main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters ♡ The OTP & Pairing Thread ♡ | Challenge #33 is up: How They Met! (1/28, p. 90, #2231)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Captain Rakkaus, Oct 5, 2015.

1. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Thank you for the kind congratulations, everyone, and a warm round of applause for all who submitted stories for the challenge=D=

I look forward to the next challenge along with everyone else!

2. Captain Rakkaus

Captain Rakkaus Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2015
    New challenge time! We're back to the list format for...
    OTP Challenge #15: "Things You Said": All-Dialogue Minifics
    I came across this wonderful list of prompts on Tumblr. The first 23 were originally posted by Tumblr user xfactorera (now deactivated), with 24–40 added by Tumblr user bagelswrites. (The latter's post here is my source for the list. Thank you, Bagel, for your gracious permission to borrow this! @};- )

Originally the list was introduced by the words "send me a ship and one of these and i'll write a mini fic." For here on the boards, though, I'm going to do a little twist on this befitting the "things you said" prompt itself: the minific must consist of dialogue only.

So here's what to do:
    1. Choose a prompt from the numbered list below. (This time more than one person can choose the same number, and number assignments will be listed in the index below rather than in the prompt list itself.)
    2. Write an all-dialogue minific featuring the ship of your choice. (For the purposes of this challenge, a minific is 500 words max, though see also "About Word Count" below.)

The List
    1. things you said at 1 am
    2. things you said through your teeth
    3. things you said too quietly
    4. things you said over the phone
    5. things you didn’t say at all
    6. things you said under the stars and in the grass
    7. things you said while we were driving
    8. things you said when you were crying
    9. things you said when i was crying
    10. things you said that made me feel like ****
    11. things you said when you were drunk
    12. things you said when you thought i was asleep
    13. things you said at the kitchen table
    14. things you said after you kissed me
    15. things you said with too many miles between us
    16. things you said with no space between us
    17. things you said that i wish you hadnt
    18. things you said when you were scared
    19. things you said when we were the happiest we ever were
    20. things you said that i wasn’t meant to hear
    21. things you said when we were on top of the world
    22. things you said after it was over
    23. things you said [make your own]
    24. things you said when we were alone
    25. things you said in front of other people
    26. things you said in writing
    27. things you said through a closed door
    28. things you said in the dark
    29. things you said in the rain
    30. things I wish you’d said
    31. things you said right before goodbye
    32. things you said right after hello
    33. things you said from across the room
    34. things you whispered in my ear
    35. things you said at the top of your lungs
    36. things you said but didn’t mean
    37. things you said through someone else
    38. things you said when I was (you were) sick
    39. things you forgot to say
    40. things you interrupted me to say

Could you please give an example of what an "all-dialogue minific" looks like?
    Good question, since this is a little different from our usual fare! Say someone chose #1 from this list ("things you said at 1 am") and Han/Leia. The result might start out looking like this (and I fully realize how completely doofy this is, I just blatted it down impromptu):
    How long will we have?
    The by-now-usual eight (8) weeks, with a deadline of Sunday, June 21, at 11:59 PM PST. A two-week voting period will follow. (And I promise I’ll keep better track of the time this time! [face_blush] )

Some Other Guidelines
    1. About word count. Again, for this challenge, a minific is 500 words or fewer,* and only stories adhering to that word count guideline will be votable in this challenge. If you end up going over and really and truly don't want to trim it down, I'll still gladly list your entry in the challenge index as ad-hoc, but it will be out of competition.
    2. For word counts, I'll be going by https://wordcounter.net/.
    3. Again, more than one person can choose the same prompt/number, but only one story entry per person, please. (If you choose to do more, you may do so on an ad-hoc basis, but those extra stories will not be part of the voting.)
    4. TOS, and all that.

So, choose a prompt and have at it! And as always, feel free to ask any questions. :)

*NB: If your word count ends up being a wee bit over 500, I'm willing to stretch a point on a case-by-case basis. But the emphasis is on "wee bit," so please try to keep your stories in the general neighborhood of 500 words. :-B

Index
    In Competition:

