main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucas felt betrayed by Disney

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by KING_KENOBI, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    What? Have we gone from "The Jedi were caught off guard" to "The Jedi were kinda responsible" to "The Jedi were corrupt"?

The prequels never say or show that the Jedi had an active role in the events that happen in ROTS. If anything, all 3 movies clearly show that it is Sidious who has orchestrated everything, as you very well said, with the Senate and the politicans being clueless sheep. The Jedi couldn't figure it out, but their hearts and minds were in the right place. You can't blame the innocent who were slaughtered and purged as being the perpetrators not even by a bit, when they were the victims, and nothing but the victims, of the scheme. The fact that the Jedi Code was not perfect doesn't mean that it was the reason of their undoing. The reason was the Sith, who did the undoing. And Anakin's fall to the dark side was not because the Jedi failed him, as Obi-Wan famously cries out. His fall to the dark side is because he completely ignored the Jedi teachings, got married in secret, lied to all the Jedi, was unable to control his feelings, and got seduced by the Emperor.

And I don't take anything that Luke says in TLJ seriously, cause that's not even Luke to begin with. Given the torch by Yoda and Kenobi to establish a new Jedi Order in ROTJ, but then magically reappears in TLJ as an amalgam of Qui-Gon, Anakin, Sidious and various disgruntled Jedi from the Legends novels, such as Kyp Durron.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  2. I wish we had Lucas Sequels, Star Wars Underworld and Star Wars 1313
    maybe those projects are real in an altenative world when Lucas never sold Star Wars to Disney

3. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    No, you see, you are incorrect. Your opinion on the matter is unfactual. Star Wars Detours is the final and comprehensive demonstration that Lucas had lost all creative power. It is not a thing -there is no platform- to arrange thought and emotion around what Lucas Sequels would have been. It is always already a priori -and before you were born- -and before your mom- factual that Lucas ST shall not have ever in any universe been worth a ticket price. Because, you see.

And we are fortunate that Disney took a dying franchise off his hands before it...
    Before it...
    Before it...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    Tosche_Station and eko32eko7 like this.
  4. Zef

Zef Jedi Knight

Oct 26, 2015
    Lucas was forced to sell it by the Disney mafia.

5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    lol wut

He wanted to wash his hands of the franchise, nobody forced him to sell anything, let alone for $4 billion.

6. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    This thread feels incomplete without a GIF of Lucas looking at Bob Iger and going, "Noooo.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" [face_rofl]

7. Zef

Zef Jedi Knight

Oct 26, 2015
    Suuuuuuure. xD

8. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    When I read or watch retrospectives of Star Wars and see Lucas as a young visionary that couldn't get anyone to give a rip about this crazy, sci-fi fantasy concoction...and how all of the pieces from incredibly skilled artisans (and Alan Ladd, Jr.) had to come together perfectly...it made me sad to see that vision become something seemingly very different over the years. I mean, I get it; you can only be truly inspired once, eh; and once you live that dream, it's a constant game of chasing what you've already done. I'm sure it got taxing for him, and after the prequels and fan reaction, exponentially so. And constantly tinkering...is it a never-ending attempt to achieve validation?

I still love Star Wars. I've been bitter and angry at times, as any "parent" is at times when their "child" goes in a different direction that you don't think is right and proper, but now that I'm older, my prevailing emotion when I read of these things is sadness for GL (and admittedly, myself somewhat). No amount of money in the world can replace the raw desire and passion from those early years.

9. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    It's perfectionism. As one of the most gifted and inventive filmmakers in human history, Lucas doesn't need validation from anyone.

Lest anyone has forgotten, as a young man he survived a car crash that nearly killed him, I'm sure he was just happy to have a second chance and the creative gifts to come up with awesome stuff like SW and Indiana Jones.

10. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    We know he doesn't need it. But one never knows what motivates another.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  11. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    When it's a public figure, though, we can usually have a pretty good idea. Lucas was always frustrated during the OT by the limitations of the F/X technology available at that time, so it isn't a surprise he'd want to make changes once CGI became a thing. Because he really must have envisioned all these even more amazing things back in 1976-1983 that he couldn't pull off at the time so he had to settle for what he could do with models, matte paintings, stop-motion, etc.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Michael Arndt is a really good writer. Little Miss Sunshine, Toy Story 3 and Catching Fire are all great movies. It was a dark day for SW when he was stabbed in the back and fired from TFA.

13. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    "Stabbed in the back", so dramatic.

