main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story Raise The Candles High - UDC IX (Stranger Things)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by amidalachick, Apr 27, 2020.

1. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    Title: Raise The Candles High
    Fandom: Stranger Things
    Genre: A little bit of everything probably
    Characters: Various
    Notes: Written for the Ultimate Drabble Challenge. I love drabbles so I'm so excited this challenge is back! Not that I've ever actually finished it but it's always fun anyway. :D

These will be a mix of characters and genres, whatever the muse feels like, and I'll indicate which characters/pairings/genres are involved in each set.

Title is taken from the song "Lay Down (Candles in the Rain)" by Melanie and The Edwin Hawkins Singers. I tried to find an 80s lyric to use but none of the ones I thought of resonated with me and this one just felt right. It's a beautiful song in any decade, anyway!

Thank you so much for reading, and hope you enjoy! :)

Index:
    Week 1 (El, Hopper)
    Week 2 (6. Nancy, Barb; 7. Max; 8. Hopper, El; 9. Nancy, Mike, Dustin, Will, Lucas; 10. Steve/Billy)
    Week 3 (11, 12. Steve; 13, 14. Billy; 15. Steve/Billy)
    Week 4 (16. Hopper/Joyce; 17. Hopper; 18. El, Hopper/Joyce; 19. Joyce, Max, Billy; 20. Hopper/Joyce, El, Will, Jonathan)
    Week 5 (21. Max/Lucas; 22. Robin, Steve; 23. Mike/El; 24. Nancy, Barb; 25. Steve/Billy)
    Week 6 (26. Billy, El; 27. Steve/Billy; 28. Marissa, Billy; 29. Max, El; 30. Max, Billy)
    Week 7 (31. Nancy/Jonathan; 32. Mike/El; 33. Hopper/Joyce, Mike/El; 34. Hopper/Joyce; 35. Max, Billy)
    Week 8 (36. Steve/Nancy; 37. Nancy/Jonathan; 38, 39, 40. Steve/Billy)
    Week 9 (41. Mike/El; 42. Mike/El, Hopper/Joyce; 43. Lucas, Erica; 44. Max, El; 45. Mike, Lucas, Dustin, Will, Max, El)
    Week 10 (46. Joyce, Dustin, Will, Max; 47. Dustin, Lucas, Mike, Will, Max, El; 48. Joyce; 49. Max, El, Steve/Billy, Dustin; 50. Steve/Billy)
    Week 11 (51. Steve/Billy; 52. Dustin, Mike, Will, Lucas; 53. Hopper, El; 54. Hopper/Joyce; 55. Max, Steve/Billy)
    Week 12 (Steve/Billy)
    Week 13 (61. Nancy, Dustin; 62. Hopper, El, Sara; 63. Max/Lucas; 64. Nancy, Steve; 65. Joyce, Will)
    Week 14 (66. Hopper/Joyce; 67. Max/Lucas, Mike/El, Dustin, Will; 68. El; 69. Max, Billy; 70. Steve/Billy)
    Week 15 (71. Max/Lucas; 72. Hopper, El; 73. Billy; 74. Steve/Billy; 75. Mike/El)
    Week 16 (76. Hopper/Joyce; 77. Mike/El; 78. Max/Lucas, Billy; 79. Nancy/Jonathan; 80. Steve/Billy)
    Week 17 (81. Billy, Max, El, Steve; 82. El, Hopper/Joyce; 83. Will, Jonathan; 84. Max/Lucas; 85. Joyce)
    Week 18 (Billy, El, Steve)
    Week 19 (91. Joyce, Will, Jonathan; 92. Hopper/Joyce; 93. Max/Lucas, El; 94. Steve, Billy, Robin; 95. Steve/Billy)
    Week 20 (96. Max/Lucas; 97. Hopper/Joyce; 98. Mike/El; 99. Nancy/Jonathan; 100. Steve/Billy)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  2. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    Week 1

Characters: El, Hopper
    Genre: Angst, introspection, and a bit of fluff (of course! :p)
    Timeframe: Season 2

1. Adamant

When he found her hiding out in the woods and took her in he became responsible for her.

