main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story Star Trek: Staying Connected (UDC 9)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Apr 26, 2020.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Characters: Ensemble, canon and original.

This is for UDC 9

~

Week One - provided by Mira_Jade
    1. Adamant

"Christine, how do you like the job at Starfleet Medical as chief of nursing? I am not looking forward to trying to pick a replacement for you this late in the game in our tour and who could replace you anyway and put up with the nonsense we healers get up to in order to destress?"

"Thank you, Doc. That means a lot. The work is stimulating but involves less patient contact than I like and more documentation than I prefer, to say the least."

Christine didn't tell McCoy but she was seriously considering returning to the Enterprise, which decision became more solidifed with each passing day.

When she did eventually return, his gladness was not just that of a friend or a valued colleague.
    "Christine, I need hardly tell you that I was adamant to never embark on a romance after Jocelyn! But ... now, I'm starting to be open to the notion."

"Really?" she asked in honest surprise.

He snagged a second helpful of chocolate hazelnut cake. "Yes, coincidentally, with you."

She flushed with no little pleasure.

2. Abide

Each time Spock returned to New Vulcan, Nyota wondered if the tug to abide there and help out would prove stronger than his commitment to the Enterprise, to Jim, to herself?

She wrote him this question towards the end of one such visit.

"I'm not one to harp or retain a grudge or you-did-this-to-me list, but I cannot help but wonder. The need there still remains although it may not be as urgent as previously."

"Nyota, as our time together continues, my connection to you - your essentiality - that is what validates and reaffirms my initial decision. My place is at your side."
    This response filled Nyota with euphoria and a deepened adoration.

3. Afield

Jim liked to go to the beach after sunset and watch the stars come out, alone or with a lady companion. He dreamed of far places and open spaces amongst the stars. Adventure and discovery beckoned.

Little did he know that he would have adventures beyond even what he could imagine!

Once on the Enterprise, the starfield still held an appeal, even and especially at warp speed. the starlines were exotic -- painting a mosaic of space and time.

4. Aghast

Jim was absolutely bursting with pride and self-congratulation. Not only had he beaten the Kobayashi Maru program when no one ever had even come close, but his "work around" had not been discovered, or more accurately, come back to him.

At least, not right away.

Oops! The jig was up! Jim was aghast at the realization of who had discovered his little 'prank.'

"Jim, what'd you do?" his close friend, Nate Stovall sent in an urgent message. "You wanna get booted out of the Starfleet?"

"I can talk my way out of it, just you watch!" Jim rejoined in a confident reply. "I can charm them out of the trees, as usual!"

5. Aforetime

"Jim, I am so pleased with what I am hearing about your first year's progress on your five year mission. I must admit that at the first, I almost had my doubts, but my initial instincts about you indeed proved to be valid. You have earned the respect of your superiors and the loyalty of your crew."

"Thank you, Captain Pike. That means a lot coming from you. I owe you more than I can express ... you gave me a chance with very little if anything to go by."

It was this sense of gratitude that impelled Jim to do his very best.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    Mira_Jade , divapilot and Kahara like this.
  2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    great to see the love between the characters in five different ways

3. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Lovely first set! [face_love]

They were all wonderful but my favorite was "Afield".

Just beautiful! Great job on all of them. =D=

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Great set!
    I really liked Afield with Jim thinking about being among the stars not having any idea where life will take him! And after watching Discovery ( I don't know if you've seen it or not) I ADORE Pike so I really liked Aforetime too.

Oh man, I laughed so hard! If this isn't the universal truth of health care, I don't know what is!

5. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Ooooh, but these are just wonderful little bite sized pieces of mushy goodness! Not that I ever expected anything less! :D [face_love]

Adamant: I loved the professional connection between Leo and Christine here! I can't blame her for wanting to come back to the Enterprise, for more reasons than one. [face_mischief]

Abide: My place is at your side. Such a simple sentence, but filled with so much feeling! [face_love]

Afield: A great character study for Jim! I loved every word of this.

Aghast: Oh Jim. :rolleyes: And there's the other side of the character study! [face_laugh]

Aforetime: What a lovely interpretation of the prompt! Pike is a wonderful mentor and guide for Kirk - who's going to do everything he can to make the captain who came before him proud. [face_love]

This was an excellent first set! I can't wait for more! :D [face_dancing] =D=

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thank you... I wanted to capture that sense of longing for adventure and how that was realized and savored even in the starfield in warp space, which personally I think would be cool!

