main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Speculation Does anyone think due to Ahsoka's popularity, they might make a film about her?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Eli Vanto, Apr 16, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Maybe? :confused: I'm afraid that's understating the likelihood.

While theater will always exist because of the grander movie experience, as well as the social experience, it will be crowded some and ultimately changed to a degree (the overall industry) by the emergence of streaming (and better TV shows in general).

Yes, I know many continue to have trouble coming to grips with this change. There are many who still go to the ol' DVD players and a giant stack of DVD's of old shows and movies. They doggedly deny that there is a better way. They huddle in fire-lit caves wearing animal skin loin clothes, grunting at each other, cooking rats over the fire. Please move on from your primitive ways.

Indeed, while I would not call TV per se "better", it definitely can tell better stories given its format, and has really moved up to equal footing with movies. Progress in the quality of TV shows since the early 2000's has been astronomical, while I wouldn't really say movies have improved at all in that time period, excepting technological advances.

SW was always a good fit for TV, so it is really good to see them go all in.

Ahsoka would have to be very popular as a TV shows for several seasons for them to make a movie where she is the main character. Mando was the biggest TV show in the world, and I haven't heard discussion of his own movie. Not yet anyway.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Coronavirus will rapidly accelerate the death/ marginalization of cinemas. Will become more and more a niche thing just for massive franchise films. Big MCU movies and the occasional big Star Wars film. I’m sure of it.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  3. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    I for one would love to see an Ahsoka-centric movie/film; whether released exclusively on Disney’s+ or in the theatre. Just make sure Eckstein and Filoni are involved creativitly (Filoni would be no doubt)

Darth_Diealot and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  4. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I'm honestly sure Rosario Dawson's casting pretty much confirms we'll see more of her. What are they going to do, cast a decently known actress to play a fan favorite character for a single episode of television and then never use her again? I'm sure thats the plan, lol. Totally. If anything, this, an appearance in Kenobi, etc, are trial runs for a full Disney + series. There's a LOT of room and story to tell. Everything post Clones, up to Rebels, is available, as well as post rebels. Theres a rumored animated series, but it's yet to be shown off so I'll assume its just a rumor, leaving that time frame up for grabs as well. There's that ahsoka book post TCW, but come on. We all know they'd rather make money off a tv show than leave that story to just a book that only sold a couple hundred thousand copies and most fans have no idea exists.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Ahsoka Tano movie dealing with her place in the galaxy post ROTJ. Is she a jedi or is she something else.

Darth_Diealot likes this.
  6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Yes. And at the end, she finally realizes that what she really wants to do is teach Bikram Yoga.

Darth_Diealot likes this.
  7. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    There are rumours of a Rebels sequel series that would follow Ahsoka and Sabine searching for Ezra in the Unknown Regions. Now, I'm taking that with a boulder of salt, but if it is true then I can't see them making a post-RotJ Ahsoka film. The most likely time-period to me would be circa Rebels - either Ahsoka on the run (like in the Ahsoka novel) or working for the rebellion.

Still, I'm not convinced Ahsoka would get her own film. Lucasfilm have kept there different media fairly separate, and I don't necessarily think they're wrong to do so - think how many people were confused by Maul's appearance in Solo. Ahsoka's made a good home for herself on television. I don't think the character needs to go beyond that.

8. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I think Ashoka stays in books and TV. If she does appear in movies like with TROS it would be in the background. The reason they can put her in Mandalorian is the fans that are going to watch that are more hardcore and at least know who she is without having to go through some weird explanation.

9. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    I love Ahsoka but I am perfectly happy with her staying on the small screen. I believe that whatever comes to the big screen next needs to be all original characters so it can sink or swim on its own. Not only that but what story could they tell better than her Clone Wars arc? In Rebels she was a nice addition and I think in The Mandolorian she will be as well. If anything she could get her own series to tell smaller scale personal stories.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I would argue Ahsoka is anything but niche. I would be willing to bet she is more liked than most of the characters Disney created. And that's not a slap, but praise as to how well George and Dave did developing the character. I would go so far as to say she's one of the most popular characters in the franchise.

11. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    I completely agree with this; George and Dave are given her time and structure to allow the audience to see all of her faults, emotions and watch her growth up in a way no other character has before. As other popularity just look at any “Popularity Contest” on this site by @Jordan1Kenobi and she either wins it or is top 4 in the franchise (am I right? Jordan)

As to some saying she’s a niche, the latest Disney+ numbers and overall staying power of especially TCW seems to say otherwise. Put it this way if I had to chose to put any character to carry Star Wars over any other for a few years I’d choose Ahsoka Tano or any other character.

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  12. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I would prefer a series with her character, rather than a film. Anyway, there are SO many sites reporting so called "in development" SW series or films, it's impossible to know WHAT to believe. If they were ALL true, by 2022 we would be seeing like 6-7 series on Disney+ and two or three films! (Not that I would hate that).

13. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Pretty much this.

I'd actually prefer it if she just showed up in a few Disney + shows, as well as a new animated series with Ezra/ Chiss Ascendancy. If she becomes extremely popular with the mainstream then give her her own film (ala Black Widow in the MCU) when the time is right to bring back character films.

14. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    Eh, I don't think polls on these forums are a good indicator of popularity with the general public. We're self-selected Star Wars fans. We wouldn't be here if we weren't. Our tastes do not necessarily reflect the sentiment of the general public.