She's been through so much in her short life. He wants to give her a home and a chance to be a kid - the chance that was stolen from Sara.

But to do that he needs to keep her safe. He pushes down the ache in his heart when she begs, pleads, to see Mike just once, and stands firm. These rules are for both of them, for their own good.

He's lost one little girl already. He won't lose her too.

2. Abide

Every night she ties the blindfold over her eyes and searches out Mike. He clutches the radio as if the tighter he holds it the closer he can get to her. The first time she tried to tell him she was there and realized he couldn't hear her, she cried herself to sleep.

She keeps asking Hopper when she can see him, begging for even one visit. She knows Mike can keep a secret. Hopper keeps telling her soon, that they can't be stupid. Time passes and she starts thinking about taking matters into her own hands.

She's not stupid.

3. Afield

She's breaking all the rules right now but she doesn't care.

Hopper lied and she's had enough.

She makes her way through the woods, not quite sure where she's going but knowing that she has to find the school. Mike will be there. She can finally see him and tell him she's alive. She knows he's missed her as much as she's missed him.

A little smile crosses her face as she imagines how happy he'll be to see her. Maybe he'll even kiss her again. Kissing was nice.

She walks a little faster. She can't wait to see him.

4. Aghast

When she reaches the school, all she can think is Mike.

He's here somewhere.

Mike.

This time he'll be able to hear her when she calls him.

Mike!

He'll be able to see her.

She sets off down one hallway, then another. She can almost feel him. She passes a doorway and something makes her stop, turn around, and suddenly she knows.

She sees him through the glass. There's a strange girl there with him, a girl she doesn't recognize. Mike and the girl look happy.

He doesn't hear her.

He doesn't see her.

He doesn't even know she's there.

5. Aforetime

He almost lost her.

Before they closed the gate things could have played out many different ways, any of those leading to El disappearing from his life.

He would give his life to protect her. But he understands that he has to let go a little bit too.

The new birth certificate helps. It's something tangible, a step on her path to a normal life.

The Snow Ball helps too. He's nervous, but he trusts she will be careful.

When she finds him after the dance and, beaming, throws herself into his arms, he knows that things will be okay.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    A wonderful mix of emotions, of El's determination -- Aghast followed by Aforetime - a sweet contrast. I also enjoyed Hopper's resolve to keep her safe.

amidalachick and Kahara like this.
  4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    These were lovely! I love Hopper taking El in, and while he's not a perfect father to her, he clearly loves her and wants the best for her. This is so apparent in adamant, he can't stand the idea of losing a child again.

Great job!!

5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I haven't seen the show but your characters are coming alive in this set

6. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I really enjoyed these, amidalachick! Abide was my favorite. El's desperation is evident.

7. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oooh, but I just loved these! You did such a good job of weaving a story all the way throughout all of the prompts. Hopper is trying so hard to be a good father for El, but it's hard, figuring out where to bend and where to stand firm! The last line of Adamant really struck me. I appreciated how much Aghast really sounded like El, too - all of the short, almost staccato sentences really felt like it was from her POV, and her desperation was just so heartbreaking!

But Aforetime was my favourite - they're figuring it out, aren't they? Together! [face_love]

This was an awesome opening set, and I can't wait for more! :D =D=

8. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Thank you always for reading and your sweet comments! [face_love]

@mavjade I love Hopper and El's father-daughter dynamic too, and I completely agree with your comment that he's not perfect but he loves her and wants what's best for her. Thank you for reading! :)

@earlybird-obi-wan Your comment put a big smile on my face! I love all of these characters and it means a lot to me that you feel they're alive even without watching the show. That said, I tend to write the softer, fluffier side of things so if you watched the show and then came back and read these you'd probably wonder "Who are these people?" :p Anyway, thank you so much! [:D]

@brodiew Thank you so much for reading! :) My heart broke for El and her longing for Mike the first time I watched Season 2, and my mind immediately went to that when I saw these prompts.

