main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I loved the A-team and helping at a carpenter club for kids 5-12 years old I had to help them building that van from wood. The space-shuttle, X-wing and Millennium Falcon were also popular building objects as well as the old batmobile from the TV-show

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I recently read a clever political limerick in which it said you know the protestors were white males because they left unharmed...

I get the high emotions. My work isn’t like that, but our apartment is managing to stand in spite of us cycling through arguing, bursting into song, and just hanging out depending on the week. We really need outside time for exercise and a break.

Lady_Misty and AzureAngel2 like this.
  3. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I’ve been distance teaching since the middle of March, but now my district wants us to meet via Google Meet with every class once a week. [face_hypnotized]
    This is gonna be a challenge for me. I learned how to set this up by googling it.
    Wish me luck! [face_skull]

edit: first class went well! Maybe I’ve got this after all. :D

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    Lady_Misty, mavjade , Gamiel and 2 others like this.
  4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    You can rock it.

5. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    True. Of course, it is not hard to guess the demographics of the protestors when you realize they came from Northern Michigan where the population is 97% white.

I just want things to calm down and get back to normal.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Because I'm Gamiel:
    [​IMG]

7. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    @Gamiel this totally needs to be your signature trademark from now on: Because I'm Gamiel

I also expect to see some kind of publication under that brand name with all your research and awesome fanon.

But mostly because I didn't know Spiderman had a lightsaber at one point and now I do. :p

Lady_Misty and DarthIshtar like this.
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It is that actually already in Lit's social thread.

Lady_Misty and gizkaspice like this.
  9. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Got some good news today! Because the curve has been so flattened where I live, in about two weeks restrictions will be eased to allow small gatherings of 6 or fewer people, and a couple other things like some retail stores that have been closed will allow to reopen (and a couple other things like non-essential medical services will re-open and elective surgeries). It will be far from normal (and it's already been decided by the organizations I am a part of that all organized wheelchair sports will be canceled for the rest of the year, but as things ease and open up, there might be 1x1 things like tennis) but I'll be able to hang out with my sister again! I might even try to convince my mom to come for a visit. I just want a hug from my mommy [:D]

10. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm a huge proponent of working from home, doing things remotely in general circumstances, for people who want/can do it. But I have learned that big company wide, week long meetings need to be done in person. We've been doing a new product launch training this week and doing it online is terrible. It's so hard to pay attention, they gave us fewer breaks than they would if it had been live (15 minutes in 3.5 hours), and you don't get any hands on experience.

I'm glad it went well!! I'm sure you'll be awesome at it! :D

11. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Welcome. You have taken your first steps into a larger world.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  12. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    I’ve been doing it for only the last five weeks and we all go back on Monday. I’ve been fielding calls from my mum whose worried about my asthmatic six year old going back to school but we don’t really have any Choice.

I’m glad the google meetings went well. My sons teacher does videos on Microsoft teams and I do chat with my high schoolers but it’s not the same as face-to-face as I miss the banter and sarcasm but I do now have a good collection of Star Wars memes t drop into their onenotes as feedback.

In good news my Bluey pyjama pants arrived today - 2 days after I bought them which is a record for Australia Post as last time I ordered anything online it took 6 weeks . If you haven’t seen the Aussie cartoon Bluey you should seek it out, it’s one of the most beautiful things on television.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lady_Misty and divapilot like this.
  13. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    I can’t find a full episode but this is a clip from Fairies. I was checking it and my six year old screams from the lounge “why are you watching fairies!” Such is the power of Bluey

gizkaspice likes this.
  14. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Wait a moment---what's this? *reads about Bluey show* Female characters without ridiculous eyelashes, bows, or lipstick to designate them as 'girls'? Actual lessons that kids and adults can learn and apply to everyday life? :eek:[face_hypnotized][face_hypnotized]

Thanks for sharing the existence of this beautiful cartoon! :D

DarthIshtar likes this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That's to little, have you talked about that with your superior or colleges about this? You should have at least 10 mins of break time after each 50 mins of work.

16. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    The US is sadly severely lacking in worker protections. In most states, there are no mandatory breaks at all and employers can legally require you to work a full day straight through without any breaks. In some industries, labor unions help establish a right to breaks by way of contracts, but the laws in most states and at the federal level do not require them.

Also, you'd be laughed out the door and accused of being lazy if you suggested a 10 minute break every hour in the US. I've never heard of an employer here that gives more than one break per two hours.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  17. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Unfortunately there's not a whole lot to be done. My boss is also in this training, so his his boss, and that guys boss. It's literally the entire USA group of my division on here (and I think a few from the home office in Denmark.)
    I think because it's all online they figure you can just go to bathroom whenever you want. Which is true, but then you miss whatever happened then. For normal working, that's not a big amount of time -I've certainly gone way longer- but when trying to learn a new product, my brain needs a few breaks.

And yeah, JC is right, there are no federal break laws in the US, it's state by state and even when you have them, they can be difficult to enforce. The one time I worked at a place that got in trouble for not adhering to state break laws, the fix was a lot worse than the issue. But hospitals are weird for breaks anyway, I've literally gone 12 hours without even going to the bathroom.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  18. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    We supposedly get a 15 minute break every 4 hours. Luckily with my job I am assigned different floors to work and so nobody knows where I am at any given time. So unless I am really busy I can sneak off to the bathroom.

With this pandemic it actually has gotten less busy where I am. With the cancellation of all elective surgeries and people scared to come to the hospital the place has been a ghost town. The local hospital had to post information online saying, "If you are having a heart attack or stroke call 911! Don't avoid the hospital!" The comments on that post were amazing. People were saying, "I would rather die of a heart attack than go to the hospital and catch Corona!"

What?!

So the hospital has had very few people come in for help. So much so that, about twice a month I have been sent home because of low census (not enough work). That should change soon with the allowing of elective surgeries to continue. I suspect I will be very, very busy at the hospital as the surgeons work on the huge backlog of elective surgeries.

earlybird-obi-wan likes this.
  19. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Kids can go to school again next week and contact-jobs (barbers, pedicure, dentist, massage) can begin. Restaurants follow june 1 with restrictions and sports september 1. But no large festivities until a vacin is found.
    Yesterday I read in my newspaper that 3 hospitals are now using dive-masks with an air-supply-unit normally used by welders for their IC workers

20. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
  21. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Our Governor has extended the stay at home order until the 28th of May. I am sure this is not going to go over well with our militia members. They will probably storm the capital once again.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  22. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Where do you find those? Columbo was one of my favorites when I was a kid.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    They are showing them on our state TV channels and I can see them on TV when they are on or from their playservice some weeks after that

Lady_Misty likes this.
  24. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Thanks @Gamiel . Then they may be available here as well. I have some on your channels on my TV.

25. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    mavjade likes this.