main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Does a little part of you wish there were still only 3 movies?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by May The Force Be With Stu, May 2, 2020.

1. May The Force Be With Stu

May The Force Be With Stu Jedi Padawan star 1

May 9, 2019
    I'm not going to go on an anti prequel or anti Disney rant or anything. I was at the front of the queue for all that stuff. And my kid LOVES it!

But for me, nothing will ever come close to that original trilogy. When the episode numbers weren't officially part of the titles and further adventures were found in books, comics and our own imaginations when we played with the toys.

Maybe I'm just getting old I dunno - but I kind of miss NOT KNOWING a lot of the stuff the prequels told us. And I miss ROTJ being just a mega super happy ending to the whole movie saga.

2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    The Prequels are still my favorite era due to the Clone Wars. So while the classics are iconic, I honestly don't think I'd have gotten into Star Wars to the extent that I have if it had just been the first three. And maybe I wouldn't still be around to the extent I have been if it wasn't for the new movies?

3. May The Force Be With Stu

May 9, 2019
    Please bear in mind that I'm old!

4. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Oh yeah, I'm a youngun who got in right when the Clone Wars started airing.

5. May The Force Be With Stu

May 9, 2019
    And now I FEEL old!

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  6. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    Probably not. I think what people mean is that they want the same sense of wonder and excitement the classic trilogy bought to the table, which unfortunately I think can never be replicated; not that it's a bad thing..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7. May The Force Be With Stu

May 9, 2019
    Yeah. That's fair. Probably got to cop to that.

8. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Well those basically were there from 1980 for TESB which means that "Star Wars" was ANH even before that but in terms of your sentiment I'd say nothing comes close to Lucas' 6 movies that is the Star Wars Saga.

9. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    The OT came out well before my time so I've never known it as just 3 films, but honestly if it was I don't think I'd be as much of a fan as I am now.

I've never lost interest in Star Wars because it's a franchise that's always had new things coming out for me to look forward to. When I first got into it, there was the EU and TCW, and now it's the new movies and tv shows.

Whereas with Harry Potter for example, after the books and films ended there was nothing new for a while so I lost interest in it. It must have been strange being a fan in the time in between the OT and PT with no content on the horizon for some time.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  10. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    If we would've still gotten TV shows, novels, comics, and video games of the other eras then a part of me does agree a bit with you. But I know a lot of people enjoy the Prequel and Sequel Trilogy (I'm one of them) and I wouldn't want to just erase them.

11. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I’m happy the franchise expanded. I can just pick and choose what era I want to focus on.

12. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019

No. No, I don't wish that. I may not have liked the Sequel Trilogy movies, but I've enjoyed the other Star Wars films that were released in the theaters.

13. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    No, I really don't. I never really subscribed to the idea of "don't show something, it'll ruin the mystery." I'm glad I have more context for caring about Obi-Wan and Anakin. My interest in SW grew because of the PT explosion of films, comics, games, books, and TV in the early to mid 2000s. I've also never been a HUGE OT fan, so I don't think I would have been a SW fan if it ended in 1983.

14. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    I think the only reason I'd want the PT to have not happened is the hope that the ST after wouldn't have this "anti-PT" vibe.

15. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    You probably still would have had people who would have hated the PT for not being the CT, and the ST for changing things that the CT set up..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

16. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    It's similar for me. The OT is my favorite part of Star Wars and i miss the sense of wonder of the time before the special editions, the prequels and the ST, when all we had were the three movies in their original versions, the novels, comics and a lot of theories, which were often way better than what we got later.

Maybe it's simply nostalgia but i doubt it

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  17. May The Force Be With Stu

May 9, 2019
    If that's what it is i don't mind!
    Still, I liked the special editions at least. Gave me the opportunity to finally see these movies on the big screen

18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I miss the times when there was only one, lol.

19. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I hold the OT near and dear to my heart but I have to agree with what others have said. I would never be half the fan I am today without the prequels as well the EU and TCW. I grew up with them and ROTS I remember watching the most out of any Star Wars film and was my personal favorite for awhile.

Still enjoy the PT greatly to this day, especially with it's enriching world building and overall story line that's had a great ripple effect across all other Star Wars stories that would come after.

20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I'm a fan now thanks to both the PT and TCW, and i still a fan and enjoying it all thanks to the ST.

21. May The Force Be With Stu

May 9, 2019
    Maybe it's just me and my age and stuff.

22. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    My only wish is that Lucas made the ST so we could see the real Luke Skywalker and the actual ending of the Saga.

23. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    I was 6 when TPM was released, in 1999. I was taken took it on opening day being able to skip school. I saw the OT films after, edited and in original form but with my mom. I fell in love with Star Wars because strong female characters like Padme and Leia. Then the Clone Wars came along and Ahsoka.. then Rey. GL wanted to tell his story and he did that I thankful for all Star Wars seeing the OT gave me a deeper appreciation for the innovative and revolutionary filmmaking of Lucas.

If anything I want more. But the original 1977 film is still one of my favorite films in the saga without that film we wouldn’t be here today.

Bia Surik and StartCenterEnd like this.
  24. QuiGonHrafn

QuiGonHrafn Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 25, 2002
    No but I view the saga as Episodes I-VI and nothing more. If they had followed Lucas' ideas, I would consider the rest as part of the saga. You just don't ignore what Lucas wanted and change the story (especially since that story was disappointing). They should simply have made films that were not part of the saga. I am a big fan of both the original and prequel trilogy although obviously the originals are more fun. I can put Rogue One in there too as it is most like the Lucas films and it fits watching it between ROTS and the original Star Wars. Finally, I still hope we let get Lucas story in some form eventually. A summary in the form of a novel would be good enough for me.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  25. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    There are times I do kind of wish that was the case. I know it's mainly nostalgia driving that thought process, but sometimes it crosses my mind.

I apologize in advance. I'm not trying to invalidate anyone's thoughts or opinions on this topic, nor am I attempting to claim the OT did not have an impact upon you, but I think this isn't really a question anyone who didn't grow up on the OT movies can answer. And by growing up on the OT, I'm meaning those who got to see them in the theaters as they were released. It's one thing to have seen them on video before you saw anything else, but it was a wholly different atmosphere and feeling for being able to see them upon release in the theaters. The former just doesn't compare to the latter. After ROTJ, for 16 years, we had nothing else, sans a few books and comics, and for all we knew, we weren't getting anything else. Hell, we had to wait THREE years to find out if Vader was lying or if he was really Luke's father. We had no continuous stream of content like we've had since the prequels. What we had was a quaint little three part story with a happy, satisfying ending. We had a story that left everything else up to our imaginations. So yes, there are times I think what it would be like to go back to that quaint little trilogy, and yes there are times I kind of wish that's all there was, but I'm also happy we have the prequels, the sequels, TCW, the Mandalorian.

The OT will hold a special place for every Star Wars fan in either being their favorite trilogy, or holding it in regard because without it, we wouldn't have everything we have now even if not your favorite, but I just feel it's held in a wholly different and potentially higher regard for those of us fortunate enough to have been able to witness them as they hit the theaters. So again, I apologize if this comes off as dismissive. that is not my intent.