@Mira_Jade Thank you so much! [:D] It's always a struggle to write characters who sound like themselves and not just like me, so I'm so glad to hear that you think Aghast really sounded like El. And yes, Hopper and El are definitely figuring things out together. They'll get there eventually. [face_love]

To everyone who's read this, whether you've liked or commented or just read, thank you so much! It means a lot. Thank you again, and I hope you enjoy this next set! [face_love]

Week 2

Characters: 6. Nancy, Barb; 7. Max; 8. Hopper, El; 9. Nancy, Mike, Dustin, Will, Lucas; 10. Steve/Billy
    Genre: Shameless self-indulgent FLUFF! Everybody lives happily ever after here [face_batting]
    Timeframe: Various, from pre-Season 1 to post-Season 3 (I'm not going to figure out the actual dates but if anyone cares, I picture Barb and Nancy being around 10 or 11 years old, Max being about 7 or 8, drabble #8 between Seasons 2 and 3, #9 ambiguous but maybe a year or two before Season 1, and #10 about a year after Season 3)
    Notes: I've never watched Miami Vice so I don't know what the plotlines are actually like, but it's canon that Hopper and El watch it, and I googled it and there's an episode called Smuggler's Blues so I went with that. :p

Also, not gonna lie, "Steal" was the first prompt in this set that I had an idea for and I thought it would be my favorite to write. But "Pirate" turned out to be my favorite instead. :D Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy!

6. Raid

Barb stood by the bedroom door, listening for Mrs. Wheeler, while Nancy rummaged through her parents' closet in search of a certain pair of high heels that she wanted to try on.

"I got them!" Nancy held up the bright red shoes.

The girls scurried back to Nancy's room. Nancy stepped into the heels and immediately wobbled.

"How do people walk in those?" Barb asked.

"It can't be that hard," Nancy said.

She took a step and stumbled against Barb.

"Careful," Barb said, steadying her.

Nancy bit her lip, took another short, wobbly step, and smiled triumphantly at her friend.

7. Pirate

"She has to walk the plank!"

"No way!" Max snapped at the boys while the other kids clustered around them on the playground watched. "You walk the stupid plank. I want to be the pirate!"

"You can't be the pirate," one boy said.

"Why?" Max crossed her arms.

"Because," the other boy said. "You're a girl, so you have to walk the plank and get rescued. Duh!"

"That's stupid!" Max said. Spotting a stick at the edge of the playground she ran to grab it. Glaring at the boys, she said, "I'm the pirate. Are you guys playing or what?"

8. Smuggle

Hopper was just putting the finishing touches on the popcorn when El shouted, "It's starting!"

"Okay!" he called back.

He grabbed a box of cookies off the shelf to go with the popcorn, then carried everything out to where El was curled up on the couch, already staring raptly at the TV. It was the same ritual they repeated every Friday night at ten when Miami Vice came on.

Both of them enjoyed the show, with its dramatic storylines about smugglers and crime and heroics, and both of them enjoyed the snacks, but the best part was watching it together.

9. Maraud

Usually Nancy didn't mind too much when her little brother had his friends over. Sometimes if they needed an extra person for their campaigns she'd even sit in and help them.

But they were loud.

Mike, Dustin, Will, and Lucas barged into the backyard where she was reading in the sun, babbling at the top of their lungs about something. She wasn't quite sure what because they were all talking over each other.

She sighed and got up from her lounge chair. There was no use trying to enjoy a quiet summer afternoon when Mike and his friends were around.

10. Steal

It was quiet in Hawkins tonight.

No monsters roamed the woods. Nobody was around to stare or ask questions.

