main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Finn "jokes"

Discussion in 'Communications' started by FromDromundKaasWithLove, May 8, 2020.

1. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    Finn, like Rey, Poe and Kylo are likable insofar as the actors portraying these characters are likable. The writing is half baked, but the people in these roles really shine. Like the handling of the OT3 in the ST, the handling of ST3 was completely mismanaged and ill-conceived. The amount of talent in this cast is staggering.

Having said that... Finn yells way more than any other Star Wars character to date. It's comical. I think both sides have an argument. While I suspect Mr. Boyega has likely grown tired of the observation, I suspect he also understands the reaction.

Welcome to modern discourse. Each of us has had our limits tested during online conversations. I won't speak for everyone, but I try to look at these scenarios as opportunities. I'm not always successful in tempering my response, but ultimately, I only control myself. There are times when the individual(s) you find yourself in opposition to is(are) not arguing in good faith. That sucks, but we have to trust that third parties viewing such a discussion online will see that lack of good faith and find the civil, good faith argument more credible.

Silencing speech you don't agree with is never the correct course of action. So long as the MEMEs in question do not violate the rules as there were before the release of TROS, I think they should be allowed to persist, even if they are annoying.

I disagree. Either this is/was always wrong, regardless of gender or it is/was never wrong regardless of gender. Pick one. You don't get to have it both ways and also maintain credibility.

And this is as it should be. IMO, "IMO" is over used. I said it, therefore it is my opinion. I don't think this needs to be explicitly stated every time we take a position.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    Emperor Ferus and Dandelo like this.
  2. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I agree

imo

eko32eko7 likes this.
  3. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I never said it was both. I said it was valid to reverse the dynamic.

Why did that trigger you so much? [face_dunno]

4. eko32eko7

Jan 10, 2018
    It didn't. I saw a statement with which I disagree and I stated my opposition.[face_peace]

5. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    So why go off on one about me having contradictions in my stance, and that I needed to pick some imaginary side, when there weren't any?

6. eko32eko7

Jan 10, 2018
    Go off? I'm right here. I'd rather not derail this thread, as I have been known to do, but I am happy to continue the conversation elsewhere if you prefer. I think there is much to be gained from understanding on this topic.

7. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    To go off in the sense of the informal verb. Something about my rhetoric made you start a tangent in a comms thread where the central issue was already resolved, and to accuse me of an intellectual contradiction that doesn't exist. You used a thread about how appropriate a meme is to get mad at one sentence I wrote in an attempt to provide context for my belief on the appropriateness of using said meme.

As you said, I'm not interested in derailing the thread. Nor was I the one to do so. And nor am I interested in continuing a discussion about gender dynamics and their validity in storytelling.

[​IMG]

heels1785 likes this.
  8. eko32eko7

Jan 10, 2018
    I'm sorry to read that. May the Force be with you.

9. FromDromundKaasWithLove

FromDromundKaasWithLove Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2020
    I've been absent for a short while due to sickness, so it has taken me a while to get back to you.

Had the temporary ban been issued (which is a purely hypothetical scenario now), people would still have been perfectly free to write critical posts about Finn's character and those posts could be as long and as in-depth as the individual person desired because their right to criticize Finn's character was never the subject of the hypothetical ban.

That temporary ban was always about that one specific meme and that has been clear from the start.

If you wanted to post a very harsh criticism about Finn and the complete lack of value you thought his character had, you could have done so without any impediment. What you could not have done was make a post that was largely or entirely comprised of that one meme in some variant or another.

No speech would have been silenced because the right to have a negative opinion about Finn's character and the right to express that opinion would have remained perfectly safe.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  10. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Why don't you just ignore the memes?

jcgoble3 likes this.
  11. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    As a writer, I like to explore the jedi prospectives for Finn, that TFA seemed to suggest to me; however getting characterisations right is important when portraying people, and since "REYYYYYY!" is integral to Finn's portrayal, it is disturbing to see someone try to get it banned on any level. As such a decision can cascade across the Boards.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I want to point out it doesn’t matter if Boyega can take it or not. Actual bashing of him as a person or actor should not be tolerated even if he doesn’t care.