main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge 2020 Reading Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kit' , Jan 16, 2020.

1. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    I think it has to be a no for using individual stories from drabbles as otherwise you could do all of it in a few short weeks on one author’s work. If you want to fulfil one of the criteria with a collection then that’s fine.

Kahara likes this.
  2. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Edit: misread, never mind.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  3. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    Okay, just wanted to check first. Thank you!

Kit' , Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  4. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    All good! It's a fair question. :)

Kahara likes this.
  5. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    All right, I'll give this a try. Maybe if I post here it'll give me incentive to finish....

Fanfic Treasure Hunt

1. A fic by your favourite* author: "Sparks," by Findswoman. [Like many folks here, I have several favorite authors, but Findswoman is one of them and I haven't read this one yet, so....] A young Lasat female discovers her connection to the Ashla (the Force) during her summer work detail.

2. A fic with two or more authors: The Galactic Correspondent, by Chyntuck, WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Kahara, Skygawker, Goodwood, Ewok Poet, SabyneAmberle, and Viridian-Maiden. The events of The Phantom Menace as reported by a variety of news sources -- and "news" sources -- including official government news feeds, a fashion and gossip channel, a tabloid, a Jedi Temple newsletter, and a Gungan holo vid series. It unfortunately appears to be abandoned. [ I'm sorry I missed this when it was updating live. TPM is still one of my favorite SW movies, and I have a journalism background.]

3. A short story/one shot: "Terrarium Takeover." A charming look at Padawan Qui-Gon Jinn's attempt to bring the Living Force into his shared quarters. His master, Dooku, has misgivings.

4. An old favourite*: Less an old favorite than an ancient one :D.... "Old Friends, Long Gone," by FernWithy. After the Battle of Endor, Leia and Luke meet an old friend of their parents, who recalls the young people Darth Vader and Padmé Naberrie had been. [This was originally posted on the Fanfic boards, but much of it was lost when the forums migrated, so I've linked to the Fanfic Archive copy. I particularly remember this one because it was one of the few stories at the time that treated Jar Jar Binks respectfully. It’s often difficult to find pro-Gungan stories.]

5. A fic starring a Twi'lek or non-human character: "Hondo Ohnaka and the Quest for the Aurodium Quadduck," by Raissa Baiard. Galaxy-renowned pirate (at least in his own mind) Hondo Ohnaka regales Ezra Bridger and Zeb Orrlelois with the (very, very tall) tale of his search for a legendary treasure.

6. A challenge winner. Found two for this one:
    Why I Hate the Jedi,” by LilyHobbitJedi. Palpatine expresses his feelings about the Jedi in poetry. An amusing piece by an author who has never written poetry before.

Hiraeth,” by TheRynJedi. Exploring the “longing for a place you cannot return to or never existed,” this short but thoughtful piece includes four musical videos embedded in the text to convey the title’s meaning. The fic is carried entirely by OCs, with both the concept and the emotions reaching across cultures.

7. A fic recommended to you by someone else: The Nar Kreetan Job, by Mia Mesharad. Hidden treasure, a heist, plot twists and excellent characterization as the author's OC Ezgi Deshra tries to keep her client (and herself) alive when an attempted theft goes wrong.

8. A fic with exactly four words in the title: Always a Bigger Fish, by devilinthedetails. Qui-Gon Jinn and his padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi are assigned the oversight of a voting recount on the planet Arieli, where they must collect viewpoints and evidence from different political factions and organizations. A Star Wars version of current events right here at home. [I want to formally request the Jedi oversee the November elections in the US. Who should I contact?]

9. An intimidating fic you have avoided: Something in Kylo Ren’s Shoe: a Millicent the Cat Story, by Gizkaspice. Cat lovers of the GFFA unite! If you ever wondered how much better the SW Sequel Trilogy movies would be if cats ran battle fleets, the humans served as support staff, and Kylo Ren's mom called in the middle of a First Order staff meeting to tell him she's sending him clean underwear because a kitten tipped her off, than this fic's for you!

10. A fic with OCs as the main characters: "The Life and Times of the Dancing Gamorrean," by Chyntuck. Zane the Gamorrean escapes Jabba the Hutt's palace, joins the Rebellion, defeats an Empire Star Destroyer, and becomes a hero -- all by accident.

11. A fic by a new^ author: "Leatherface," by rktho. A Weequay girl, longing to be considered beautiful, steals a skin-cleansing cream. When her beauty regimen goes wrong, however, she finds surprising kindness from the people around her.

12. A fic you’ve been meaning to try: Our Love of Constellations, by Mira_Jade. A series of shorts and drabbles about various characters in the GFFA. There's something here for almost everyone.

13. A fic that is outside your favourite time period/show: Let the Dice Fall Where They May, by GreyBard. Captain Phasma plots a new course for the First Order, Lando Calrissian and Maz Kanata team up to save a planet, and Leia Organa chooses to negotiate an agreement. [I must confess I'm not a huge fan of the sequel trilogy -- I've read too many of the books and graphic novels of the EU/Legends line of Star Wars -- but Maz is a favorite character and the writing on this is quite good.]