After his shift at the video store Steve met up with Billy and they drove around for a while, listening to music and sharing the little details of their days. The night was warm and still so they'd ended up at the quarry, laying back on the blanket Steve kept tucked in his trunk for these occasions.

In the comfortable silence they dreamed about a future neither one of them had ever thought they'd have and stole kisses under the stars.

Kahara and brodiew like this.
  9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    6-- what a fun time with heels! [face_mischief]
    7-- LOL I can so picture Max doing that! =D=
    8-- lovely and yes, the best part is sharing the snacks and the show together.
    9-- I can sympathize with her frustration when she's trying to read in peace and quiet and those LOUD guys come barging out into the yard! :p

Kahara and amidalachick like this.
  10. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Love the fun they are having and the comfortable silence in the last one

11. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I really enjoyed these, amidalachick. Raid and Smuggle were my favorites. I've had drabbles with Hopper and El watching tv as well. Good fun! Also, it's nice to see Barb again.

12. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha This set was fun to write, even though a couple of the prompts ("Pirate" and "Smuggle") had me scratching my head at first! [face_laugh] I'm glad you enjoyed those, and thank you always for reading. [:D]

@earlybird-obi-wan Thank you so much! This was a really fun set to write. :D

@brodiew "Smuggle" was a tough one to figure out, and for "Raid" I was initially going to go with something like "raiding the cookie jar" but then the idea of Barb and Nancy playing dress-up popped into my head and I had to do that instead. And there can never be too many Hopper-and-El-TV-watching moments! :D I'm so glad you enjoyed those, and thank you so much for reading!

Thank you again to everyone who's read, liked, and/or commented! You are all awesome and I appreciate it so much. [:D][face_love]

Week 3

Characters: #11, #12. Steve; #13, #14. Billy; #15. Steve/Billy
    Genre: Angst, introspection, and say it with me, FLUFF! [face_love][face_laugh]
    Timeframe: Pre-Season 1 to post-Season 3 (but a happy post-season 3)
    Notes: So I'm not entirely happy with this set but I know I won't have a lot of time between now and Friday and I don't want to fall behind so early in the challenge. :p

These ones were a bit tricky to write. I had a kernel of an idea for "Karma" but no clue what to do with the rest. Then the ideas for "Professor" and "School" popped into my head at work yesterday, and the others fell into place. The last one is simply because I couldn't end this set on a depressing note and it's been another long week and I just really needed some soft fluff and these two deserve some happiness (this is also the universe where Hopper and Joyce get to be together so that El gets her family too and everyone is happy damn it!).

If you choose to read, thank you so much and I hope you enjoy! :)

11. Professor

With every bad report card his mom patted his cheek and told him to study harder before going off to get ready for another social engagement.

His dad lectured him about hard work and success, repeating what business school professors and managers had taught him over the years. He'd worked hard, climbed to the top, and that was why Steve lived where he lived and had all the things he had. He expected Steve to be grateful, to follow in his footsteps and do the Harrington name proud.

Steve tried, he really did, but nobody noticed. Eventually he stopped trying.

12. School

He didn't bother telling his parents about the latest rejection letter.

He skimmed over the words, the same as all the others, politely informing him that he wasn't good enough for their school.

There was nothing he wanted to study anyway. He was a good athlete, but not that good. He didn't have any special skills or talents. He wasn't interested in math or science or English or history or anything, really.

He thought of Nancy. Even drunk and upset she'd been right. She'd always been smarter than him.

He ripped up the letter and tossed it in the trash.

13. Gifted

He watches, envious.

Harrington had had everything and lost it and he didn't even seem to care.

He wonders what it would be like to not care, to not worry about what people thought or said, to not have to prove something to the world every single day.

He wonders what would have happened if he'd talked to Harrington instead of beating him.

He tells himself he never had a chance to begin with.

He knows he ruined any chance he ever might have had.