Barely anyone I know in real life knows who Ahsoka is. At best, I'd probably get a "the girl from the cartoon movie?". That isn't to say that a movie with her would fail, just that you can't assume that people would automatically be interested.

15. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I think you really underestimate the difference in views between the animated shows and the movies. For all its successes, Clone Wars and Rebels get dwarfed by all he movies when it comes to the size of the audience. There is a niche where Ahsoka is very popular, but it is still nothing but a niche. The large majority of the general audience probably hasn't even heard of her, and you can make a good case that this applies to people who are into the franchise but not exactly hardcore fans either. Heck, just look at the reaction to Maul's appearance in Solo. It was basically "wait, is that supposed to be Maul? I thought he died in TPM?". It wasn't common knowledge that he returned elsewhere in the franchise, outside of the relatively small group (compared to the size of the fandom as a whole) that was into the animated shows or at least paid closer attention to what was going on in the franchise.

And this isn't a slight against Ahsoka, it is true for basically every character that doesn't come from the movies but is extremely popular in parts of the fandom. Be it Mara Jade, Thrawn, Revan, or whoever else you can think of.

16. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    I don't think a future film will be about her but may have her appear. This is the Filoni way.

A film about her might appeal to some Ahsoka fans and SW fans generally. And there are people signed on for films so it makes sense from our SW bubble.

And a new SW film might also appeal to the general public who don't know who she is. BUT I think there's been a conclusion to the Star Wars Cinematic Universe (broadly speaking) that I think a creative break with the past will happen. Not just characters but timeframe. Ahsoka is too embedded in the PT/ST/OT that she would limit the creative freedom if she was the focus.

So, IMHO, Ashoka may be a minor role with major impact (like Obi-Wan in the OT) - a driving force - but not the main character if she appears at all.

17. Vader Bob

Vader Bob Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2020
    I think making a live action Ashoka film (and other known characters not from the films) is problematic because you either have to re-create the backstory for the fans that only watch the films thus failing to cover new ground for the hardcore fans or leaving the more casual fans in the dark as to the origins of the character. The live action TV shows are probably the best way to test those waters but logistically I think it's easier for the writers to just draw from storylines that aren't intertwined with the other properties. That said, TCWs finale and her Rebels appearances definitely left me wanting to see her story continued.

DannyD likes this.
  18. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Well, there's another factor here which is that while the dropoff from the recognition level of movie characters to animated series characters is steep, the dropoff from there to characters from comics and novels is even steeper. Kids had the cast of Rebels on their lunchboxes, which isn't something you can say about Mara Jade. The animated shows aren't film-big but they're way more recognizable than lit-only ones -- partly also because they have definitive visual representations. And in that case Ahsoka not only has a pretty striking visual presence, it's also been prevalent for a decade now. Out of non-film characters, only Din Djarin and The Child have higher profiles.

I don't think that makes an Ahsoka feature very likely any time soon, but there's a clear move to make the animated shows the "farm team" for the live action shows, and the live action shows possibly setups for features (although I honestly don't believe they know what the hell they're doing for the features at all). Lit stuff is way, way below all of that, and honestly Thrawn was probably the only contender for other media, mostly because he was the center of a series that actually rekindled the public's interest in Star Wars, and was a compelling standalone character who could be pretty easily repurposed, and that's been done already.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    DannyD likes this.
  19. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I think you could add Revan to that list as well.

20. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    Now there's an interesting question: would people accept a canon Revan who had a completely different story to the Legends Revan?

I also think a large part of Revan's appeal comes from the fact that you are Revan, something that can't be replicated on film.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  21. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I know I would because I think it would be better then what happened to Revan post KOTOR if you ask me.

Revan/Thrawn probably the two biggest EU character who probably are gonna get some big kudos soon.

Granted I heard rumor of a KOTOR re-imagining so hard to say.

22. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    If the rumors are true that she'll be in The Mandalorian, then that could be a testing ground for seeing how she is received in live action. If positively, then that could lead to a feature film.

23. Vader Bob

Vader Bob Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2020
    I don't know how much you can infer from Dawson's casting. She was kind of a peripheral character in the Defenders series and I think cameos might be a fun, low commitment way for known actors to attach themselves to a Star Wars property. We saw it to an extent with Nolte, Burr, etc. on the Mandalorian already. Not saying she won't have a bigger role - I'm actually hoping she does - but it wouldn't surprise me either way.

24. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    this, in a nutshell.

cwustudent likes this.
  25. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Ahsoka is certainly a very good, and beloved, Star Wars character. Her strength has been seeing her get the development/arc that TCWC afforded her. Saying that, and as much as I'd like to see Ahsoka in a live action film, her 'role' is kind of limited as she's neither a player in the OT or ST... so by her nature, she's kind of going to be a peripheral character. I personally feel the best bet, in terms of live action, would be to hook her up with Obi-Wan in action adventures set between ROTS and ANH. Indeed, I feel the biggest opportunity for this time setting is an extension of the TCWC Obi-Wan/Maul/Ahoska dynamic. Throw in a bit of Crimson Dawn, Darth Vader and Palps, and you'd have (potentially), a truly great 'Anthology' Star Wars movie. Of course, this is academic/hypothetical, given the Obi-Wan TV show... but that may still morph into a live action movie at some point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.