14. A fic with a great first line: “Master Grover Teaches Perspective,” by Sith-I-5. The first line in question: “It’s all fun and games, until someone drops a heavy ferracrete column on a pair of your Jedi.”

15. A fic whose main character is an OC: Welcome to Mandalore, by Mia Mesharad. From grand hotels to little market squares, and art museums to silver-leaved forests, tour the fascinating planet of Mandalore. Meet metal smiths, inn keepers, sweets sellers, and ship engineers. All courtesy of Ezgi Deshra, your native guide.

16. A fic whose title catches your attention: "Tookas in a Box," by Shira A'dola. Imperial Admiral Firmus Piett's youngest daughter brings home a box of kittens -- right in the middle of a fancy party. [Piett. Tookas. What's not to love?]

17. A fic that started in the month of your birthday: [Thought this would be among the more difficult prompts, but I've found several fics, two of which I'll list here -- they're both short -- and a couple others I'm saving for other prompts] "The Claws of Father Cold," by Gaarastar58. Set in the early life of Chirrut Imwe and Baze Malbus, who despite struggling to survive on the cold streets of Jedha City, are still drawn to helping one another.

"Shaking Things up a Bit," by TheRynJedi. Zeb and Ezra play a practical joke involving a helmet and really large bug.

18. A fic you meant to read in 2019: Shaman, Traveler, Oracle: Journal of an Exile of Lesan, by Findswoman. After Shulma Trilasha Orrelios survives the destruction of Lesan, her travels take her to unexpected places, the company of new friends, and greater knowledge of her own unique abilities.

19. A fic with love, kiss or hug in the title The Gods Who Love the Sky, by GregMcP. [I kind of dreaded this prompt, as I don't generally like romance stories, so finding this fic was, well, I won't say a god-send, but....] A family of rodent-like beings find a trio of "stone" objects that appear to be gods, and a mysterious "cave" nearby. The entire scene changes dramatically when an alien comes searching for Republic relics and evidence, and stumbles upon a trio of battle droids. The cast is entirely OCs, but the Star Wars feel is definitely there. (But no romance.)

20. A fic that states a relationship in the title: "The Witch and the Jedi," by Kablob. After Ahsoka Tano walks away from the Jedi Order, she joins forces with Asajj Ventriss to track down kyber crystals for new lightsabers for each of them. In the course of the search, each woman learns something about herself and her relationships from the past.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Got one!

1. A fic by your favourite author—My original plan was to abstain from this category entirely, because I really and truly have more than one favorite author here and picking one just isn’t possible. So I’ve decided to use this slot to celebrate a particular one of those favorite authors who is returning to writing after a period of hiatus, and that is @Kahara, with her sparkling drabble series Twin Suns Bed and Breakfast and Other Stories. Such joy to see you back, old friend! @};- =D=

And wonderful to see you back and on board, @Seldes_Katne ! :D

7. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    Always a pleasure, Findswoman. :) Wasn't sure how well I'd do with this challenge, but I'm making steady progress, and finding some good stuff!

Kahara, Findswoman and Kit' like this.
  8. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    I have been so remiss in not keeping up with my own challenge!

It is, however, my very belated pleasure to congratulate @Seldes_Katne for finishing the challenge and being first! Excellent work and I'm glad you found lots of amazing stories.

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  9. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Got another one:

12. A fic you’ve been meaning to try—Du Doompa by @rktho . Been curious about this one for a long time, and now that I’ve caught up with it my curiosity has more than paid off! “Du Doompa” means “the lowly” in Huttese, and this epic goes in-depth into the gritty everyday of members of the Galaxy’s lower income bracket—and those who are hunting them down. Features a vibrant and diverse cast of characters (including lots of aliens, yay!) who are drawn together by fate and circumstance.

Just one category left now! [face_dancing]

Kahara and Kit' like this.
  10. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
  11. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    So, I’m now on my very last category, which is #9, “An intimidating fic you have put off reading,” if I recall. For this one I’d like to put forth two stories that I’ve recently read/reread and reviewed, and it’s tough, of course, because how does one tell an author you find some of their work intimidating—especially when it’s one of your favorite authors? So I guess instead of “intimidating” I’d like to think of it more as, “difficult for me (personally) to read for one reason or another” (and those reasons had nothing to do with the talents of the author or my esteem for her). But I ultimately enjoyed both of these very much once I took the plunge—no surprise, there, really, knowing said author! :cool:

So, here we go:

Now You’re a Home, a radiantly bittersweet and richly detailed Rex/Ahsoka slow burn by the one and only @Mira_Jade. I’ve been meaning to catch up with this one for a long, long time, ever since she posted it for the OTP #16 Milestones challenge—but its sheer size and length, combined with the fact that I don’t know TCW as well as I could, made it challenging for me to do so. But such a reward now that I have finally caught up—and I very much can’t wait for more, and for what I’m sure will be a gorgeously oomphy “will they” to crown Rex and Ahsoka’s “will they, won’t they”!