[face_mischief] I can well imagine that particular slice of life hadn't changed. :p

@Mira_Jade thank you! [:D] I too adored Abide and Afield and Aghast did indeed present an interesting character study. ;)

Week Two provided by Briannakin

6. Raid

Yolette had served briefly on various Starbases in Engineering and on smaller cruisers. Her eventual goal was to serve on a starship.

She was confident in her competence and applied for a berth on the Enterprise.

Even if we have to put up with Orion raiders, she thought, Klingons, Romulans, and Tellarites, it'll be worth that to explore and discover and tweak the engines!

When she came aboard, she found the Chief Engineer was one after her own heart when it came to tweaking.

Her attention was caught reciprocally by Sulu, whose skill in fencing and love of growing things made her want to get to know him better.

7. Pirate

"You look lovely!" Kashore enthused as she and Nyota tried on their costumes for drama tryouts.

Nyota was Xenobia and Kashore Nefertiti. They would be auditioning for a trio of one-act plays.

Their friends were coming as pirates.

"Whatever," Nyota said. "I'd rather be a queen than a bandit!"

8. Smuggle

For the study group breakfast, Sherralyn brought donuts with cream and fruit filling. There was also some with chocolate glaze.

Miranda was pleased with this. "This is so unhealthy, but I'm not complaining!"

Nyota grinned. "I brought the coffee." She said.

The coffee was caramel and toffee flavored.

When the session was over, the leftovers were smuggled out again by the happy students.

9. Maraud

"I thought you said this was gonna be a milk run." Bradley said to Kirsten Vance.

"Hey, don't blame me." said Kirsten.

As security guards, they were watching out for the welfare of the away team when would-be robbers broke into the jewelry store next door where some of the Enterprise crew were browsing in between the meetings that had brought them to this mostly aquatic world.

Being highly efficient and calm and collected, Kirsten and Bradley were able to whisk the crewmembers out of the danger zone.

10. Steal

"Kiana, how was your trip home? Did you see Aunt Siobhan and Uncle Frank? I cannot call her 'Aunt' Tiffany. I'm sorry! I just cannot! It's too much! You and Dayvid have such a happy marriage; I'm so glad you didn't follow in your Dad's footsteps!"

"Nyota, LOL! We all have a choice whose example we follow, you know. Yes, to your question. I saw Mom and Dad. Tiffany's not so bad, for her own sake, but it's the whole way it happened that still rubs me. I try not to take it out on her, but still ... something was stolen from Mom and from me..."

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    Kahara and earlybird-obi-wan like this.
  7. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    love to see Yolette with Sulu and Uhura and her friends and a nice one with the security-guards

8. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    Another wonderful set!

Me too!

And Smuggle was delicious. [face_batting] I would love to attend that study group! Great job on these. :)

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  9. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I love how fun and light you made these! The prompts can easily slide into darker things, and that you kept them so fun was lovely.
    I particularly liked Smuggle! Now I'm hungry! It sounded so good!

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Week III from mavjade

11. Professor

Some instructors at the Academy were very informal; call me "Prof" or "My name's Janet".
    Others strictly wanted to be referred to by their rank and surname, thank you.
    One such was Emilia Suarez. She was one to stick to the discussion strictly and questions and answers were for the end of the session, not throughout.

"When we have holoconferences," Nyota said, "She's even more didactic."

That was one reason why if she commended your work and recommended you for something, you knew it was serious.

When she told Nyota she was on the short list for a very specialized internship, Nyota was amazed and thrilled!

"I'm not surprised," Sherralyn said, hugging her in jubilation. "Are you going to accept?"

"I'd be crazy not to, in most lights," Nyota answered. "But I have to decline. I have reasons for not wanting to go anywhere."

Sherralyn grinned. "I think I can list a few of them."

"Shhh." Nyota laughed even though it was hardly a secret what #1 was.

12. School

Hikaru Sulu's brother, Ryuki, was trying out for drama while Hikaru was joining the fencing club.

They were 2 years apart, and their tastes could hardly be more different.

"Our boys are nothing alike," Saori remarked to her husband, Asahi.

"No," Asahi agreed. "It's a wonder they get along as well as they do, though that's probably why."

"Hikaru loves growing things, like me." Saori observed with pleasure.

"He also loves the stars, like me." Asahi smiled with deep affection and gratification.

13. Gifted

Kashore listened in admiration as she heard Nyota practicing her voice lessons.

