Atreides.

2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    No picture yet, but hopefully soon.

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I can already picture him. No image required. Brilliant addition to the cast.

4. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    He's got the look of Lynch's Baron.

5. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Hopefully, the futuristic society will depict an ability to treat acne. Lynch's Baron just had a mess of a complexion.

This one is supposed to be even meaner than Lynch's, which is saying something given the way he pulled those grisly plugs out of people...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    His heart plug clearly caused him additional circulatory problems.

Bor Mullet and Lee_ like this.
  7. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Jedi Merkurian , Lee_ and GregMcP like this.
  8. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    He was so creepy in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I'm so excited to see what he could as the Baron.

9. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    This could be a planetary alignment.

Revanator and Bor Mullet like this.
  10. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    Baron was a madman only in Lynch version. In the book, he's as cunning as it gets.

Lee_ likes this.
  11. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    It's admittedly been a while since I've read the book, but that is my recollection also (I may have to re-read it before the movie also, or listen to the audio book on the way too and from work if I don't have time). At least Lynch made him a good lunatic- that's a kind of character Lynch doesn't seem to have a hard time doing well. 8-} I don't recall the acne treatments being in the book, but I could have forgotten; I've read lots of similar books.

Sometimes characters are notably changed from the book- another example being the main bad guy (who owns the island) in Jurassic Park; he was much more cold and calculated, far less the loving grandfatherly type in the book.

12. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Anthony Breznican has seen a picture of Stellan as the Baron and described his look as extremely unsettling.

13. Revanator

Revanator Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 2019
    Perfect casting choice. Stellan has experience playing a "monstrous" character. He played Bootstrap Bill Turner from the Pirates of the Caribbean films. Although, I'm sure this one will be much more frightening.

14. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    The effect of revulsion is maximized if there is no extenuating circumstance, such as madness, to tax one's pity. Madness is volatile and unpredictable, and the fear of the random unknown pulls from the budget that is normally set aside for Man versus Nature. Who wants that? That's what teen scream is for. It's cheap to tell narratively, because anyone can kick a can down the road by blaming action on madness. You the viewer are hijacked along for the ride with low-effort content. The result is irreproducible in a lab setting, unfalsifiable, and so you just have to take it at face value that the product has value. But it's inflated value. I'll take Skarsgård executing liquid cooled calculated malice. That takes writing. That's gold standard. Hans Gruber is a good example.

Bor Mullet likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.