Still, You Give, also by @Mira_Jade, written for last year’s December gift exchange as a gift for @Nehru_Amidala, in whose crossover AU universe it takes place. Zeb and Kallus, while babysitting Jacen Syndulla and Nehru’s OC Rhiannon Hektor after crash-landing the Ghost on a winterlocked planet, bond over reminiscences of seasonal holidays past and find common ground in those reminiscences. This one took me a while to read simply because Kallus is not an easy character for me to read about in general; I have major problems with the way he is portrayed both in official material and in the fandom (especially in the fandom). But Mira is one of those writers whose characterization and sensitivity I can always trust, no matter who or what she is writing about, and I’m glad I finally took the chance on this story of wintertime friendship.

And with that, I think I have all twenty categories filled now! This has been fun—thanks again to @Kit' for hosting. =D=

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  12. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh my goodness, but I have been remiss on filling in my own fan fic treasure hunt! Rather than going back and weeding through the reviews I've already left over the past ten months, I'm going to roll up my sleeves and see how much of this I can chip away at in the little time we have left this year. There are certainly more than enough fine stories out there to fill in the blanks I need! :D

So, to start . . .

For #9: an intimidating fic you have avoided, I finally took the plunge with @ViariSkywalker's The Lands of the Dead. In this case, I mean intimidating as the highest possible compliment. This story is a psychological horror of the first degree, and not an easy subject to write - or read! - about. Delving into this story was like tip-toeing into icy cold water. It took me a couple tries, but once I was in, I was in hook, line, and sinker. This is a visceral, savage story about the lengths human beings can be pushed to in the name of survival, and the unbreakable bond between brothers, for better or worse. It's a Legends AU, which is right up my alley in a wonderfully nostalgic way, and it has opened the door for me to read Viari's time travel AU next! There, I am intrigued to see what ultimately becomes of Darth Festus and Darth Ferrus, and the entire Sith Order who created them. Haunting and powerful, this is a fic that's definitely going to stay with me. =D=

Alrighty! Now let's see what gems I can uncover next . . . :D

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  13. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Realised I've been terrible at my own challenge. There are lots of pics that I read that I didn't record which is shabby work on my part.

A massive, albeit belated congratulations to @Kahara and @Findswoman for finishing!

14. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Hey, @Kit' and co., just wondering, what would you think of running this challenge this year, too? Could be with the same categories or different. No pressure, just throwing it out there, as I really enjoyed it last year! :)

Kahara and ViariSkywalker like this.
  15. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    I would be interested in doing this again as well. My library has a couple of reading challenges for this year for our patrons -- I would be willing to send some suggested categories if needed.

16. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    @Findswoman and @Seldes_Katne - the mods have given the go ahead for this to happen again this year.

So the question is -

What categories should we keep?
    What categories should we discard?
    What categories should we add?

17. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    Most of the categories are fine -- I managed to track down fics that fit all of the descriptions last year, so even if you just ran the same list and changed the date on #18, it would be okay. However, I have a few suggestions, which you may use or not, as you please:

• Change #1 to "a fic by one of your favorite authors," since several people noted the difficulty of choosing just one favorite author.
    • Tweak or combine #10 or/and #15, as they are both about OCs as main characters.
    • Perhaps switch #8 to "fic with exactly five words in the title" just to make it different from last year's prompt.
    • I've looked at a couple of the Reading Challenges we did at my library, and both included "Read a book of poetry." There's not a lot of poetry on the boards (unfortunately -- maybe we could do something to encourage more), but I was thinking song lyrics are a form of poetry, so perhaps add a "songfic" category. And we have a "songfic" tag, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find one.
    • A fic with a color in the title
    • A fic with fewer than five reviews. I liked the idea of supporting new authors (#11) on last year's list. Which brings me to

Prompts I particularly liked from last year's list:
    • Fic featuring a non-human character
    • Fic outside your usual time period
    • To my surprise: #19, with "love, hug or kiss" in the title (I'm not a romance fan, but I did find one with "Love" and it turned out to be one of the most unique fics I've ever read. It wasn't a romance, either.)
    • Short story or one-shot -- this should be fairly easy to find, read and review.

One of the things that pops up on the Goodreads site is suggestion lists for specific types of books (usually in response to a specific reading challenge). I'm not sure if you want to have something like that or not. Participants could offer a list of fics they found that would fit prompt #7 (for example), but are not going to use themselves.

Perhaps open something like that up during the last three months of the challenge, so people have time to find things on their own, but can get help if they're stumped. When I was doing my list last year, I would copy and paste the link of several stories that fit the prompt (if I found more than one). Then I would choose one to read, list, and review. The rest would get assigned to another prompt if they fit it, or be deleted if I didn't decide to read them just for my own interest.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021