main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics A/V The Complete Star Wars Timeline with Viable Legends Part 2

Discussion in 'Literature' started by MasterDarkra, May 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. MasterDarkra

MasterDarkra Jedi Master

Apr 26, 2006
    Greetings all. Before I begin, I wanted to shoot you the link to the first part of our discussion:
    The Complete Star Wars Timeline with Viable Legends
    If you are a participant from the previous thread, then I recommend just skipping to the last subheading of this thread entitled: "The Old Republic Era".
    For all new comers, I wanted to express my appreciation to you for reading this post. I’ve put a lot of thought into the foregoing. Henceforth, I kindly ask that only those that are actually going to post information toward the project to be involved. Posts that are critical of the project, or simply add no value to what we are trying to do are not welcomed.

A Timeline That "Doesn’t Exist"
    [​IMG]

"Where can I find a canon and legends media timeline that uses canon as the baseline?" I asked on the popular Star Wars subreddit. The response was summed up well by one of the posters: "It doesn't exist".
    So, after an excessive amount of searching, I’ve realized that there truly is no resource for the Star Wars community with respect to a truly complete timeline that includes legends material that has not been debunked by canon material. The opposite has been done, that is a complete legends timeline, using legends material as the baseline and adding canon material that coincides with it. That timeline can be found here. It’s absolutely fantastic, and is without a doubt my favorite timeline. I would highly recommend it to any Star Wars enthusiast.

Personally, I find both in story timelines to have their pros and cons. However, with respect to having a timeline using canon as the baseline; I think this would be a fascinating project to complete. It may have various benefits as well. For example, content creators could potentially use it as a reference point; or possibly even authors of canon Star Wars material. And at the very least, it fills in a lot of blanks that are currently in canon. For example, in times past there was massive amounts of character development for the prequel characters through the expanded universe medium. A plethora of gourmet, high quality stories exist that still fit into our current understanding of canon, and add depth to these characters that simply hasn’t been replaced by canon material, and likely won’t be replaced ever, or for a very long time.

"I Need Your Help”
    [​IMG]

However, a project such as this is a massive undertaking. Legends material alone is overwhelming with how much has been published. And with respect to canon, it’s been 6 years and we already have hundreds of produced content to work with. And, it’s only getting more difficult as time goes on. I have consumed my fair share of both legends and canon material, but I’ve yet to consume all of it. And even if I did, recalling events that may contradict with legends is a tedious process. I need help. And I humbly ask you for this help. This is a project that I want the community to truly be a part of. Legends and canon fans alike. As Fives once said: “Look around. We’re one and the same. Same heart, same blood.”

"Your Mind, Powerful It Is"
    [​IMG]

This is how we will create our timeline: It will not be done all at once. A project such as this should be treated with much care, and so proceeding through the timeline will be done by going slowly era by era in the order of:

Before the Republic

The Old Republic Era.

Rise of the Empire.

Era of Rebellion.

The New Republic.

The New Jedi Order.

The Legacy Era.

Once an era has been satisfactorily discussed, and a general consensus is reached with respect to that era will we then move on to the subsequent eras for further discussion within another thread. I will post the link to that thread here when we get to that point.

The format of your post should indicate if a certain legend does or does not contradict with current understanding of canon. If it DOES contradict canon, a reason and a reference to canon material must be provided.

Canon Superposition
    [​IMG]

First, let’s consider our baseline. The entire official canon of the Star Wars continuity.
    This is what will be considered authoritative. If a legend contradicts canon, then that legend will be removed, and it will be considered a debunked legend. Keep in mind that the opposite is potentially true. Canon material may prove a legend correct. Henceforth, what is considered canon will be superimposed upon the legends.

Before The Republic

[​IMG]

Our first post in this series was based on the era before the Republic existed. The amount of content we have for it is relatively small. After some discussion, it was found that the entire era has remained intact. All of the following stories may still very well be considered true in the Star Wars universe:

25,793 BBY[3] C Dawn of the Jedi: The Prisoner of Bogan by John Ostrander

25,793 BBY[2] N Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void by Tim Lebbon

25,793 BBY[1] C Dawn of the Jedi: Force Storm by John Ostrander

25,793 BBY[1] SS The Adventures of Lanoree Brock, Je'daii Ranger by Tim Lebbon

25,792 BBY[2] C Dawn of the Jedi: Force War by John Ostrander

Sidv88 said it well:

The Old Republic Era
    [​IMG]

So, what’s next? Well, we enter into a fan favorite: The Old Republic Era. This era spans thousands of years! It begins 5000 years before the battle of Yavin (BBY), and ends 996 years BBY.
    The timeline of it can be found here. The stories within this era are rich and wonderful. But have they been debunked? Some conversation on our previous thread touched specifically on the game “The Old Republic”.