Plenty of Arndt's stuff is in the final movie, anyway.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  14. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    A majority of fans I've spoken to want this reality at this point too. And you can tell in interviews that George regrets his decision, which makes it even more of a massive bummer.

wobbits, Emperor Ferus and Jesta' like this.
  15. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    It's a rotten imputation I suppose but I almost felt like Bob Iger enjoyed writing that "George felt betrayed" when they completely overhauled the story. Why did he expect them to use his outlines? Did the contract include careful ambiguities to let them slip out of an apparent commitment? Lucas knows how to write a contract, so I don't know what to think about all this.

For all we know he might be laying low so that Disney could sell the movie to audiences who turned on him. Meanwhile most of the outline still comes from him....?

Why did he skip the Episode IX premiere? Did he just not want to do any interviews?

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  16. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    He recently did a panel on The Clone Wars with Dave Filoni. He’s sort of keeping on the edges of the franchise, but I sense he is reluctant to go any where near the saga wanting to keep his stamp of approval from it. It’s really the only way he can negotiate and since they didn’t want his stories he feels no sense of obligation to validate it. Some folks could care less for a variety of reasons, but in the end the ST lacks a certain legitimacy without his seal of approval. They said they wanted to honor him, but they decided to do the opposite. What one says and what one does are different things and Lucas knows it and he won’t have it. What they did was nearsighted and the ST will not enjoy the same appreciation down the road as those that Lucas produced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    wobbits and DarthFixxxer like this.
  17. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    K

heels1785 likes this.
  18. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    The next letter is L, in case you were stumped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Thank you, I have trouble with that sometimes.

Immortiss likes this.
  20. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    That fits with Lucas feeling betrayed...thread title:rolleyes:

I'm surprised he became even a little active with SW outside of Mandalorian filming. You have the creator of SW alive and his ideas are null and void!!! This man still has ideas locked up in his mind and spirit.

I say let him uber-create a SW microbiotic world. As a retired armchair creator

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    Immortiss likes this.
  21. Tosche_Station

Tosche_Station Jedi Master star 2

Feb 9, 2015
    What we need is a Colonel Jessup-in-the-courtroom style speech from GL regarding his decision to sell to Disney.

22. Nhisso

Nhisso Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 30, 2020
    The man keeps selling out. I know selling out has a negative connotation, but it doesn't have to be a bad thing. If I invent something and "As Seen on TV" wants to sell my stuff in walmart and walgreens, sure I sold out. But oh well. I didn't invent my item for fun. It was to make dat cash lol. If they decide a purple martian should be on the box of my product, oh well. I sold my idea to the company for whatever our contract states. Whether it's a one time lump sum or a permanent profit from each sale for the duration of the invention's life, I sold out.

With that said, Lucas has no room to whine. He decided to let others handle his I.P., and they're doing so, for better or worse and every thing in between. He has seller's remorse. On the other hand, after seeing The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, and of course that god awful Indy Jones 4, I'm not exactly crying that he is no longer running the show. Even though the Clone Wars series is amazing IMO.

As for Hamill, I do agree with his disappointment. It's obvious they're killing off the "old" with a purpose that isn't story related. It's solely to usher in a new era and cut off ties to the past. And that is horrific. However, Hamill's social views are the same as Disney's and the new directors' of the movies. I do love watching peoples' non sense back fire. I don't mean to stir the pot too much, but that is just my view.

23. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    And because of Disney and LFL wanting to kill off the old they have made more OT related material then there has been since 1999 including TV shows, Comics, books. All they did during the Marketing of TFA was paying Homage to the OT and their main heros. They published several books where the OT era and heros were the main protagonists and were the focus. There are SEVERAL comic series featuring the OT era with its heros and villians. They published a TV show leading into the OT, they made 2 films honoring the OT, one leading into Ep IV, one featuring one of the 3 main heros of the OT. How they kill of the past or the old is beyond me...

Just because the main bad guy says so in TLJ doesnt make it true for the franchise or the guys behind the franchise. He's the bad one, he is the one you dont listen too. Or does anybody think that LFL should have made Luke side with Vader in Ep V after his proposal of ending the war as father and son?!

24. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    They killed the past because they killed off every one of the original 3. They didn't have to do that to move the story forward. Comparing Obi Wan dying to Luke dying is not really accurate. Yes they were both mentors but we had just met Obi Wan in ANH. If a new trilogy killed off Rey, Poe and Finn that would be just as messed up.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  25. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    They didnt have to include the OT characters at all in the ST. Those characters ARE not immortal! They can die as good as anybody else in the GFFA. The problem is that Luke, Leia and Han are treated as untouchable by some withhin the fandom. They had their movies to shine (they shine very bright in the ST IMO) and get more and more content withhin other canon material. I prefer them beeing killed ONSCREEN in the Saga much much more then them dying in a comic or novel or Spin off Show. It was 100 percent clear and certain for me that they wont make it through the ST. I dont know how anybody could doubt that...