main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Spielberg Not Directing Indy 5- James Mangold in Talks to Replace

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Bazinga'd , Feb 26, 2020.

1. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I heard the original screenplay for Last Crusade written by Chris Columbus opened in a haunted house in Scotland and ended with the holy grail being guarded by a giant ape. I wonder if they will use either of these. Doubt the giant ape, ha. But they did use the mining cars and plane crash in TOD which were originally in the Raiders script.

2. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    All of that was basically rejected by Spielberg because it was too fantastical. Without Lucas pushing for something for esoteric and experimental, I doubt Spielberg or any studio will go in that direction.

christophero30 likes this.
  3. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Yes he'd go with less fantastical stuff like aliens. :p Kidding I know this was George's idea.

4. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    WTF?!

https://collider.com/indiana-jones-5-update-script-james-mangold-frank-marshall/

Writing Indy seems harder then anything else. This movie wont be released ever...

5. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    We're already at 12 years since Crystal Skull. Kind of funny when I recall the mid 90s when I thought of Last Crusade as a "classic 80s film" despite that it was like six years old.

6. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    12 years since CS?? Wow. I remember seeing it twice opening day.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    The crazy thought is that it's possible that by the time Indy 5 comes out, it would almost be close to as much time in between CS and Five as there was between LC and CS!! As an adult that block of years feels VERY different and much shorter for me-the time between LC and CS was like my entire childhood thru graduating college into my late 20s!

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    My fingers are crossed that the writers are taking advantage of the covid 19 delay to put more time into a good script.

9. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Twelve years. Where does the time go? It's eleven years since "Avatar", which seems weird as it feels very much a modern movie. My youngest was just a baby when it came out, and this year he's off to high school.

I watched Call of the Wild last night. I really enjoyed it. I quite like "old" Harrison Ford. He's like a pair of comfortable slippers, you always know what you're going to get with him.

I thought that I was going to hate the CGI dogs, but actually thought they were great.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  10. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Call of the Wild was really good, as was Ford's performance. The CGI was a little strange at first, but once I got used to it was fine.

11. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    i agree! during Quarantine my family watched Call Of The Wild Harrison Ford was really good in it he can still bring the goods for Indy 5!

12. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Was the fact that Mangold is Directing just officially announced today?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Late response but I just watched this and loved it. As someone who watched White Fang countless times as a kid Call of the Wild actually hit that nostalgic sweet spot even more so than Star Wars has recently.

14. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I haven't commented on this but I'm okay with Spielberg stepping away from the director's chair. Although I really like KotCS it seems like Spielberg was doing it more as a favor to Lucas and Ford then anything else. The Spielberg who directed RotLA is not the same Spielberg who directed KotCS.

And that's okay.

I think Schindler's List profoundly changed Spielberg as a director and there was no going back.

I love Spielberg's post SL work. His later films are darker and more mature but there are some fun bright spots like Catch Me If You Can and The Terminal however with KotCS I feel like Spielberg was holding back just a bit. Notice that Indy never directly fires a gun and kills some bad guys. Spielberg just couldn't go back to Nazi cartoon villains after the experience of Schindler's List.

I think Crystal Skull would have been better if Lucas has directed it himself. He would have at least let Indy kill some bad guys. Remember that Lucas had Anakin killing younglings just three years earlier. Plus Lucas would have really committed to the sci-fi plot. So I'm fine with Spielberg bowing out for this one. He just has different priorities now as a filmmaker. I only wish he had realized this earlier. He could have stepped down in the mid 90s and we could have had new directors come in to carry on with the franchise.

Imagine Indy 4, 5, and maybe even a 6th film being released a year after each Star Wars prequel just like they were back in the 1980s.

Oh well. Here's hoping Indy 5 actually makes it in front of the cameras. I feel like if we get a fifth film KotCS won't get so much hate.

Also James Mangold is an excellent choice to direct.

PymParticles likes this.
  15. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    This is actually a very good outlook on the whole director switch here – especially with Lucas unfortunately not involved in the story on this one, so if Spielberg wasn't doing this for himself or for Lucas, him tapping out as director but remaining a fairly hands-on producer makes sense to me.

If TLC was Spielberg returning to the franchise's roots and putting his final stamp on the material, and KotCS was Lucas' passion project where he finally got to explore the pulp sci-fi angle that he's always wanted to explore in an Indy film, then I guess it is fair to say that Indy 5 will be Ford's own personal send-off to Indy in the sense that we know he has been itching for one last turn as the character since (at least) The Force Awakens and it seems to have been his passion for returning that's kept this project alive over the last five or so years despite numerous delays and creative shakeups.

Mangold is very good, so I'm excited and curious to see what he brings to the table here. He's definitely a more exciting choice for Indy than Abrams was for Star Wars.

Gobi-1 likes this.
  16. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I like the idea that Indy 5 is Harrison's film. That makes a lot of sense. Ford has been on a sort of farewell tour revisiting his most iconic roles one last time with The Force Awakens, Blade Runner 2049 and now Indy 5. Hopefully he's saved the best for last.

17. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I love Logan, and the one where Logan goes to Japan was really good! I loved Walk The Line and Cop Land was really good! I love the choice of Mangold to direct Indy 5!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000

It's that nothing ever really leaves the public consciousness anymore cause internet. We're not in a river anymore; it's a lake.

Sarge likes this.
  19. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    Hollywood Homicide 2?

Gobi-1 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Disregarding Henry.

Gobi-1, BlueYogurt and EHT like this.
  21. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Witnesses :p

22. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Air Force 2

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    Gobi-1, TCF-1138 and Sarge like this.
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    7 Days, 8 Nights

TCF-1138 and christophero30 like this.
  24. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    It just occured to me that Harrison Ford is the same age as President Biden and Paul McCartney. And Mick Jagger is about 9 months younger than Biden.

This post has no real point, I just thought it was interesting that they are all still working 14 years after traditional retirement age. Good for them!

John Lennon would be 81 years old now. He's been dead longer than he was alive. :(

25. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    That will sooner or later happen even to the best of us.

Gobi-1 likes this.