The aforementioned Sidv88 went on to say:
    Tython Awakening shot back by saying:
    What do you think?

Personally, I believe that at this point the Old Republic definitely can be knocked off the list. Tython Awakening does have a point, but until there is a canon reference that clearly states the Jedi had multiple homeworlds, it simply doesn’t fit anymore and has to be relegated to the debunked list.

However, there are a plethora of novels and games and comics that we still can discuss. Do any contradict canon? Besides the Old Republic game, nothing comes to my mind in particular, though I could be wrong.

Again, please keep in mind the proper post format as mentioned under the “Your Mind, Powerful It Is” subheading.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  2. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Even after five years in, here in May 2020, the new Disney-owned timeline has not managed to supplant or erase the Expanded Universe, which is now rebranded as "Legends."

I do see how your post contains a link to a wookiepedia timeline that has Tales of the Jedi: Golden Age of the Sith. Are you concerned with referencing or discussing the historical events that comprise Golden Age of the Sith and its follow-up arc, Fall of the Sith Empire? The historical events exist independently from the published stories due to the way the EU releases tied into each other and referenced each other. Apparently, the new SW published works post-2015 continue to reference these historical events. Wookiepedia appears to be capturing these new references as they pop up in places like visual dictionaries and Fantasy Flight Games books.

Dawn of the Jedi shows the origin of the Jedi in the Tython system in the Legends/Expanded Universe. There can be other pieces to the same puzzle. The puzzle we are discussing here is the origin of the Jedi and the Jedi Order. Every new era may have required a new rebuilding and a new homeworld.

The Je'Daii in Dawn of the Jedi are shown as a precursor group to the Jedi Order. There is no denying that. Here is a wookiepedia page link to the Je'Daii Order https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Je'daii_Order You can see the similarity between the Je'daii Code and the code later used on Ossus at the outset of the Great Hyperspace War:
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Jedi_Code/Legends

EDIT: Also check out this wookiepedia link on the discovery of the force on Tython. This cancelled content would have been from early in the conception of Dawn of the Jedi. As part of the linkage between Dawn of the Jedi and Old Republic, this content would have been part of the Gnost Dural videos. So again, we have in-universe historians putting the perspective from their era into their retellings of long, past eras. Was the force really discovered on Tython? Or was Gnost Dural missing a piece of the puzzle? https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline_19:_Force_"Discovered"_on_Tython
    Timeline 19: Force "Discovered" on Tython would have been the nineteenth in the series of in-universe videos, providing backstory for the Star Wars: The Old Republic video game. The video would have been presented in the form of a record entry made in the Jedi Archives by Jedi Master Gnost-Dural.

The remaining Timeline videos were discontinued in early 2011, as the content was growing less relevant to the game.[1]

The three Dawn of the Jedi comic book story arcs and the novel show the connective tissue and similarity between the ancient Je'Daii and the Jedi Order that followed. The Jedi Order, as it stood in the time of Odan-Urr, on the planet Ossus is the other side of the comparison. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Odan-Urr/Legends
    Yes, other Jedi Orders existed. The SW galaxy is enormous. You might also happen to find that historical Odan-Urr of Legends and of yore has a Canon wookiepedia page. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Odan-Urr Odan-Urr's canon wookiepedia page lists the Rise of Skywalker Visual Dictionary as a source. I don't own a copy of the visual dictionary so I cannot confirm if that is true.

From Legends, See Tales of the Jedi: Golden Age of the Sith and Tales of the Jedi: Fall of the Sith Empire. These are the 5th and 6th atory arcs from Tales of the Jedi as published in the 90s. They start right at 5,000 BBY. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Golden_Age_of_the_Sith and https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Tales_of_the_Jedi_—_The_Golden_Age_of_the_Sith_0:_Conquest_and_Unification

A timeline from a certain point of view? A timeline from a human point of view?

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    Sinrebirth likes this.