main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Who Should Direct the Next/Future Star Wars Film(s)?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 14, 2019.

1. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    Gore Verbinski. First 3 POTC movies were basically SW (and LOTR) on high seas. The man has insane flare with visuals and he was also fully on board with Depp's take on Sparrow that some Disney PTB were uncomfortable with. I adobe first 3 and consider them better than what passes for quality entertianment these days.

James Wan. He nailed Aquaman. he nailed the scale and fun. He isn't pretentous and fully gets whimsical unlike many suggested directors who seem only interested in dour and serioues.

Patty Jenkins if she cuts down on slo mo. I thought that WW did a great job with characters which is super important. Not so much with action at least third act with Ares almost ruined the rest retroactively. But character work was ace. Just please enough with slo mo this isn't 2007.

2. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Actually, Gore Verbinski is underrated in that nobody seems to know him (my personal anecdote here) and he would probably do well with a Star Wars film.

POTC basically went downhill after him.

3. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I especially liked it for the same reason I liked Captain America First Avenger It was a period piece and I thought the Love story was written well because a Woman wrote it! I thought the film had heart!

4. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Honestly, this has been brought up before, but you could bring up Steven Spielberg since he's an associate of Lucas.

Truth be told, though, he hasn't been good for a while and I haven't seen any films by him recently.

5. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    Indeed.

TLJ used POTC DMC and AWE DP Heinrichs. I was not surprised that TLJ had a salt flats set for that was so effectively used in AWE (Davey Jones Locker).

6. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Spielberg is still great. His dramas from the past ten years like War Horse, Lincoln, The Post, and Bridge of Spies all display that. The issue is he doesn't seem to have any interest in the blockbuster films most of his know and admire him for, and that's okay; that's just his growth as an artist. But if you look at something like, say Ready Player One (which you really shouldn't look at) the film is completely lifeless and devoid of passion. I think there's a good reason why he dropped out of directing Indiana Jones, preferring to let some fresh blood come into the series, but leapt through hoops to ensure he made West Side Story, as he's always wanted to direct a musical.

7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Sam Mendes

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    Darth Nave likes this.
  8. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I hear that Taika Waititi is pretty hot right now, maybe they should tap him?

9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  10. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Why do you link to another forum when you have the link to the actual announcement right there?

11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’d like to see Waititi direct a Star Wars film.

12. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I would like that also lol

Bor Mullet likes this.
  13. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Yeah, I go through all the effort of creating a thread that doesn't contain a dig at the brainless cretins that post on here, and this is the thanks I get for being nice?

Bor Mullet likes this.
  14. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Heard about Waititi a few days ago, could it be a story about a scoundrel coming good?

;)

15. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    What I am wondering is is there anyone out there who has the creativity of George Lucas to really come up with a great story and characters. There are plenty of good directors out there. Great storytellers? Hmmmmm.......

16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I keep hearing rumors that Lucasfilm wants someone BIG like High pedigree BIG to sail the ship for whatever the next big thing Star Wars is...But that could just be rumor.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  17. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Stanley Kubrick.

18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Bor Gullet.

19. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    The Duffer Brothers (at least they should announce them so they can fire someone someday)

20. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Jean-Pierre Jeunet. With Dominique Pinon as a Jedi Master.

21. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The nerd from Den of Nerds keeps alluding to this but refuses to say who it is.

22. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Another outside the box option I'd consider is J.C. Chandor. I think he's one of the smarter directors out there, with an eye for both texture and scope and he also deftly balances large ensembles. Margin Call, All is Lost, A Most Violent Year and Triple Frontier are all worth seeing.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. imperial scum

imperial scum Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 7, 2020
    Quentin Tarantino - to turn it into a bloody mess
    Zack Snyder - to make everything dark and depressing
    Ridley Scott - grotesque aliens and rebelling a.i.
    Christopher Nolan - extra confusing with pseudo-philosophical dialogue

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I want Christopher Nolan for his audio sensibilities.

Whenever a Star Destroyer drops out of hyperspace it will be noted with a massive cinema-quaking bass fart.

25. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    And not only will the sound effects be deafening and building-shaking, the dialogue will be slightly above a whisper.

I'm not convinced there isn't something horribly wrong with Nolan's ears.