main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Prequel References In The ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Juliemcc81, Dec 21, 2019.

1. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    It's beautiful. IMO, ST works better when mirroring PT than when aping OT.

2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Agreed! It should've done much more of that and given the story a stronger trilogy-of-trilogies, bookends feel.

3. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    Yep. PT was actually much better base for the story they were trying to tell (minus FO/Resistance noise) but they were too afraid to show it so they drowned it in OT nostalgia noise. But when you filter important stuff, it's a perfect Chiasmus. GL would be proud of those moments.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Jediking97 likes this.
  4. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    Not a reference, more like a model; but since the development thread remains locked...Luke saw the darkness growing in Ben at moments during his training. Anakin's training, AOTC junior novel:
    According to Pablo Hidalgo, Luke saw something that suprised him when he looked into Ben's head in the hut. Obi-wan would have been surprised too...but Luke's reaction is more personal.Obi-Wan would not have said 'the end of everyhting I love' about the tusken raiders. Luke reacts a bit like after hearing 'perhaps she will' in ROTJ.
    A man and a woman are heard screaming, and also lightsabers. Maybe Luke knew who those people were. 'You opened yourself to dark dide for a pair of pretty eyes' sounds like Luke talking about himself, much like Kylo's 'your parents threw you away like garbage' is about himself -his POV- and not about Rey.

5. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    I think it is both. Love and the will of the Force. “So you might say we’re encouraged to love” - Anakin except until he got greedy.

Lulu Mars and cratylus like this.
  6. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    Some great new finds here. I'm really enjoying this!

CampOfSorgan and MarcJordan like this.
  7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm liking this too

MarcJordan likes this.
  8. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    So we can say when love is true and selfless (a person knows they are giving their life force to their loved one), the Force empower one to make it possible. or something.

MarcJordan likes this.
  9. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    The Canto Bight and Kijimi sections seem like they could have been from episodes of TCW.

Jediking97, Lulu Mars and MarcJordan like this.
  10. Resistance_Man

Resistance_Man Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2018
    Bit of an older reference but Anakin's Podrace Flag can be seen above Maz Kanata's Castle in TFA.

11. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    That "Love won't save you" line is also referenced in Rose's talk to Finn on the battle of Crait.

"That's how we're gonna win, not fighting what we hate, but saving what we love."

MarcJordan likes this.
  12. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    There were some pod racer flags in the trailer for TFA, but they were all removed in the finished film.
    Apparently, JJ didn't want the scene to be "all about pod racing" :rolleyes:

ETA: After a double check, I can confirm that Anakin's flag is definitely not in the scene.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    Deliveranze likes this.
  13. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    Good catch! Rian said he loved the prequels.

14. Vault

Vault Jedi Master star 1

Jan 18, 2010
    I'm learning a lot from this thread! Great stuff all around. TFA is ripe with nostalgia from the OT but the ST has some nice callbacks to the PT and that's what's nice to see—the entire saga referenced.

MarcJordan likes this.
  15. Resistance_Man

Jan 16, 2018
    What?? I swore I could’ve seen Anankin’s flag in the real movie. Must’ve changed it to something similar, because I atleast saw the same color scheme.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  16. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    They might have been in the trailer, but @Lulu Mars is right. Abrams said right around the time that he had them removed because the scene would be "all about podracing."

Here it is.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ra...final-cut-of-star-wars-the-force-awakens/amp/

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018

18. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Are there still some podracer flags there? It would make sense if Maz had flags up for the greatest podracers of all time. Anakin only had the one win. I also like how this plays into the wooden Maz in Anakin's room.

Jediking97 likes this.
  19. Resistance_Man

Jan 16, 2018
    Yeah, I thought I heard there were some other flags up there too like Sebulba and Ben Quadrenaros, were those removed too?

20. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    When the one of the Knights of Ren Ap’leks slams his Vibro-Ax on the floor during the reconstruction of Ren’s mask scene. This reminiscent of the Magna Guards watching Obi Wan at Utapau who does similarly menacingly with his electro-spear (flanked by two battle droids) seen at one of the upper levels of Utapau city.

MJ

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  21. Resistance_Man

Jan 16, 2018
    You can see a podracing engine in Unkar Plutt's Junk Yard. Hopefully this one wasn't removed lol!

22. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
  23. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    Anakin kneeling before Palpatine in ROTS. Kylo kneeling before Snoke in TLJ.

MarcJordan likes this.
  24. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    Yes! I’ve posted a whole examination (gave me a head ache doing it:p) of the scenes in question. Unfortunately can’t seem to find it now. In short I think RJ had purposely made a juxtaposition with how Snoke initiates an opposite reaction to Kylo’s “wanting to please Snoke by the murder of Han and that he did it to give up all he held dear to learn more of the Darkside to solve his attachments” - “I’ve given up everything I had for you “.

In ROTS it is Anakin who “pledges himself” as well but for totally the wrong reason . Not for the Darkside but to save Padme.

Kylo kills his loving father for the DS while Anakin wants no harm on Padme to keep her alive and to achieve it through DS.

Also while Kylo kneels Snoke is disappointed that he expected a “New Vader” whereas while Anakin kneels Sidious/Palpatine newly knights him as Darth Vader.

In TLJ Kylo is also forced to remove his mask, while Anakin later is “forced” to wear one. Which is interesting that Kylo “spirit was split to the bone “ Snoke sees right through . Basically his problem is exposed by his seen face while Anakin in the suit one can’t see his burned up features and suffering hidden by the suit.

Just a few from my initial but lost post which had pics too. Ah well.

MJ

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Ubraniff Zalkaz likes this.
  25. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    Padme: All mentors have a way of seeing more of our faults than we would like. It's the only way we grow.

Kylo: Let the past die. Kill it, if you have to. That's the only way to become what you are meant to be.

MarcJordan likes this.