main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT C-3P0’s reaction to Anakin becoming Vader

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Wookiee, May 10, 2020.

1. Darth Wookiee

Darth Wookiee Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    Did he see Anakin choking Padme? If he did, are there any canon or legends material that cover his thoughts on Anakin’s betrayal before his memory wipe?

2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    "Curse the Maker!"

3. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I don't think C-3PO ever left the ship. And if I'm not mistaken, he was in the cockpit when they landed. Based on the orientation of the ship to the fight, if he is in the cockpit, he's wouldn't have witnessed Padme being choked. And even if he did, his memory was wiped shortly after, so he wouldn't have remembered it.

4. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Basically another case of Threepio the Human Understander having absolutely no clue about the galaxy-level drama going on with his human friends mere steps away from him. Meanwhile Artoo the Mechanic spends the entire movie beeping about how something's really wrong with Anakin, but Threepio's just like, "Well, he is under a lot of stress."

I love the irony that the human-like droid has no understanding of humans yet won't ever shut up about his expertise, while the computer-like droid has a superior understanding of humans but no one can speak his computer language except the human-like droid, who can still never understand what he's talking about.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  5. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Doesn't Luke understand R2's beeps?

6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It does make one wonder, though, the hell did 3PO think happened? He and R2 had to get Padme on the ship after the duel started. He's the one who tells Obi-Wan she's on board and says they should leave, and there's no way he didn't know Anakin was there. I think it's safe enough to infer that R2 told him at the very least something was up regarding Anakin

Evidently not in ANH, since he needs 3PO to translate R2's beeps for him. He's probably learned it by TESB, though, given how much time he's spent with him

cwustudent likes this.
  7. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    No, he has a readout on his X-wing control panel that translates.

Lord-Skywalker likes this.
  8. lord_sidious_

lord_sidious_ Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 19, 2019
    Oh did he not see it? I assumed he would have seen it through the glass and then told R2 about it afterwards.
    So did R2 ever find out that Anakin choked Padme?

9. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    how would R2 have seen it either? Didn't Anakin tell him to stay with his ship? The only thing I can think of is if 3PO went and got him while Anakin and Obi Wan were off dueling, or if R2 found his way to the ship after that...but then he'd likely see Padme laying there, although he wouldn't know what happened.

Not to mention, he often had to have 3PO translate to him in ANH. Although, in ESB (at least it seemed like it on Dagobah) and especially TLJ Luke WAS able to understand him. I suppose in the 3 years since ANH, (or at least the 33 since then up to TLJ) that's plenty of time for him to learn it. Luke WAS with R2 for over two decades after ROTJ-maybe then if nothing else.

10. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    Anakin and Padme are at the back of the ship, almost underneath it. There's no way for 3PO to have seen it, unless he left the cockpit and was at the top of the ramp, but there is nothing to indicate that is the case. We don't see R2 come and help get Padme on the ship either, so I don't know if R2 saw it happen or not.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  11. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    I don't know if R2 saw or not. Unless, and this is purely speculation, with Anakin's ship being on an elevated platform next to where Padme lands, R2 staying with the ship doesn't necessarily mean he got back in the droid socket, and could have heard the commotion,and moved to the edge to see what happened. R2 would have then gone to 3PO and told him to help get her back on board her ship.

Sorry for the double post.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    DARTH_BELO likes this.
  12. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm inclined to believe R2 didn't see him Choke her. I suppose it's also possible-although it's a stretch-R2 didn't know Anakin became Darth Vader either, now that I think about it. The last time R2 sees him, he suspects something's wrong but presumably doesn't witness all the things Vader did on Mustafar-from killing the Separatist leaders all the way thru to his being defeated by Obi-Wan. This would imply that R2 wouldn't have made the connection that the Sith in the mechanical suit is his old master.

Unless I am missing something, perhaps referring to that detail in Rebels or something...?

EDIT: [face_laugh] We were quoting eachother at the same time!

13. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    R2 leaves with Obi-Wan without issue, so maybe he did witness it, and was like screw this guy, I'm out of here. I suppose if R2 didn't witness it, would he have a reason to make his way to the ship to help get Padme on board? As far as knowing Anakin is Vader, he'd probably be able to sense something was different, but R2 wouldn't know. R2 doesn't witness any of the events between Anakin turning to being burned on Mustafar, so he wouldn't know that Anakin is the Sith in the menacing mechanical suit.

I don't recall there being anything referenced in Rebels, or other media, concerning R2 having intimate knowledge of Anakin's turn.

Great minds think alike ;) [face_laugh]

Darth Wookiee and DARTH_BELO like this.
  14. lord_sidious_

lord_sidious_ Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 19, 2019
    Hmm, R2 doesn't seem to be anywhere in the vicinity when Padme's ship lands on Mustafar. Though it's possible that R2 saw the shuttle in the sky, headed over there to meet her (while Anakin and Padme's conversation was going on), and then arrived in time to witness the force choke from a distance.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

And yes Darth Chuck Norris is correct, 3PO was facing away from Anakin and Padme. He could see front, right, and left, just not their direction. Though... he might hear bits of their conversation? Probably not very likely, as the background noise of the spewing lava was probably quite loud.
    [​IMG]

15. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    In the first two pictures, on the elevated platform, you'll see a little white spot. That is R2. I had to watch the Anakin arrives Mustafar scene to verify that is where Anakin lands, and since R2 stays with the ship, the little white spots have to be R2.

16. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    You are...absolutly right! Great insights.

Anakin arriving:

Padme arriving:

Anakins Ship parked in the other corner but its there. R2 probably reparked it :).

Great new insights. R2 must have heard and seen all of it!

17. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    @Darth Chuck Norris Holy crap. I had no idea

So here's my idea of how the layout must've been. I think this should be right.

[​IMG]

18. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    3PO not reading Sith in TROS is a direct correlation to Anakin choking Padme. :)

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    It has nothing to do with that, AFAIK, it's just something the Republic Senate outlawed.

cwustudent likes this.
  20. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    See smiley face :)

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Iron_lord likes this.
  21. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Fine, then. :)

22. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    R2 is on the platform above Anakin and Padme, right behind Anakin in the pic. But 3PO should be right :)

23. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Ah, I forgot about the platform above them. :p Makes sense — Anakin’s ship is nowhere to be found because it’s still up there. R2 probably had spent the whole fight making his way down to Padmé.

cwustudent likes this.
  24. Paleof

Paleof Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 13, 2019
    Huh, I never noticed that. I had always thought R2 didnt know Anakin was Vader.

25. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    what the world needs now is a novel from R2's perspective

CampOfSorgan likes this.