main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Speculation Does anyone think due to Ahsoka's popularity, they might make a film about her?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Eli Vanto, Apr 16, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eli Vanto

Eli Vanto Jedi Youngling

Oct 5, 2019
    I know Rosario Dawson has been cast as Ahsoka for Season 2 of the Mandalorian, but I just think that her character is really incredible. Perhaps she might appear in the Obi-Wan Kenobi series?

What do you guys think?

InterestingLurker likes this.
  2. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I don't know how popular she is in terms of the mass audience required to justify the budget of a feature film. Plus, I don't think character-based movies are going to happen anytime soon; those were put into Disney+ after the last one didn't go as well as expected. The direction of films will be to put together new GFFA scenarios for a good while.
    If she really became huge AFTER being the Mandalorian with the larger crowd (as happened with Baby Yoda), then perhaps she could have her own production, but it would likely be on Disney+ and not film. TV actually is a far better way to develop a character; much easier to do a good job when not constrained to 2 hours; that would be the best bet for this character.
    They could put her in other shows, but they shouldn't run her into the ground with overexposure. We don't want her in everything.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    cwustudent and BRE like this.
  3. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Maybe a Disney+ show sure, but not a film.

Most of the big stuff in her life, we’ve already seen in the cartoons anyway.

Her Mandalorian appearance, will be showing her post-RotJ.

How many Star Wars films focus on an older person, let alone an older woman.

It ain’t gonna happen.

4. Eli Vanto

Eli Vanto Jedi Youngling

Oct 5, 2019
    Well the Kenobi series will be focusing on older Obi-Wan?

cerealbox likes this.
  5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    But, the key word there is "series" for television. If the world-changing phenomena that is Baby Yoda has not caused a greenlit Mandalorian theatrical film, we can probably expect LFL to stay the course with "character" solo events being on Disney+.

cwustudent, EHT and cerealbox like this.
  6. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    A film, no. A Disney+ series, yes.

I don't think they'll take the risk of making movies about characters that are, from a general audience standpoint, niche. It's different were they to say, "This is a brand new characters in a brand new story!" New fans like the accessibility of new things, and older fans have been begging for fresh/new for a while now; that approach could also help them make gains in international markets like China were Star Wars doesn't have much of a presence.

Making a movie about someone like Ahsoka does the opposite of that. It might be exciting to fans, but largely because they're getting more of the same in a new medium. For casual fans and the like, it could run the risk of feeling inaccessible. The moment it becomes clear this movie is about a character that's shown up in a couple of cartoons, mentally that's going to translate to "this movie won't make sense to me unless I've done all this homework," and that can be a bit of a turn off.

Before it's mentioned, I don't think Ahsoka showing up in The Mandalorian is quite the same thing. As popular as that show is, it's still comparatively niche due to being a streaming-only show on a service that only so many people have, which is only available in so many territories.

7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  8. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Movie? No.

Movies are passe at this point. I get the appeal, but the 2020s will be mostly about the TV shows with a few movie "events" thrown around here and there. Star Wars is about pushing boundaries in different mediums and trying new things. I think that's why Lucas was all about a CGI-animated series and that Underworld series that was completely live-action and that was extremely early in the 2010s. At this point, why not TV shows that connect to each other like the Marvel movies connect to each other? Of course, you'd have to be careful with such a thing because nobody wants to "feel forced" into watching every TV show to know what's going on, but I could see it working if you tone down the interconnectivity.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  9. Eli Vanto

Eli Vanto Jedi Youngling

Oct 5, 2019

Hmm.. that's interesting. When you think about it though, the availability of content concerning Ahsoka is limited compared to other mainstream characters like Obi-Wan, Anakin, Luke etc. Obviously, the Legends material is considered obsolete to the Canon timeline, but the amount of material available for Ahsoka is meager even in the new Canon. She's present in Clone Wars, a few episodes of Rebels, and she has a book written about her. Do you think that if people really enjoy her presence in the Mandalorian, it will gain enough acclamation to greenlight a show focusing on her?

10. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Actually, that's all a fair point: she really doesn't have that much content about her.

But even so, I believe that Ahsoka could eventually get her own TV show. A movie though? That would be too risky and I don't think that Disney or Lucasfilm wants yet another film on their hands that tanks or underperforms. So with that said, I think that it would be better if there was an Ahsoka TV show rather than a movie about her.

11. Eli Vanto

Eli Vanto Jedi Youngling

Oct 5, 2019
    Yeah I agree.
    I honestly think it's great that she will be appearing in the Mandalorian; Clearly Disney has some faith in her character. Perhaps they are waiting to see how Rosario Dawson performs in embodying her character? It's all too common for live-action adaptations of a character to end up abysmal. We'll just have to wait and see how Dawson does in the show. One thing I'm nervous about is Ahsoka's depiction in the show. Ashley Eckstein was incredible as Ahsoka in animated television; Will Rosario be able to offer her own unique take on the character while still retaining Ahsoka's appeal?

12. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    She's a fun character to glue together the TV shows, and maybe to have a series of her own. TV Star Wars viewers know her. Movie viewers would need to be convinced.

As a movie? It could be done, though I don't see the benefit. Movies of TV shows feel weird. A bigger budget extended episode.

I think I'd rather 8 good episodes than a 2 hour movie.

Eli Vanto and InterestingLurker like this.
  13. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    A film, a TV show, etc. Point is, you don't hire Rosario Dawson and not use her to the fullest imo.

14. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    If there is an Ashoka TV series, then I would hope that her legacy as one of Anakin's progeny (in a sense) is played up some, since we don't really see her adult self reflect on her time as Anakin's Padawan.

Eli Vanto likes this.
  15. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm not happy with Rosario as Ahsoka, however Ahsoka should have been in movies before the ST was made

16. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    All depends on who is calling shots whenever the next SW movie will be. If Filoni is involved with a live-action film its almost a guarantee we see her on the big screen. I don't think he's been on a project yet that didn't include that character.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    Darkslayer likes this.
  17. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    I never liked the character so I don't look forward to any live-action appearances. Even bringing her back for TCW felt forced. IMO, Ahsoka's been shoehorned into enough SW content as it is.

cwustudent, Erkan12, Dandelo and 2 others like this.
  18. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    I would rather have her in a tv series/show anyway. Live action of course.

19. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Hopefully not. Most of the GA doesn’t even know who she is.

cwustudent likes this.
  20. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
  21. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    There’s no reason why they couldnt make a film including her, but not necessarily with her as the main focus.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I don’t see why that’s an issue. In fact, most of the GA knew exactly who Han Solo was, and that didn’t help that film’s reception (and indeed, may have hurt it). The Mandalorian is a brand new character, and that TV show caught on like wildfire (with a big assist from Baby Yoda). So most not knowing who Ashoka is may be an asset, as they will simply treat her as a new character in the Star Wars universe.

That said, I think movies that are centered on one character, rather than a concept, may not be the best idea. In any event, the future is in TV, and she’d be better represented in that medium. It’s no longer the case that a story or character isn’t respected until they get a movie. TV has equal or even greater prestige than movies these days. Especially in the genre field.

Darkslayer likes this.
  23. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    If the Ahsoka show is a huge hit, they're more likely to consider a movie. I'm still waiting to see how well they pull off a Togruta in live action.

But as many people are saying, TV has become cinematic while retaining great character storytelling with believable psychological motivation and cause and effect. So the real question for film is: what is the upshot of a medium that has become trapped in mindless big budget spectacle?

David Lynch says art-house's new home is TV, and I agree. The same is true for quality drama and spectacle with depth and purpose.

Lee_, Ubraniff Zalkaz and Bor Mullet like this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Yup. I’d even go so far as to say leave the big screen to Marvel and move everything else to TV.

25. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I’m fine with Star Wars sticking to Disney plus. I loved the ST and spinoffs in the theater, but I got more enjoyment out of the two seasons of Clone Wars and Mandalorian. Maybe that’s the future. I know I’m currently enjoying the experience and all of the possibilities.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.