main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @Anedon - that is icky :rolleyes: They feel like they have you between a rock and a hard place so you just have to deal. :mad: Hopefully the other job will come through.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    earlybird-obi-wan and Anedon like this.
  3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    @Anedon, I hope things are better than expected.

I took today off due to needing to take care of my mental health and while I’m glad I told my boss I needed it, she told the department head I was taking a personal day and he gave me the spiel on taking more time than should be allowed. I haven’t had a call-in like this for 6.5 years.

Lady_Misty and Anedon like this.
  4. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Thanks guys, things where a bit better than expected tough 5 hours of just standing are pretty exsausting, just wish I could sit down at least once in a while.
    Also my superiors now want me to do this until the end of May at least, complained a bit about that, hope I didn´t make things worse through doing so.

5. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    That sucks Anedon.

So, my anxiety and inability to sleep is back with vengeance. I keep hearing weird noises at night (likely from construction going on at night now on the townhouses pretty much outside my window) and smelling weird scents (and I'm pretty sure I know what that is from too, it's the new laundry detergent I was sent with my last grocery order... it's weird and the top note reminds me kinda like the smell of hot glue... I recently washed my sheets its a bit alarming to get a whiff of a vaguely burning smell in bed but I washed them on wednesday so the smell is fading). I know all these things have logical expectations but that doesn't stop my brain from going WTH IS GOING ONNN!!! So it looks like I'm converting to a complete nocturnal schedule until this wave of anxiety ends. I guess there are worse things. I did this when I first started living alone and sleeping during the day does help. For the record, it's currently after 3:30.

But I picked up my sewing machine on Wednesday! It's so fancy and nice! I only got one pack of pre-cut fabric strips to kinda learn/experiment on until my mom can send some of my fabric to me.

Now, to kill about 2 hours playing video games until daylight. Then I can hopefully sleep.

6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm so sorry the job is changing up so much, @Anedon. That's a really crappy commute. :( Hopefully it won't stay that way for long! As for standing for long periods of time, two tips: 1) Don't skimp on the shoes, get good ones that work for you. Crocs are great for standing for long periods, and they make some not so ugly ones now. 2) Compression socks. I resisted wearing them for so long but once I started, it was amazing the difference it made. On the days I wouldn't wear them for whatever reason, I could really tell the difference in how much my legs and back hurt.

Grrr.... it makes me so mad when this happens. In my experience it seems like the people who call in all the time get away with it and the people who never do get crap for it. Sometimes people need a day off, there's nothing wrong with that.

That is.... weird. I know the exact smell you mean and I can't imagine having my sheets smell like that.
    But YAY! for new sewing machine! I can't wait to see what you make! Mine has been getting a workout recently, mostly masks so I could find a pattern that worked for us, but I think I'm going to make a pair of shorts next. I've had this fabric for years and I've been scared to use it because I love it so much, but at a certain point, I've got to just do it.

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  7. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Had anyone ever had to deal with cyber bullies over on fanfiction.net?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I have not, but I do know you can block users if you go to your profile, it's under account. That way they shouldn't be able to comment/contact you. They also have an email if you go down to the bottom of any page and click "help". It looks like it's mostly to report fic abuse, but they might know what to do/how to help.

9. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I reported this guy twice, but nobody ever got back to me. I’ve had to start a petition on change.org so they will do something.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Moderators on FF.n are infamously non-existent. I haven't used FF.n in years due to an incident, so I can't remember all the options, but I think Mav's advice of blocking them is probably the only way to get rid of them.

Yeah, it's weird. I got this detergent as a sub for my regular detergent. It's not horrible and thankfully it's not triggering migraines, but it is triggering panic. I'm hoping keeping my bed unmade today and keeping the window open will dissipate the smell. Maybe I'll get some of those washer scent beads with my next order to mask future laundry.
    Yeah, I do that too with fabric! Sometimes you just need to use it! I can't wait to see what my mom sends me! I know she's sending one of my works in progress so (I think) all the fabric is cut up and includes some map print material I had been saving forever. She's also sending me my quilt I did with 18/19th century recreation fabric I think I showed you (it was the "Hamilton" line :p). I actually finished this quilt before I moved but she insisted on hand-binding it (as opposed to my preferred method of machine binding which takes me 3 hours vs her 7 months. I can't wait to finally have it on my bed!

11. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    So this is weird and a little bit creepy. I put in the question "Do Jedi carry wallets" into google this evening as I was trying to think through what a pickpocket could have lifted from a Jedi. First result on Google is this thread which is a boards thread in which I asked the same question in October of 2002. I have no recollection of asking that question or why I would want to know, but it spawned a whole discussion about what a Jedi keeps in its pockets-es.

It's kind of thrown me for a loop.

Also, still really don't know what the answer is.

12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Forgotten plot bunny back from the dead perhaps?

So, update on my continual first-world hellish existence. I HAVE NO HOT WATER. The hot water system broke I guess a few days ago and I kinda noticed the water wasn't as hot and the property manager emailed friday morning telling us it was being looked at and there would probably only be lukewarm water during peak times. Well there's currently no hot water and hasn't been any for about 24 hours. I even checked last night at like 3am. NOPE.

I use warm baths for pain management so I've kinda hit my breaking point. Thankfully friends and family have been messaging me all day.

Lady_Misty, Kahara and Kit' like this.
  13. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Kit' - hahah.... that's kinda hilarious! Yeah, I'd also guess a forgotten plot bunny.

