main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why are moderators allowed

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Ben-Solo, May 3, 2020.

1. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    to be so active in threads, and then be also the ones to give warnings and or bans? This is a serious question. Are not moderators supposed to be impartial but then on some forums they participate in, it appears they actually don’t add to the conversation but make the conversation more combative and circular. Seems like there could be a double standard in this approach.

2. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I don’t know what specifically you’re referring to, but there’s a difference between a mod just voicing an opinion about a thread topic and a mod giving warnings and enforcing the rules. I think you’re confusing the two things.

3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    No, moderators are actually explicitly asked to be active users in the forums they mod. It's one of the requisites to become a moderator in the first place: you cannot mod efficiently if you don't know the forum, the forum's users, and the forum's culture. They are expected to enforce the rules evenly, of course, but they are users first and foremost: we already have a word filter.

4. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    there are pros and cons to having moderators participate.

I've been on forums that do both, though it seems (in my experience) 'paid' moderators, ie those that work for official news/entertainment sites-forums don't have their mods participate. It's more 'fan sites' that have volunteer mods that do it as they have been members first.

Be a bit unorthodox to say 'hey we want you to be a mod but you can't post about the fandom you enjoy and registered to talk about in the first place' don't you think? :p

5. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    So where is the line drawn if moderators are allowed to moderate their own forum? Say (x) is active in said forum but fuels baiting and antagonistical back and forth; yet then (x) gets to decide who gets the warning/without including oneself.

Erkan12 and Tython Awakening like this.
  6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    That's looked at case-by-case, and any user who feels a moderator is not doing their "job" right can start by sending a PM to another moderator asking for a second opinion or by contacting an administrator and asking them to mediate and look into the issue. Gather any evidence and get links to the posts you consider to be crossing the line first, and then you can make your case. Vagueness rarely achieves any results.

7. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    I see no way to alert other moderators about a moderator and not feel like blacklash would occur, whom ever was informed. I just won’t do it. Sorry talking vaguely is the only way to bring it up.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  8. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    If you feel like there is no one in the entire moderation team that you can report to, then that seems like a bigger issue than having an issue with one moderator.

9. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    I don’t trust it to be fairly evaluated and not have judgment passed on myself. I’m sure just by me bring this up has drawn an eye over the forums I frequent. (Which are only two) and myself unfortunately

10. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Again, if you feel like just by you bringing up vaguely that you may have an issue with one moderator is going to have you singled out by the moderation team, that seems like the bigger issue here.

11. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I have definitely complained about what I considered unjustified and unfair behavior from moderators, to a different moderator, in a very official and polite manner. You might be taking it too seriously, these are forums for people that want to talk about some movies and tv shows they like, no one is out to get you (or anyone else).

I personally prefer having the ability to interact with moderators in topics and engaging in conversations with them. Sometimes it feels that these forums are way too heavily moderated, but these are the rules, you gotta play with those.

12. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I've also had my fair share of issues with moderators. I was even banned once, which I think was completely justified in hindsight. I've also had a lot of great conversations with those very same moderators. They're just doing their jobs, and while they aren't infallible, most of them are kind and overall willing to talk with users about their decisions.

13. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I think the problem is even if a moderator sincerely believes that the other moderator is doing wrong, I don't think they will going to agree with the member on any subject, and they would side with their fellow moderator (I think it's classic politics) in any case, that's my opinion, and I also think there are double standards on many other subjects. So I think the users should come up with an idea and bring that idea to the administrator.

Btw, if you open your profile I can be more specific on this by sending you a pm.

14. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Moderators have our own forum in which we discuss forum issues. I can tell you that there have been multiple times when some moderators disagreed with how other moderators dealt with an issue or a user. The fact that you dont see this behind the scenes work does not mean it does not ocur. In 99% of the cases moderators hash out differences between thmeselves, and in the rare case that we cant the admins step in and make the final decision. Although it may seem like it sometimes, moderator decisions are rarely arbitrary and caprious. And in the case that a decision is inconsistent with past practices or conflicts with forum policy and rules, it gets corrected pretty quickly.

Moderators are here to do a job. . But we are also huge fans so we also like to get engaged in discussions seperate from our mod duties.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  15. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I think that makes sense.

Just out of curiosity, what's the difference between JCC managers and administrators, for operative purposes?

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The admins are the top level of the managerial structure (if you don't include the site owner). If a user has an issue with a mod, they can bring it to one (or all 3) of us. We have an admin forum where we can discuss issues before bringing them to the wider mod community in the mod forum. Admins also have a few more powers (altering board appearance, for example or adding new user groups) than the managers. There is also a moderator level below managers that new mods are in for a month after promotion. As Head Admin, @JoinTheSchwarz is above Jello and me.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    We keep an external unified front for a few reasons, and one of the biggest is actually to ensure that moderators abide by consensus and/or admin direction. Nobody wants a renegade moderator -- and if bias and abuse is a key concern, this is one of the ways we handle it.

As others have said, that doesn't mean that we don't disagree with moderator actions. We can and do -- in private -- and sometimes that leads to reversals. Sometimes it doesn't. One of the biggest reasons we discuss it in private is exactly so that moderators who are not actively involved can give their own two cents.

18. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Because there are more staff and moderators here than ordinary members lol

19. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    a quick glance at the number of staff online compared to the number of users online says otherwise

20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Don't forget that some of us are outside of the US as well. There are times during the UK morning when I'm the only mod online.

21. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Never let it be said that Star Wars fans don’t have a sense of humour.

22. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    in my experience, the mods are also fans and share their sense of humor

23. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Based on just the thread title I was expecting this to be a rant about the existence of moderators.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    We do all occasionally have existential crises.

25. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Made me laugh out loud, before I was quickly reminded that I haven't seen any of my close friends in 2 months and have no idea when I will see them or my family.
    And now I have to teach online about our galaxy and the galactic recycling process. I should get some wine for tonight.