main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The movie music of James Horner

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Bob Effette, May 10, 2020.

1. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    What are your thoughts on the music of the late James Horner, composer of scores from movies such as Aliens, Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan, Braveheart, Titanic, Avatar and Apollo 13.

I think some of his scores are outstandingly good, and I rate him as much as I do John Williams. It is such a tragedy he won't be around to score long time collaborator James Cameron's Avatar sequels.

I was listening to the score from one of his early efforts, Roger Corman's "Battle Beyond the Stars" , and whilst that movie is B-movie hokum, Horner's music is fantastic.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    Sarge likes this.
  2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    You named the great ones for sure. Star Trek aside, the first major Horner score I got into was Braveheart. I love his Zorro scores. His most underrated score that I love is Deep Impact. Losing him was a huge loss.

Bob Effette likes this.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The Rocketeer is probably my favorite Horner. Certainly the one I've listened to the most times; is it possible to wear out a CD? I like to think he was listening to it, at least in his head, when he crashed his plane. :(

4. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    Krull is another good one.

Sith Lord 2015, Sarge and StarYogi like this.
  5. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Oh man I've never seen the Rocketeer film, nor heard the score. I have this thing where I don't listen to scores for films I've not seen. Because of that I recently made a list of great scores for which I've never seen the films. I am adding the Rocketeer!

Bob Effette and Sarge like this.
  6. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I think Glory is his absolute best work, especially how he incorporated the Harlem Boys Choir in it. Preparations for Battle and Charging Fort Wagner are two amazing standouts.

7. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    Great film.

Bob Effette likes this.
  8. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    I loved all those 90's era remakes of classic 1930's comics and serials. The Rocketeer, The Phantom, Dick Tracy, etc.

Bob Effette likes this.
  9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Glory is a very good film and score.

christophero30 and Bob Effette like this.
  10. castin

castin Jedi Grand Master star 1

Aug 11, 1999
    A lot of the greats have been mentioned, but I also notice he scored a lot of children's/family films and respect that he didn't water these down or cheapen them thinking they were for kids and kids don't know any better. An American Tail has some absolutely beautiful work, and Casper has a piano-driven theme that tears your heart out of your chest.

christophero30 and Bob Effette like this.
  11. someoneinpassing

someoneinpassing Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2019
    One of his lesser known scores is Man Without A Face. Beautiful, soft main theme. As another post mentioned, Casper is another favorite of mine, with an achingly melancholy theme.

Sarge and Bob Effette like this.
  12. someoneinpassing

someoneinpassing Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2019
    And of course, Legends of the Fall. My goodness, what beautiful music.

If you like Horner, also check out Rachel Portman. She has some really nice stuff, especially the Cider House Rules main theme.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    christophero30 likes this.
  13. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Field of Dreams was a great Horner score. Clear and Present Danger is a nice score too. And of course Aliens.

14. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    He would recycle a lot of his stuff. This same piece of music is used at the end of Aliens and at the end of Die Hard.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    But didn't Michael Kamen do Die Hard?

16. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    He did I think, but this piece appears at the end in both (?)

17. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I know there's a slow piece in Patriot Games that sounds a lot like some Aliens music. When they are in the war room with the infrared.

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I just rewatched Krull for the first time since the 80's. The score is Horner composing in all-out Star Trek movie mode, good stuff. Easily the best part of the movie.

19. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Wrath of Khan is an iconic score.

Sarge likes this.
  20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I've actually been listening to a playlist of Horner scores on shuffle a lot lately. It's everything I have, minus Avatar (because I've listened to that one a TON and wanted to give others more time) and minus his two Star Trek scores (because I tend to listen to Star Trek all together as a thing). Thus the playlist is these scores:

Apollo 13, Braveheart, Deep Impact, Titanic, Troy, The Perfect Storm, The Land Before Time, and both Zorro scores.

Such good stuff. My all time favorite is probably Braveheart. I think Deep Impact is underrated. There are definitely Horner scores I need to see the films for so I can listen to the scores. I've heard Behind Enemy Lines is excellent.

21. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Aliens is mostly what I listen to at night. Mostly.

paradigmes likes this.
  22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    @Strilo , have you heard the score for The Rocketeer? That's my favorite Horner.

23. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    The Rocketeer. Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long, long, time. :ben:

Sarge likes this.
  24. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I have not yet heard the Rocketeer, as I've not seen the film. I have this thing where I don't listen to scores until I see them in the film. But it's on my list. Seeing as I am in a Horner mood, I might start knocking some of these films off my watchlist so I can start exploring the scores!

Jedi Knight Fett and Sarge like this.
  25. Jediking97

Jediking97 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 24, 2018
    Star Trek II is my favorite Horner score

Another one that is underrated is Honey I Shrunk the Kids

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021