main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT 1997 Special Edition nostalgia

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by darklordoftech, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Re-watching the OT now has really gotten me into the nostalgic mood for the Special Editions despite the hate for them. I technically was introduced to Star Wars through the original cuts but I grew up with the SE practically all my life. Which is why I'm not that bothered by most of the changes, with a few exceptions like Vader's infamous added No line. Most of the changes I'm indifferent to but I did enjoy stuff like revealing more of Cloud City and Mos Eisley, further expanding on the world building of Star Wars IMO.

The box art for the SE was so ingrained in my conciseness that for awhile I thought they might have been the original theatrical posters, back when I was a kid. Still great posters all these years IMO.

[​IMG]

Really sad that I never did see the OT in theaters, whether that be the original cuts or SE, what a time that must have been.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  2. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Drew Struzan! I think the Ep IV is the best though...its magical. Empire is a bit to focused on the baddies. They still look amazing though.

Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  3. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    They work best as one single poster made up of three parts.

Chancellor Yoda and KyleKartan like this.
  4. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Very nice set of posters. I remember a mini version being in my cereal box! Had to have multiples of them!
    I'm soooooo glad I partook on a small trip to Indianapolis last year (late Auguest '19) as my son was ready for his first viewing of Return of the Jedi. I wanted it to be on the big screen. Didn't care that it would be the SE. However, to my surprise the trip, which takes time, money and a small screen 16x9, turned out to be the best decision ever. After searching for a nearby theater for months, this experience proved valuable. They had a few props, sold SW decorated drinks and snacks, had some 501st members, and my son was blown away. Then the theater manager announced they would be showing the OOT for first time as the window was closing to do so. We missed ANH the day before but got there for a two night showing of ESB and ROTJ! My son loves it and it was all ROTJ the rest of the year (until the ST trilogy he viewed early this year and he's now on TPM).
    The mid '90s were such a buildup for SW that will never be seen again. The wait, the books, the toys, the VHS releases, the wait, the SOTE, the SE's in theater, the SE on vhs, then the prequels...wow!

Jediking97 and Chancellor Yoda like this.
  5. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I prefer watching the Special Editions to the original versions from 1977-83.

6. bb8isno1

bb8isno1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 29, 2020
    It was great to see the original trilogy back on at the cinema after so long I went 3 times each per film, I was looking fwd to the new scenes and special effects which I liked at the time and still like for the most part now

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  7. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    Pepsi Star Wars commerical/promo (1997):

8. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Seeing ANH at the cinema in one hour!

9. whostheBossk

Apr 16, 2002
    How was It? I just saw TESB last week. Wore my AT-AT shirt and SW printed mask and brought along my TESB novel.
    I'll never forget when I went to see TESB in '97, I brought along our dorm friend from India, his name was Ahzur I believe, and when Yoda showed up on the big screen, he yelled "Yoda!!!!" So loud. Hilarious.

Jediking97 and christophero30 like this.
  10. Jedi_Prophet77

Jedi_Prophet77 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2017
    I was thrilled to see the special editions. Shoot, I was happy (and utterly shocked) to see the trailer for the special editions. Will never forget seeing TESB with a girl who had never seen any of the films. She stood up at the key moment ('I am your father'), stood up and shouted, 'He's lying!' Girl had no filter.

11. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    The SE's weren't all bad and never got any real hate until it became apparent that Lucas was making them THE EDITIONS. I think the vhs release in 2000 was the first time they no longer bore the title Special Edition. That made everyone's ears prick up.

12. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    [face_laugh]

CampOfSorgan and whostheBossk like this.
  13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wish they released the OT and TPM on DVD in 2000 so that you don’t need VHS to watch the ROTJ ending with the new music but with Shaw as Anakin.

14. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I wished I could have seen all three Special Edition films in theaters back in 1997. I only went to see ANH. But it was great seeing them on home video. I miss my 2011 Blu-Ray set. It's at my parents' house in Texas, as I couldn't take all my DVDs with with me to Oregon when I moved. I had to get the trilogy on DVD at Walmart.

Funny thing is that there are some people who wished we could have made more changes. There are a couple of changes I don't like as an adult. Overall, TESB's changes are the best.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    whostheBossk likes this.
  15. Scoffed-Gherkin

Scoffed-Gherkin Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 11, 2021
    I will admit it was the 1st time I ever saw the original trilogy. I actually got to experience it on the big screen when I was 5 years old. It was awesome. (Some of the changes truly do suck, but it was great being able to see it in a theater for the 1st time.)

Sarge likes this.
  16. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    25 years ago today. Wow.

17. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    Oh, yes they were. All bad. Every single frame that was added or altered.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
    CampOfSorgan likes this.
  18. Captain Ric

Captain Ric Jedi Knight

Apr 18, 2015
    I got back into Star Wars around '94/'95 after getting Steve Sansweet's Tomart Star Wars Collectors book. From then I started getting the Insider and reading about all that was planned and upcoming and being given glimpses of new shots etc in that magazine was really was exciting. Then shortly before the SE releases getting all the merchandise and food and drink tie-ins really brought home the fact that Star Wars was back. After it all calmed down a bit we then had a two year build up to a certain Episode I.

19. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Ahhh, 1997 nostalgia [face_love]

20. TofuJedi

TofuJedi Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 30, 2020
    I have the Special Edition New Hope poster in my basement, because, to me, that’s what Star Wars looks like.

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    Han stepping on Jabba (Jabba looks really bad in that scene) & the dinosaur that blocks the scene as Obi Wan & Luke pull up to the Mos Eisley Stormtrooper patrol are the only things that I’m really not fond of.

22. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  23. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I was just becoming a SW fan during high school, when the OT special editions were released in theaters. In fact, that theater release in the late 90's was the first time I actually saw ESB all the way thru-let alone in theaters! So the SE's are really my preference, simply cos THOSE are the versions I more or less "started with."

I will admit I thought the CG Jabba looked silly in that version of ANH but I enjoyed everything else. I was very happy tho when I saw the CG of Jabba was redone/improved with the 2004 blu-rays.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
  24. whostheBossk

Apr 16, 2002
    Yes that Jabba honestly is incredibly better. I read somewhere that when they did the Jabba in '97, ILM acted all proud and gloated how great they did lol. I do like that Jabba figure from SE POTF Hasbro, ah takes me back. Ronto and Jawa. I really like the CGI improvements and some of the deleted scenes added.

25. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Pretty sure the 97 special editions were the first version I ever saw of Star Wars around 1999. At the very least, I know ESB and ROTJ were special editions.
    There are some things I like in the 97 Special Editions that weren't changed yet like Vader's eyebrows, Sebastian Shaw as Anakin's Ghost, the original Emperor hologram, Jason Wingreen voicing Boba, and so on.

Sarge and whostheBossk like this.