"She's really fantastic, you know?"

Their mom, Akilah, smiled. "I'm very glad she has a good voice. Can you imagine what it would be like if she sounded like a hyena?"

Kashore said: "Nyota got the lion's share of the talent in the family seems like."

"Doesn't seem to bother you, Kashore," Fahdili, their dad, said softly.

"Nah. One luminary per family is enough." Kashore chuckled.

14. Karma

Dajan came to pick up Kashore for their second date a half hour early. Luckily, she was ready.

"You're eager," she said with a laugh.

"Yeah, well, considering who my date is," he answered, presenting her with pink blooms which she immediately put in a vase.

"I'm like my sister in one respect. I hold out for the best and have very discriminating taste when it comes to whom I encourage. It's paying off already." Kashore said warmly, realizing that Dajan was the romantic, open type.

"I really like Dajan," Kashore told her sister after that particular date. "I'm so glad we literally ran into one another at the market."

15. Gambit

When the Captain got an injury, which didn't happen often, thanks to the vigilant Security detail, McCoy worked twice as hard because of their friendship.

What surprised the Doctor was the reaction of the first officer who probed persistently for status updates.

Something told McCoy that this wasn't just for the log or because of the command hierarchy regs or anything.

No, it was as personal as McCoy's own concerns.

"Never would've guessed," McCoy said. His respect for Spock was an automatic thing; trust was something else altogether that came with time. He was glad he could trust Spock with Jim's welfare.

The snarky banter did not lessen in the wake of such changes. If anything, it intensified.

"He doesn't seem to object," McCoy observed to Nyota one evening after shift in the rec lounge.

Nyota beamed. "Leo, can I tell you something in strict secrecy and frankness? Spock actually thrives on it."

+++

Kahara likes this.
  11. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    You always make such sweet, happy drabbles out of these prompts and they are always such fun to read!

Aww! I'm guessing it's because of Spock. Love is indeed a good reason not to go anywhere. [face_love]

Another great set! =D=

12. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    funny and love shining through all of the drabbles

13. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Gah, but I really do love these!!! You always manage to write such happy, uplifting little snippets, even when dealing with weighty topics, and I have such a smile on my face now much as I always do! [face_love] =D=

In particular, I enjoyed . . .

OH MY GOODNESS BUT I NEED MORE YOLETTE AND SCOTTY FRIENDSHIP, please and thank-you. :D

And, of course, seeing the inception of her relationship with Sulu is always sweet! [face_love]

Ha! A wise woman after my own heart! [face_laugh] [face_mischief]

Oooh, what a wonderful study session, and so yummy too! Now I just really want a doughnut. Stop number one as soon as the Stay At Home Order lifts, I tell ya! ;) [face_droll]

Aw! I loved getting to know Emalia a little bit better here - it fits perfectly with the image I had in my head. And, of course, Nyota has found her place and her niche - in more ways than one! Though the professional compliment is always gratifying. :)

Aw! I loved the glimpses of all the families in this set. Saori and Asahi are more than proud of their boys, and rightly so! Those last two lines were heartwarming, and said so much about how deep and loving their bond is with just a few words. [face_love] =D=

[face_love]!!!

Ha! Are you really surprised, though, McCoy? [face_mischief] His and Spock's bantering and bickering is just the best, though, and you did a great job catching the depths underneath their relationship - and with Jim too!

Exactly!!! [face_laugh] [face_love]

These were fantastic, as always! I can't wait for more. [face_dancing] =D= [:D]

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    @Mira_Jade your detailed, warm review is delightful!! Thank you!
    My favorite part of writing/reading is the undertones and back stories ;) So I'm happy to be able to expand on those in these drabbles! :cool:

Week IV

16. Misty

Areel Shaw found Jim to be a wonderful dancer. The song that was playing was called Misty.

They had been dating for a few weeks now, and they had a standing date for Saturday evening.

"Lovely song, it's a classic," Areel said.

He smiled and hummed the melody.

Jim decided "Misty" would be "their" song.

17. Lonely

"I was lonely after your father was lost," Winona confided, finding the semi-anonymity of writing easier than an in-person conversation would be. It also helped her to gather her thoughts and express them the way she wanted them to be. "I know that's no excuse, and certainly doesn't explain my lapse in judgement and people sense. It may not have seemed like it a lot of the time, but you were always my #1 priority."

