main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What We Do in the Dark Side: Taika Waititi to direct/co-write new Star Wars film

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by PymParticles , May 4, 2020.

1. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Announced today through the official website, Academy Award winner Taika Waititi will direct and co-write a new Star Wars film (for theatrical release) Academy Award nominee Krysty Wilson-Cairns as his co-writer. no release date or further details have been announced.

https://www.starwars.com/news/taika-waititi-announce

2. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Solid choices!

Mostly Handless and DarthRosie like this.
  3. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    So, is this our 2022 release? Seems tight time-wise, especially in the current climate.

4. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    No chance. He is directing Thor 4 which is a 2022 film I believe.

5. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Yes, that's been pushed from November 2021 to February 2022 due to current events. My best guess is that the plan is for Waititi's Star Wars film to hit theaters December 2024, since 2023 would be too much of a crunch, and they'd have to shuffle around James Cameron's eighty Avatar sequels to place it there. Obviously, depending on how the next few months go and how that affects film slates and production timelines, that could shift.

6. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    hell yeah

7. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
  8. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Is this good news or are we doomed?

9. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Nice gif usage.

LFL screwed the pooch with the ST and GE but I hope this leads to them getting it right. At least its someone who has proven to be able to direct a good Star Wars story.

Individual SW film projects should be the way to go until they have built up enough to go epic with some kind of interconnected story.

10. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Not a fan of Thor: Ragnarok, but I like Taika in general, so I'm optimistic.

RetropME and Darth Buzz like this.
  11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes.

12. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    The Avatar sequels won't arrive before 2030 anyway, so there's still a spot to be had :p

You never know how much work has been done so far, but December 2022 would definately be hard to achieve with Thor 4 already being on Waititi's plate. I wouldn't rule out 2023 though. At this point I don't think the officially stated dates mean all that much. They are probably more placeholders then anything. If one movie that currently fills a spot doesn't make it, another one can jump right in. It's always better to have a spot secured, even if the movie that is set for it is unlikely to make it. While studios may not always avoid specific competition, they generally do try not to overcrowd things complete.y

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Does this come out in August?

Or tomorrow?

I love you, tomorrow.

Master_Lok and Bor Mullet like this.
  14. RetropME

Dec 11, 2017
    I think it would be a mistake announcing the film this early if release isn't until 2023 or later... but that's because I don't like the idea that the next Star Wars film I see in a theater is another 3+ years away. :(

15. The Original Sith

The Original Sith Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 12, 2017
    As much as I want to see a new Star Wars movie, I’m willing to wait as long as it takes in order to get it right. The last thing we need is another rushed Star Wars movie.

16. RetropME

Dec 11, 2017
    I completely agree 100% and yet I can't help but think that 2022 would be doable, particularly if it's a new story that doesn't have to "complete a saga." That being said, 2022 doesn't really line up with his schedule. I just hope that it's great, whatever it is, and that it can revitalize Star Wars when the time comes.

17. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    Waititi and the writer of 1917. Wonder if they'll bring Thomasin McKenzie and/or George MacKay to the cast. They are young up and comers so I would expect at least one of them, Thomasin more likely.

18. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    So the new trailer for this drops tomorrow right?

In all seriousness, this is very excellent news.

19. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Amazing, great news ! I love his style !

chris hayes and RetropME like this.
  20. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    @PymParticles

It’s been almost TWO hours since this announcement, and I haven’t heard Kennedy or Iger mention it at all. My guess is that it’s in trouble and probably not happening. Waititi likely fired and Wilson-Cairns canned, and maybe replaced by Tony Gilroy. In any case, better just turn this forum back to Dune, because there’s nothing to see here.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  21. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I think you've got it a little mixed up. I'm hearing that Taika actually fired Kennedy.

22. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    [​IMG]

23. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Definitely the most intriguing and promising director-announcement of the Disney era imho. Now, if only there was a bit more clarity on the Rian Johnson trilogy . . .

24. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Brilliant news! So excited! I absolutely loved Thor Ragnarok.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    Jimbing, Bor Mullet and Darth Smurf like this.
  25. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    As long as his movie is like the episode of The Mandalorian he directed and not like Thor Ragnorak, we might be okay.

Maud'dib likes this.