main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Arena The Theist/Atheist Thunderdome™

Discussion in 'Community' started by Harpua, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Here they qualify as non-profit associations, which dispenses them from paying business tax and VAT, but they do pay employer tax and other social charges (with the same exemptions as everyone else), as well as the various property taxes where applicable. Priests are in general not paying revenue tax, but that's because their earnings are normally too low to qualify to pay revenue tax, despite celibacy putting them at a disadvantage compared to other households (revenue tax is paid by household here, and takes into account marriage and children). They do pay regular social taxes like CSG/CRDS.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  2. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    The fundamentalists who insist on holding and attending church services are fools.

3. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Fundamentalists usually are, and it's not exclusive to religious ones.

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I’ll just note here that the single most prolific New Testament author spent the majority of his career under literal house arrest.

That makes it hard to argue that this is an impossible circumstance.

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Also one of the major NT writers was a doctor :p

6. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I plugged this movie in the "just watched movies" thread, but it's worth plugging here. It's itself a plug for the goddess movement as an alternative to the Islam/Judaism/Christianity triumvirate. Take or leave the politics, but it's delightfully animated by someone I grew up with in downstate Illinois. It's the best movie you'll watch this year.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Just in case you wondered if religious leaders are tellers of truth

A right-wing commentator interviewed Jerry Falwell Jr. during his show Wednesday, where Falwell said that there were two arrest warrants open for reporters who came onto Liberty University’s campus.

Upon further examination of the warrant, the police officer who signed the warrant was Detective/Sgt. A.B. Wilkins 206 LUPD. The LUPD is not the Lynchburg Police Department nor is there a Sgt. or Detective A.B. Wilkins. It’s the police department under the authority of Liberty University.

Warrants are typically issued by a judge who directs an arresting officer to execute the warrant. No judge appears to have signed the warrant nor is there a judge mentioned, though the warrant does cite the Lynchburg, Virginia courthouse. The warrant also doesn’t appear to be certified by the clerk that it was submitted to the court. Clerks generally stamp documents when received.

8. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    A human lied. News at 11.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    So I guess we can dismiss Trump's behavior the same way?

10. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Read your introduction: "Just in case you wondered if religious leaders are tellers of truth." Nice generalization, on top of which you just added a false equivalence.

A human lied. Still news at 11.

Jedi Merkurian and solojones like this.
  11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Which we can do for everything Trump does. So we have to close down all threads that contain Trump I guess.

12. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    A religious leader is one of many religious leaders. There is only one head of state of the strongest military power and second world economy.

Jedi Merkurian and solojones like this.
  13. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
  14. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    It's a global phenomenon. The NYT reported about it a week ago. Domestic violence is also up 30% in France, just an example, but also everywhere.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    Outsourced likes this.
  15. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    And that absolutely shouldn't be discounted, because it's also really important.

But... 75% increase in one of the the most religiously homogeneous counties in the country? Wild.

Revyl Ren likes this.
  16. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I don't even understand what point you're trying to make.

If it's supposed to be some observation about Mormons as a particular religious community, self-identification is a pretty poor method for analysis. Most studies employ metrics like frequency of church attendance instead. After all, there's no reason to expect that a committed member that is participating in official church activities daily would feel the same way about the religion as someone who hasn't been involved in any way for 10 years but continues to list the religion they were exposed to as a child. It's even less clear without a point of comparison to other counties to see how extraordinary this is or isn't.

Mostly it just stands out as one more unfortunate consequence of the present circumstances irrespective of the religion practiced in the area.

17. JediVision

JediVision Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2015
    I appreciate the reluctance to draw any sweeping, sinister conclusions about this data point--especially given the relative lack of control group data--but it's worth noting that because of its fierce liturgical emphasis on orthopraxy, self-identification as a Latter Day Saint is likely to correlate fairly strongly with regular church attendance, or at least to a greater degree than in mainline Protestant denominations.

Outsourced likes this.
  18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
  19. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    There are zero versions of Christianity where God bows down to somebody.

[​IMG]

20. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    That is monstrous.

21. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    It was only a matter of time.

Ghost likes this.
  22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Pure idolatry.

Revyl Ren likes this.
  23. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    I think I remember a verse or two about the Orange Veal?

24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Wait a minute.

Where did they get that "quote?" Oh, don't tell me. Personal prayer time.

25. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    It's a visitation! Quick, call the Vatican! :p

SateleNovelist11 likes this.