He tries not to think of spring, when Harrington will graduate, and he keeps watching.

14. Karma

He didn't want to hurt Heather or the others. But the thing was too powerful. He didn't have a choice.

In moments of awareness he knows he did have a choice before. He always chose fighting, taunting, and pain over love and kindness. He regrets not being nicer to Max, not telling her how much she meant to him.

He wishes he'd been brave enough to tell Steve.

But the moments get farther apart and the shadow winds itself deeper into his mind and he's losing the fight.

He'll die alone, far from home.

He supposes it's what he deserves.

15. Gambit

It's cold outside.

Steve's glad they don't have to leave the house today. They already stocked up on snacks for when Robin and the kids come over later.

He traces one of the scars on Billy's chest and remembers the first time Billy told him he loved him, after he got out of the hospital, after they'd finally started to get to know each other. He hadn't even been surprised. He'd instinctively reached for Billy's hand and said I love you too and it felt right.

Now, in their warm bed, he whispers the words again and kisses Billy's shoulder.

Kahara and earlybird-obi-wan like this.
  13. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Intense and great insight in Steve's mind

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Very realistic in Professor and School and how Gifted and Karma feel like it correlates [face_thinking]

15. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    These continue to be AWESOME! :D

First off, it was great to see Barb back! Then I love how much this says about their relationship even in a small, relatively mundane slice-of-life moment! They're just there for each other, you know, until that one time Nancy wasn't. :(

Also: heels are the worst, I agree! [face_laugh] :oops:

You get 'em Max!! This drabble was my absolute favourite so far! Five stars perfect! :D =D=

HOPPER AND EL FAMILY BONDING AT IT'S BEST!!!! [face_love] [face_love]

&

Oh. =((

There are times when Steve really, really rubbed me the wrong way at first - but it's more understanding looking at his circumstances now. Watching him grow as a character has been so satisfying onscreen, and I just adore him! It was just as satisfying to glimpse through your drabbles. And Billy, too, I really found myself feeling for! Watching them persevere through so much unhappiness and negativity here was so refreshing and beautiful! Perfect! I do love me some happy fix-it fic!!! [face_love]

Thanks for sharing these wonderful snippets with us! I can't wait to see where your muse takes you next. :D [face_dancing] =D=

16. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    @earlybird-obi-wan Thank you so much! [:D]

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Thank you so much, and thank you always for reading! [:D]

@Mira_Jade Oh my gosh, thank you so much for such sweet and thorough comments! [face_love]

I'm glad you liked Hopper and El's bonding-over-TV moment, and I couldn't resist the idea of Barb and Nancy playing dress-up. I was so happy to be able to write them in a happy moment, and I'm so glad you enjoyed it too! And yes, heels are absolutely the worst. I love the way they look but walking in them is just a Bad Idea. :p

Thank you! You have no idea how much this made me smile! I literally had no clue at all what to do with the prompt, nothing was coming to me, and then the image of Max declaring that she's the pirate popped into my head and that was it. [face_laugh] I don't think most things I write are very good, but not gonna lie, I'm proud of this drabble and I think it'll end up being one of my favorites out of this entire challenge. :D

And this. It means so much to me that you said that. I could ramble for HOURS but to keep this somewhat short and to the point, that sums up why I came to love these two. I disliked Billy, and Max too, and was indifferent to Steve before Season 3 but by the end of it I liked Steve and his growth as a character over the series, as you mentioned, and my heart broke for Billy and Max and El. I cried for literally over a week the first time I watched it (and random times after when I'd hear a song or something that made me think of certain characters or scenes) and then started diving into all the fix-it fics I could find. They all deserve all the love and happiness, and I'm going to continue doing my part to make it so! :p

Thank you again, for reading and for your wonderful review. It really means a lot. [:D]

Thank you again to everyone who's read, liked, commented, or all of the above! And thank you to our lovely mods for all these awesome prompts! This has always been one of my favorite challenges. Thank you all so much! [face_love][:D]

17. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    Week 4

Characters: #16. Hopper/Joyce; #17. Hopper; #18. El, Hopper/Joyce; #19. Joyce, Max, Billy; #20. Hopper/Joyce, El, Will, Jonathan
    Genre: Fluff. All the soft fluffy fluff. [face_love]
    Notes: Me and canon totally 100% parted ways for this week's set. I had about three or four ideas for the prompts but I settled on these. "Golden" turned out to be the trickiest one - I had a visual in my head and one line, but I was stuck on the rest. So that's why Joyce just gets a random visit from some familiar customers. :p My headcanon is that she already knows Max, obviously, but she would have gotten to know Billy a bit after Starcourt, and Max knows Joyce is safe to talk to so she can tease her brother in front of her. I also picture her just being really bratty and teasing him about it all. Day. Long. But she's actually really happy for him too because after Starcourt their relationship is a lot better and they are basically real siblings now. [face_love] I'll stop now. On to the actual drabbles! [face_laugh]

16. Misty

She's awake, although it's not time to get up yet.

She eases herself out from under Hopper's arm and lifts the curtain. It had rained last night and when she looks out, she sees it's still wet, misty and drizzly.

But it's just rain.

Will is safe, down the hall in his room. Jonathan's on a date with Nancy. El is sleeping over at Max's. Hop will pick her up later this morning.

For now he's still sound asleep, in her bed where they spent the night.

She pads back to bed and snuggles close to him under the covers.

17. Lonely

Before he goes in to work he has to pick up El from Max's house, then drop her off at Mike's.

Sometimes it's a logistical nightmare keeping track of the kids. But he'd rather drive El all over Indiana all day long than go back to the days when she was cooped up in the cabin and hidden away from the world. He doesn't want her to be that sad and lonely ever again.

Besides, it won't be long before they're all old enough to drive, and that's a line of thought he really doesn't want to pursue right now.

18. Fiery

El greets him with a hug when she climbs into the truck.

"Joyce wants us to come for dinner tonight," he says. "That okay with you?"

El grins. "Yes!"

"Okay," Hop says, and grins back.

He remembers the first time he and Joyce went on a real date, and El's smile when she innocently asked next time she saw the two of them together, "Girlfriend?"

He'd sputtered and scowled while El and Joyce laughed.

"I think we're a little old for that," he'd grumbled.

"Not that old," El had said.

"She's right, Hop," Joyce had said, and kissed his cheek.

19. Golden

Joyce is debating stopping on the way home to rent a movie when she sees Max and Billy come into the store.

At the register she asks how they are. Max informs her that Billy has a date, and he exclaims shut it, Maxine and looks nervous.

Joyce just smiles.

"That's wonderful," she says. "Take care, you two."

"Thanks," Billy mumbles, with a tiny smile. Max waves and calls, "Bye, Mrs. Byers!"

Joyce waves back. The clouds cleared up earlier and she tilts her face towards the warmth of the sun streaming through the windows, thinking about her own date.

20. Undying

Jonathan is home when she gets in. She can hear him listening to music in his room.

She hums along tunelessly as she starts dinner. Hopper arrives not long after with Will and El. The kitchen is filled with hellos and hugs and kisses, everyone talking over each other and bumping elbows.

She finally sends Will and El off to play until everything is ready, and when she turns away from the fridge, she sees Hopper watching her with the tenderest little smile she's ever seen on him.

It makes her smile too.

Together they prepare dinner for their family.

Kahara and Mira_Jade like this.
  18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    SQUEE! SQUEE!

She hums along tunelessly as she starts dinner. Hopper arrives not long after with Will and El. The kitchen is filled with hellos and hugs and kisses, everyone talking over each other and bumping elbows.

She finally sends Will and El off to play until everything is ready, and when she turns away from the fridge, she sees Hopper watching her with the tenderest little smile she's ever seen on him.

