main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Denis Villeneuve to Direct Dune - Release Date: December 18, 2020

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , Apr 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    The trailer got me so hyped. Peter Jackson did it again I thought. *sigh*

But yes, Dune. Excited for it. Denis never disappoints.

Two concerns:

1. Lackluster mainstream reception that jeopardizes the second half of the 2-parter. Not sure Dune travels well in terms of mass appeal.

2. We are still reeling from COVID-19 in December (reduced theater seating, PTSD, 3rd and 4th waves, etc.) and that affects decisions around funding for Part 2.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Probably we will still be reeling from the virus., but at least we have this movie to look forward to when theaters do come back.

I think what you mention in this post could be related- this movie might resonate with the mainstream public because of COVID. The Fremen were a survival people in a harsh environment., and there is much fear of the earth becoming such a place with the virus, eventual food chain/food shortages, possible societal breakdown, etc.

After all, these DIY and surgical masks we are wearing may be replaced by an entirely different mask in the post-coronavirus world....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    dolphin likes this.
  3. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    Good comparison with the Fremen. I’m hoping the box-office will have recovered and we won’t still need reduced seating in theaters due to social distancing.

4. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    At this point, there is absolutely no chance of these problems; the movie will play as scheduled.
    The virus can easily be stopped. If you just take a big swig of bleach, pull out your hypodermic, inject 60 cc of Lysol Intramuscularly in your deltoid, and you will be cured.
    [​IMG]

5. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    I wonder when and how we will see that first teaser. If the NBA comes back this summer we might see the trailer in the July timeframe.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Forget a trailer... if that piker could be bothered to finally direct Tintin: Prisoners of the Sun and there was an announcement on the internet, my reaction video will make all those people look stable.

7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Tintin in Tibet was the best...

Actually come to think of it, a lot of those are good. I read all of them from fourth to sixth grade.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  8. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    Has anyone seen any of the films that Greig Fraser has done the cinematography for other than Rogue One? I have seen Zero Dark Thirty but it was a long time ago and frankly it wasn't a very memorable movie for me. Rogue One certainly had some glorious sci-fi shots, although I would've loved to have had Roger Deakins back for another Villeneuve collab.

9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Fraser is, IMO, one of a triumvirate of best cinematographers alive - him, Deakins and Lubezki. He’s a very natural fit for Villeneuve’s sublime but naturalistic style, which is why he was chosen. Villeneuve also loved what Fraser did with Rogue One, which was clearly the best-photographed of the Star Wars films. Try rewatching Zero Dark Thirty, Rogue One, and the three episodes of the Mandalorian he photographed. He also did Mary Magdalene, Vice and Lion, which while not great movies, look phenomenal. Couldn’t be happier with him being DP for this.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Tintin in Tibet is the best. I keep the panel of the search party approaching from behind the half-covered plane crash in the snow in my studio above my drafting table.

My second favorite is probably The Calculus Affair.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  11. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Denis is one of the better big budget directors working today. No duds...I'm mixed at worst on two of them but those were interesting movies at least. I guess my biggest disappoint is that he's not directing new IP, first a new continuation of Blade Runner and now a Star Wars-ish type adaptation which was tried 36 years ago to not so great success. Even before the pandemic I wasn't expecting Dune to do better than Blade Runner 2049 did in earning money.

1) Prisoners :):)
    2) Sicario :):)
    3) Arrival :):)
    4) Blade Runner 2049 :)
    5) Incendies :)[face_sick]
    6) Enemy :)[face_sick]

:):) wonderful (ceiling); :) good; :)[face_sick] mixed; [face_sick] bad; [face_sick][face_sick] terrible (floor)

12. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yep, 7 Crystal Balls and Destination Moon are also favorites. It is my understanding that Tintin was actually very popular in Europe (decades ago), and didn't as much catch on in the US; I was lucky as a kid to be told about them by a friend; I actually liked them more than DC/Marvel by the time I was in later childhood. Spielberg was right about his comparison to Indiana Jones, there are a lot of similarities other than one is a journalist and one an archeologist.

My understanding is that Asterix was similar- not originally in English, big in Europe, but never caught on in a big way in the US. It was OK, liked Tintin better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.