"I was full of angst, then," Jim said, "Spoiling for a reason to carry around that log-sized chip on my shoulder. I can't say I made it easy for you, but maybe it's what I've gone through, but I've gained the ability to look back and see both sides a little better."

Winona could hear the hard-won maturity behind the words.

18. Fiery

Winona sent on one occasion: "One thing that hasn't changed, is your charm with the ladies! I always imagined you with a fiery type, fierce and loyal. I hope you find her someday."

"Still looking," Jim said.

That was before Audrey.

When he started writing Winona about Audrey, the subtext warmed her heart.

"Something tells me you're not looking anymore," Winona commented during a real-time exchange.

"No, not necessary now," Jim sent back.

19. Golden
    The setting is golden as Jim and Audrey are in a meadow of wildflowers with that hue. They remind one of sunflowers and buttercups.
    He and she talk about the letters between he and Winona.

Audrey was very happy Jim was on smooth terms with Winona.

He had no secrets from her, so he told Audrey of the things he and his Mom had communicated.

Audrey was very happy with this disclosure; it showed Jim's vulnerability and candor.

If Jim's relationship with past "flames" could be compared to silver or aquamarine, his with Audrey was pure gold.

20. Undying

When Jim heard Nyota sing "Misty," he grinned and shared his memories of the song.

"It's a wonderful thing how certain songs get tied to particular people and places," she remarked.

"It certainly is. If I'd heard you sing that song back in the day, I'd have fallen for you, for sure."

"You're incorrigible." Nyota laughed.

"Now, we've found our undying loves," Jim said.

"Yes, we're blessed." she agreed.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Kahara, amidalachick and Mira_Jade like this.
  15. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    These made me smile! They're all so sweet and beautiful. [face_love]

Such a gorgeous image!

YES! It really is a wonderful thing.

Lovely work as always! =D=

16. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Aw, these really are too sweet! [face_love]

Oh I really liked this! I'm glad that traditional letters gave Winona the relative anonymity and pace to express her thoughts and fix things with her son! Perfect. [face_love]

This was spot on insightful - which can be hard when we're looking back at ourselves. Jim really did show a hard won maturity here.

[face_love]!!!

Just lovely! The scene and the prose and their relationship. A gorgeous way to interpret the prompt. [face_love]

It really is, I agree with amidalachick!

Thanks for sharing another wonderful set! I can't wait to see what gems you have to share next. =D= [:D]

17. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Week III- I love Professor! I've always wanted a show that's just Star Fleet. This gave me a little glimpse of it! :D
    I also really loved Gambit!

Week IV- So sweet!! I love how they all connected!
    Golden was probably my favorite. I love how the setting is golden and then so is their relationship. <3

Lovely job!

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  18. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    love the set with Jim, Audrey and his mother connected in the set

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Week 5--

Temple

"Sarek, it amazes me how many cultures have a belief system tied to a temple or other physical location." Amanda said.

"It is something that many diverse cultures hold in common." he agreed.

"Yet, so often those beliefs divide, rather than unite. The ones who hold them see their temple, their system of faith, as not just true and valuable, but reasons to judge and even kill others."

"That is sadly true, yes."

"But Vulcans have avoided those pitfalls. Their beliefs and world views are internalized, and you don't harshly judge others by them."

"We attempt not to. We have varying degrees of success in that regard."

--

Sanctuary

Sarek had reason to recall this conversation with the loss of his world and life-mate. It was a bitter irony.

Now where would their literal and his emotive sanctuary reside?

It was a daunting thing, to begin again, to forge ahead, when one felt shattered.

His son's success in this was aided in no small measure because he had found a home amongst the stars... and with a particular special lady.

--

Shrine

"Hikaru, how like a Greek shrine this is," Yolette commented.

"And this like a Shinto one," he said, fascinated by the similarities on a farflung world.

"I guess shrine designs ... they can only come in so many shapes," Yolette observed, her gray eyes full of mischief.

"Yeah, even though the beliefs behind them differ widely."

"This culture once believed their moon was a swan in the sky ocean while that other one at one time held that the sun married the moon."

Sulu laughed. "Now they're both star-faring, seeking to join the Federation."

--

Monastery

"It's gorgeous!" Elspeth wrote to her sister Sherralyn. "I went to one of those Celtic monasteries on one of those once British Isles. It's a museum now with all kinds of historic exhibits. They're very interactive with holos and sculpts."

"That sounds intriguing. When I'm groundside again, I want to take Tristan to visit the "Emerald Isle," amongst other places. We also want to visit Tahiti."