It makes her smile too.

Together they prepare dinner for their family.

THIS! Scrumptious. This is an undisputed factoid. Fanfiction writers write better stuff than the actual professional things. It's cheerier and life-affirming and just BETTER for the characters and the audience.

=D=
    :) [face_sigh]

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    amidalachick likes this.
  19. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Week II - I love all of these so much!
    Pirate - Yessss... go Max! Be the pirate if you want, make one of the boys get rescued!
    Smuggle - [face_love] This just made me so warm and happy.

Week III- Oh, my heart
    School - :_| I can just feel his upset but trying not to be and it breaks my heart. I just want to give him a hug!
    Gifted- also heartbreaking in a completely different way. I just want to yell at him "you didn't ruin you chance!!"

Week IV- I second Nyota's SQUEE!
    Firey- hahah... you can't hind anything from Max! But it's just so cute!
    Undying- Dawww... I love this family, it makes me so happy. :D

20. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    lovely being together and enjoying sweet moments

21. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Oh my gosh, you have no idea how much that means to me!

I honestly teared up reading your entire comment, because not only do I appreciate your kind words, I also agree with this completely and you put it so perfectly. For me fanfic is a fun hobby but it's also a way to bring something beautiful and happy and joyous into a world that's often not. I can't count how many times fanfic or fan art has made me smile or brightened my day when real life is at its worst, or made me feel better when canon material leaves me heartbroken. And if something I've written does that for someone else, it means A LOT to me.

Thank you so much, again, for your lovely comments and thank you always for reading. [:D][face_love]

@mavjade Thank you so much! I'm so glad you liked "Pirate" in Week 2, I'm honestly quite proud of that one and I love the visual of Max telling the boys what's what! :D

Week 3 was painful to write, but I'm so glad the emotions came across and made you feel for them! And it all turned out okay in the end, because who needs canon anyway? :p

And so glad Week 4 made you squee! Cute and happy is exactly what I was going for with this set. :D Thanks again for reading!

@earlybird-obi-wan Thank you so much for reading and for your sweet comments! [:D]

Thank you again to all readers, likers, commenters, and lurkers if you're out there! [face_love]

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  22. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    Week 5

Characters: #21. Max/Lucas; #22. Robin, Steve; #23. Mike/El; #24. Nancy, Barb; #25. Steve/Billy
    Genre: ALL YOUR FLUFF ARE BELONG TO ME!!
    Notes: This set is brought to you by iced cappuccinos and Aqua! I feel like I should apologize (although as a Canadian that's kind of my default setting :p) but I'm not even ashamed. [face_laugh] I was kind of stuck on a few of the prompts, then I was drinking an iced cappuccino (with MASSIVE amounts of sugar) and listening to Dr. Jones by Aqua and, well, this is the result. Just some stupid shameless fluff with some of my favorite ships, friendships, and characters. Canon need not apply. :p

Also a note on the timelines: The kids are grown-up here. I envision Max/Lucas in their late twenties and married and Mike/El maybe in college but living together. So we'll say these take place from 1985/1986 (#22) to mid/late 1990s (#21), with the rest somewhere in between.

I'm gonna try and get "Dr. Jones" unstuck from my head now. [face_laugh]

21. Temple

Lucas is surprised to find Max sitting on the bed when he comes home from work. Usually she gets in later than him.

"Hi," he says. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah, fine," Max says.

She has an odd expression on her face, but she doesn't seem angry or upset.

He sits down next to her. "Max? What's going on?"

"I'm pregnant," Max says.

"Pregnant?" he repeats. "Like, a baby?"

"Uh, yeah," Max says sarcastically. "That's what being pregnant means."

Lucas pulls her close, kisses her temple, her cheek, her lips. Max wraps her arms around him, both of them laughing with joy.

22. Sanctuary

Robin was good at keeping secrets.