• The Happiest We Ever Were by devilinthedetails, featuring Padmé Amidala and Anakin Skywalker (19. things you said when we were the happiest we ever were)
    • If Only by Jâd Sphera, featuring Mara Jade and Luke Skywalker (11. things you said when you were drunk)
    • YOU DID WHAT?!! by Anedon and Adalia-Durron, featuring OCs Marie Firestone and Adrian Malek (36. things you said but didn’t mean)
    • Being in the Light by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, featuring Kyp Durron and OC Sevrina Bendal (16. things you said with no space between us)
    • Unspoken by divapilot, featuring OCs Breha Solo and Blue Akahai (14. things you said after you kissed me)
    • ...At the Kitchen Table (part 1 of Things You Said) by Raissa Baiard, featuring OCs Doran Blayne and Raissa Baiard Blayne (13. things you said at the kitchen table)
    • Pun Away by Kit', featuring OCs Namia and Taeyn (23. things you said [make your own]—"things you said when you were teasing")
    • Don't Tell Me Goodbye (NSW: The Expanse) by mavjade, featuring James Holden and Naomi Nagata (31. things you said right before goodbye and 32. things you said right after hello)
    • Know This by Name by Mira_Jade, featuring Carasynthia Dune and Din Djarin (7. things you said while we were driving)
    • Things You Said When We Were (Finally) Alone by TheRynJedi, featuring OCs Sennah and Danyal of Clan Itanno (24. things you said when we were alone)
    • How’d He Get In? Intruder Portal by Sith-I-5, featuring Rey and Kylo Ren (28. things you said in the dark)
    • You Shine So Bright (And I Light the Night) by Kahara, featuring Anakin Solo and Tahiri Veila (6. things you said under the stars and in the grass)
    • Man-Flu: Far Future (NSW: The West Wing) by Briannakin, featuring OCs Elvie Santos and Rose Santos (12. things you said when you thought I was asleep and 38. Things you said when I was sick)
    Out of Competition:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oooh, what a LOVELY idea for a challenge! Now, the really tricky part will be to rein in my wordy muse . . . and figure out just which one of those absolutely inspiring prompts to tackle. Officially, of course - I may have to write a few more for fun, because that list is just too beautiful to pass up! [face_love] [face_thinking]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  4. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Oh, what a marvelous challenge with a range of options and inspiration to offer.

I was immediately inspired to write an Anakin/ Padme minific with prompt #19---things you said when we were the happiest we ever were.

The Happiest We Ever Were

Sith-I-5, Jâd Sphera, Kahara and 3 others like this.
  5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
  6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    What a fun challenge!! An all dialogue fic is challenging to make sure you know who is talking, but it's a fun one!

And as a side note, thank you for asking permission to use the prompts, even though that person is not on these boards.

7. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    @Anedon and I are in on this one.............and we've already written it! :p

That's if we are allowed to enter as a team please? [face_batting]

Taking 36.

Edit: @Captain Rakkaus - can we please?

Kahara, Anedon and Findswoman like this.
  8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oooooh. Marie/Adrian [face_worried] [face_love]

9. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Yeah, and 36........... ;)

10. JadeSphera

JadeSphera Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 10, 2018
    Time to flex up our writing muscles ;)
    It will be quite the challenge! No description, only dialogue... and only 500 words long! [face_nail_biting]

Can I take number 11, please? :D
    Thanks!
    [face_love]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    @Jâd Sphera

[face_laugh] Oh the hilarity potential!!! You have to (1) remember what you said and then (2) either apologize or realize you actually mean it if it's mushy [face_mischief]

12. JadeSphera

JadeSphera Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 10, 2018
    Here I go!
    As an obsessed fan of Luke/Mara Fanfiction, I could not help myself!
    So it is no surprise that what I wrote has these two in it.

You may find my answer to this challenge here:
    "If Only"

Thank you for reading! [face_love]

13. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Sith-I-5, Kahara, Jâd Sphera and 2 others like this.
  14. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Hi everyone! Sorry to be late in getting things organized here; it's been a busy and hectic week for all the socks. The index is now updated with the three wonderful new entries. :)

To answer the question from @Anedon and @Adalia-Durron: yes, collaborative entries are always welcome!

Also, please note that you don't have to "reserve" prompts from this list the way you often do in other roulettes. Anyone can choose to use any prompt, regardless of whether someone has already expressed interest in using. All you need to do is state which one you're using at the time you post the story, and I'll give that information in the index, too (as I have done).

Thanks so much, and looking forward to seeing what all will come in! :D

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  16. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Aaaaaand index updated! We’re at four now, folks! :D

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  18. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
  19. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Hello! Here's my entry, with my OTP OCs.
    #14: Things you said after you kissed me.

Unspoken

Sith-I-5, Jâd Sphera, Kahara and 2 others like this.
  20. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Woot, another one! Got it in the index. We're at five so far! :D

Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  21. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    I've got one that doesn't really fit the rules of the challenge but was very inspired by it. Okay to include as a noncompetitive thingy? (Also, it's a drabble set and I can't remember if there are rules about that.)

22. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Sure, that should be fine for a noncompetitive/ad-hoc entry! :) And I don't see why a drabble set wouldn't be all right for that; what sort of rules were you thinking of?

23. Kahara

Mar 3, 2001
    Okay, great! And I'm not sure -- there have been challenges in the past that ruled out drabble fics but I can't remember which threads those were in anymore. Not this one, I guess. :p

24. Kahara

Mar 3, 2001
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
  25. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    So mine is threatening to become an anthology thread :p., but my first story and contest entry is for #13 "Things You Said at the Kitchen Table", featuring my original OTP, Raissa and Doran.

Things You Said

Sith-I-5, Kahara and Findswoman like this.