"Oh, how romantic!" Elspeth answered. "Exotic and wonderful to share a tourist spot with a new love."

"It's certainly something to anticipate, that's certain!" Sherralyn answered.

--

Pilgrimage

Jim admired Spock for courageously embarking on a pilgrimage of growth and heart-choices in the aftermath of devastation.

He also had found a path of self-enrichment among the stars that he would never have found at a Starbase or space station. No, he needed the wonder and novelty of discovery and first contact.

He wasn't looking for someone to share this with, per se, but when he met Audrey Pearce, things just unfolded ... naturally.

Kahara likes this.
  20. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Really enjoying the variety of different relationships that feature here -- romance, friendship, family ties, the list goes on. [face_dancing] And all written with so much affection; this circle of Starfleet friends and others have such a strong connection. I especially liked the ones about Winona writing to Jim; it's nice to see them able to start healing their mother-son relationship with the perspective of years to help. :)

21. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    great to see the prompts showing the relations between friends and lovers

22. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    These are all beautiful once again!

I think my favorites were "Temple" with the great discussion of belief systems and "Monastery" because it's always fun anticipating trips. :D Great work on all of them though!

23. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I just loved this set! I know I say that every time, but I really, really mean it: I LOVED this set! [face_love]

Ha! Too true! I appreciated the entire shared philosophical musings here - Amanda certainly has a mind that can keep up with Sarek's and then some, and they each brought out some excellent points. But this one was a real ringer. :p

Oh, ouch. My heart! =(( =((

But this was beautiful - for Sarek to take comfort in his son's happiness. It mitigates his own grief, just slightly, knowing that Spock has a refuge all his own. Lovely! [face_love]

Gorgeous! I loved the comparison of different schools of thought and forms of expression. But when it comes down to it they all share a love of the stars!

There's a lot to admire there! :* Especially as both men share a similar fortitude and determination. And the Enterprise unites them both as a place to belong in their own pilgrimages of growth. Just lovely! [face_love]

I enjoyed every drabble in this set more than I can say! Thanks so much for sharing! =D= [:D]

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Note 1: Doing these out of order ;) and Note #2, the pengotter in Angel is thanks to the fun pairing introduced by @pronker [face_love] [face_mischief]

Week VI

26. Angel

27. Beast

28. Rogue

29. Frost

30. Storm

~*

The storm raged outside the windows. "I'm bored!" 10-year-old Sherralyn said. "I want to go outside!"

"You can go outside, but you'll get soaked," her sister, Elspeth told her, non-helpfully.

Sherralyn picked up a sofa pillow and threw it at her sister. "You!"

Gwendolyn, who was sauntering through at that very moment, said: "Pillow fight!"

And the fight was on.

Much thwacking and laughing ensued.

Sherralyn and her sisters landed in a tangle amongst the fat pillows and the pillow fight transitioned into a mutual tickle fest.

----

"What's a rogue planet or comet?" Hikaru asked his father while doing his homework.

"It's one that doesn't hold to the proper pattern." His father, Asahi, replied.

"Why doesn't it?"

"No one really knows. Perhaps it's to do with the size or trajectory."

"I guess those are more interesting to study than the ones that stick to the predictable."

"Maybe," his Dad said, "but being predictable is preferable."

When Sulu served under Captain Kirk, he had cause to recall this conversation.

Being a "rogue" when it came to mission outcomes certainly proved to be interesting, and it also frequently led to inventive solutions.

----

"Do you want an angel gif or a dolphin one for a screen saver?" Miranda asked Nyota.

"Oh, a dolphin, for sure!" Nyota smiled. "There's a lovely ocean background as well."

Miranda pressed a few keys and Nyota's desktop had a wonderfully tranquil scene.

"I am going to put in an otter and penguin swimming for mine," Miranda said.

"Together? In the ocean or in an aquatic park?"

"It looks like a blend of both." Miranda said. She laughed. "The otter's expression is quite angelic, now that I look at it."

"They seem to be best pals," Nyota chuckled.

----

Kashore and Nyota's parents were loving and candid with one another. They settled differences quickly; no frost was allowed to gather between them, no spiteful silences.
    It was a choice they each made, to apologize and clear the air before the day was over if a disagreement arose.

Their daughters took these relationship models to heart and pursued them in their own marital relationships.

Kahara likes this.
  25. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    lovely phrasing and ...

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe I'm picturing the pengotter swimming!! Such darn fun to see her![:D]