She had never imagined that Steve 'The Hair' Harrington would be the person she'd share her biggest secrets with. But she'd never imagined a lot of things, back in high school.

Sometimes in a tiny corner of her mind, she still expected Steve to fully realize what her confession had meant and reject her.

But every time he pointed out a cute girl, encouraged her, told her there was more to life than Hawkins, she felt a little better, a little safer.

And he shared his own secrets, and they kept each other safe.

23. Shrine

Mike studied the empty fort in front of him.

Maybe it was a bad idea.

He heard a key in the door. It was too late to tear it down.

"Hi, Mike," El said after they'd kissed.

"Hi, El," he said. "I, uh, had an idea. It's stupid, but, well..."

He waved his hand at the blanket fort, like the one she'd slept in so long ago. The one he'd kept as a shrine when he didn't know if he'd ever see her again.

"Not stupid," she said.

They crawled into the fort and let the blanket drop over them.

24. Monastery

Barb insisted she didn't want anything big for her twenty-first birthday, but Nancy insisted they had to celebrate somehow. After dinner at one of their favorite places they ended up at a bar. The Monastery was perfect for what they wanted, not too fancy but not a dive.

They ordered sweet, fruity cocktails and when the bartender slid them across the counter, they both lifted their glasses.

"To adulthood," Nancy said. "To us!"

"To us!" Barb echoed.

They clinked glasses, drank, and smiled at each other. Nancy set the glass down and hugged her friend.

"Happy birthday, Barb," she said.

25. Pilgrimage

He'd never wanted to leave California.

He didn't have a real plan to get back there, just a vague idea about taking the Camaro and getting out of Hawkins as soon as he finished high school and had some money saved.

It took a lot longer than he'd expected.

He hadn't expected Steve to come along either.

This first trip was just a vacation and in a few days they'd be back in Indiana. But for now, with the sand under his toes and Steve's hand in his as they watched the sun set, he felt like he was home.

Kahara and Mira_Jade like this.
  23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    21. Temple -- [face_laugh] "You mean like a baby?" Love that reaction. [face_mischief]

23. Shrine ... aww. [face_love]

24. Monastery -- Enjoyed this gal-pal moment. :)

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    amidalachick likes this.
  24. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh my goodness, but I blinked and a week passed by! I'm sorry for missing a set, but I'll fix that now. [face_love]

But, first!

THIS! I'm in complete agreement; that mirrors my feelings exactly. And that's what we have happy fluffy fix-it fic for! Canon, what canon? :p [face_mischief]

AND GOOD RIDDANCE! :D [face_dancing] [face_love]

I loved this entire scene. Of course Joyce's first instinct is to be a worried mama bear. But all the kids are alright and it's okay for her to curl up and bask in this happiness for herself too. [face_love]

I smiled and wanted to laugh for this - very understandable bit - of parenting logistics at first before the feelings came in and hit hard. Hopper may not always get it right, but he loves El so much and just wants her to be safe and happy. I will never be over this perfect daddy/daughter duo. [face_love]

Fair! And this brought the smiles back full circle! [face_laugh] [face_love]

[face_rofl] Innocently, indeed! El knows what's what here! [face_mischief] [face_whistling]

NOT TOO OLD INDEED! My face hurt from smiling at this one.

Sibling antics for the win! Especially with how far they've come. [face_love]

This. Entire. Drabble. [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

[face_rofl]

I love how they are still just thirteen year old dorks here still! [face_love] And, in all complete squee worthy seriousness: a baby!!!! [face_love]

This is such a great glimpse of Steve and Robin's friendship. I love their teasing and bantering but this is the life long stuff. [face_love]

Not stupid at all!!! PERFECT! [face_love]

Oh what a great way to incorporate the prompt! Canon what canon, all around!

These remain so awesome, again! I can't wait to see what you have to share with us next!

=D=

25. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    sweet with temple and sanctuary, fun with shrine and monastery and great memories with pilgrimage