Bri- oh no! That's terrible! Hopefully they get it fixed soon, people can't go long without hot water! Plumbers are absolutely an essential service.

Kahara likes this.
  14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yaaaaay!! I just checked and I have hot water again!!! [face_party]

15. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Mavjade and Briannakin, I think you might be on the right track with lost plot bunny. It’s such a long time ago I don’t even know what I was writing. It could have been anything! Luckily the plot bunny took this time and it’s almost complete!

No hot water sucks. We have a gas system which occasionally runs out of gas. Worst ever was the middle of winter in a Friday and they couldn’t deliver until the following Tuesday but it’s Queensland, Australia so I would say it’s freezing cold. Had a very small baby at the time though so lots of filling and boiling the kettle to get him a lukewarm bath in the sink.

I used to live in a share house and the hot water would go out regularly. Resetting it meant climbing through the junk room complete with several prosthetic legs and collection of broken furniture and dolls. Then sitting in the dark with your finger on the button for 1/2 hour while it refilled and hoping that the spiders decided you were scary enough not to bite.

Glad your hot water is back on! Yay!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I lived in this missionary apartment that we all called the Batcave. It was a converted storage shed and you could just open the door wide enough to get in before you hit the sink and scooched last the refrigerator. The main room had one set of bunk beds, three feet of space, then a desk. Our spare space was a pit of pillows in the corner of the room.

But then there was the bathroom! You opened the door and walked up six steps past the sink and toilet and down two into the tub. You turned on the water, then had your companion hand-crank the hot water from the kitchen. After a few minutes, you were standing in hot water and showering under icy cold water.

Every time I’m annoyed by my apartment, I think of the Batcave and count my blessings.

Kit' , Lady_Misty and Kahara like this.
  17. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I was going to sew the shorts I mentioned earlier in the thread last night. I'd printed out and put together my first PDF pattern earlier in the day (I've always used patterns from the big companies before) cut out my patterns, prepped my fabric, cut out my fabric and then I realized the thread I bought for this fabric is on the large spools that doesn't fit on my machine. I have stand that you can use to fix that, but for the life of me I can't find it. It's not with any of my other sewing stuff. :(

How was everyone's weekend that might have been no different than any other day?!

Kahara likes this.
  18. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    My weekend wasn't anything to write home about, but today I went fishing with my dad. (I live with my parents, so no worries.) We even caught a few.

AzureAngel2 and Kahara like this.
  19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    That sucks! Have you tried using a mug and safety pin? You can see how here. It actually works really well, at least the one time I had to do it.

My mom said every day is feeling like Sunday and I have to agree.

I got an update on the hot water issue this morning from the property manager. Aaaand the saga isn't over. Apparently the first tank failed Wednesday and the second tank had the same issue on Friday - thus why there was zero hot water. They are still waiting for the parts to fix both tanks so they ended up just installing a third hot water heater on Saturday. So the building still only has half the hot water capacity we should have. So I'm going to start having my baths at weird times. I had a bath yesterday at like 10 am and there wasn't an issue so I'm thinking late morning or extremely late at night (like middle of the night) is going to be my best bets. Thankfully I have nowhere to be and no schedule to keep so it could be worse.

But I should be getting the package from my mom tomorrow so at least I have that to look forward to.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    AzureAngel2 and Kahara like this.
  20. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    AzureAngel2, Kahara and Kit' like this.
  21. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I started antidepressants on Friday and spent the weekend exhausted. My doctors having me change the schedule for when I take them and having me check in with him on the effects. On Sunday, I sat with a friend’s 15yo daughter, who has to compose music for viola, and helped her get 2/3 of the assignment figured out. It was hard to get her to respond at first, but she really got into it once she heard where it was going.

AzureAngel2, Kahara and Lady_Misty like this.
  22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm in a lot of pain right now and all I want is a hot bath... but of course that's the one thing I can't have (well, that, and a hug). It's 10:30 PM now I'm trying to decide if I wanna wait like 2-3 hours and have one so late that hopefully I get a nice amount of warm water without taking too much from someone else, or if I should try to run a lukewarm bath and supplement whatever I get with boiling water from my kettle. I've never done the kettle trick myself so I really don't know how many kettle fulls I would need, and is it just easier to save myself the hassle and wait. And I'm basically typing all this out as a way to procrastinate making a decision. (plus I'm assuming later in the night would mean more hot water?)

23. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Hot water through the kettle isn’t so bad if you are starting with Luke warm water. Also boil saucepans on the stove at the same time.

Do wheat packs help?

24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I mean, I could boil my big stock pot and dutch oven full of water, but getting them from the stove to the bathtub in a wheelchair might not be the safest option :p. At least with my kettle I can plug it in in the bathroom.

And I have thermapearl packs and a hot water bottle... but part of my problem is Aunt Flo decided to visit, or it's shark week, or whatever you wanna call it, so there was multiple reasons as to why I want a bath.

But I just realized I washed my hair yesterday so I really only need to run the water up to my mid back. Plus it's past 11:30 so I think I might go for it.

25. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Go for it. All the people who have showers before bed should be finished by now.

Also yes, please don’t move giant pots of water in a wheel chair. That could be bad and hot water burns are a pain (says the person who tipped a whole kettle of water on her leg as a baby the an entire pot of tea down her front as an adult. I should not be allowed near water over 40C).

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    AzureAngel2 and Lady_Misty like this.