main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming In a grim dark far future there is only war - A thread for Warhammer 40k

Discussion in 'Community' started by Gamiel, May 23, 2020.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries The Emperor has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth. He is the Master of Mankind by the will of the gods, and master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies. He is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of Technology. He is the Carrion Lord of the Imperium for whom a thousand souls are sacrificed every day, so that he may never truly die.

Yet even in his deathless state, the Emperor continues his eternal vigilance. Mighty battlefleets cross the daemon-infested miasma of the Warp, the only route between distant stars, their way lit by the Astronomican, the psychic manifestation of the Emperor's will. Vast armies give battle in his name on uncounted worlds. Greatest amongst his soldiers are the Adeptus Astartes, the Space Marines, bio-engineered super-warriors. Their comrades in arms are legion: the Imperial Guard and countless planetary defence forces, the ever vigilant Inquisition and the tech-priests of the Adeptus Mechanicus to name only a few. But for all their multitudes, they are barely enough to hold off the ever-present threat from aliens, heretics, mutants - and worse.

To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable. These are the tales of those times. Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods.

With that said, lets be civil with each other here.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    Bor Mullet and Iron_lord like this.
  2. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I’ll quickly dip in and out of this thread by saying...

If you never listened to Bolt Thrower’s Realm of Chaos (1989), you’re in for a downtuned, death metal 40K Chaos inspired treat*. I was into the Chaos module because of BT and Ian Miller’s creepy chaos art, but never played. *Through The Eye of Terror, World Eater and Prophet of Hatred are still among my favorite Bolt Thrower songs,

As far as Space Marines, I like the Viking-like Space Wolves and Khorne’s World Eaters Legion who have sadly been retired.

Enjoy the Imperium and beyond.:)

Over and out.

Talos of Atmora, Iron_lord and Gamiel like this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That's a really cool video. I think I ad that to the intro post, while I can

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm not a fan of the gaming aspect but I do like the books. Horus Heresy series has been way too long but I'm working through the Siege of Terra books.(I recently finished The First Wall.) I really liked the Inquisitor Eisenhorn books. I read Divination, the Horusian Wars short story book and liked that so I have the two novels (Resurrection and Incarnation) on order from Amazon UK. I've also enjoyed their Horror books so far.

Master_Lok, Iron_lord and Gamiel like this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Here :D :p

True, he would probably always have a temper and be a natural battle-rager, but under other circumstances he could possibly be somebody that's trying to rein his rage - maybe by meditation, qigong, yoga, and/or special exercises - making him keep in his rage, until a point where he just explode. Or maybe he would try to show that he's more than his rage, making him trying to take up* some kind of cultural art/s outside of battle.
    * and maybe even master, he is a Primarchs after all

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Same here, honestly. Compared to a bunch of other tabletop games, Warhammer has proved much too expensive for me time and time again. As for books, the Ciaphas Cain novels can't go without mention.

Gamiel and Master_Lok like this.
  7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I read a couple of those and just couldn't get into them. I prefer books about either the Space Marines or the Inquisitors. I haven't gotten into the other time periods, like regular Warhammer or Sigmar either.

Master_Lok likes this.
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]
    from http://www.eagleordinary.com/

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    We have a Warhammer store in my town (closed due to the virus now of course) and I've seen the gamers in there. If I'm in town when it's open I usually go in to check for new books. (I tend to go to town early - at least I did pre-coronavirus - and the store doesn't open til noon or so on weekdays). Amazon UK carries the books (unless it's a limited edition only available through the stores or website) so my recent purchases have been there.

10. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Same here. The Space Marine novels I’ve read have been interesting, but I cannot keep up with the 40K universe. As you said, the Horus Heresy is rather a lot too.

I do like some art I’ve seen which remains too. Discovered Kev Walker and Ian Miller through the Realm of Chaos module and am still a fan of theirs (especially Kev lately) decades later. I had this Ian Miller designed Bolty shirt -um- 30 years ago...

[​IMG]

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    One of the non-40K books I liked was Brunner the Bounty Hunter. If Boba Fett existed in the Warhammer universe he'd be Brunner.

Master_Lok and Iron_lord like this.
  12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Kal Jerico's a notable 40K bounty hunter (comic series) - but he's not that much like Boba in personality. More like Cain or Blackadder, right down to the snarking and having a scruffy sidekick.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  13. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I haven't read any of the comics - just the books. I had been getting their 'White Dwarf' magazine every month at the local WH Smiths but haven't been there since lockdown began. I know the Warhammer stores are all closed here - the magazine is probably suspended til the headquarters staff can go back to work.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    Iron_lord likes this.
  14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I never got into this, and that sure is a lot of books to want to read. But like any good nerd it does get my attention and I love the bits of the history of the Emperor of Mankind.

A standard year later the child who would become the Emperor was born in a Neolithic settlement of Anatolian herders and farmers of a normal mother and father, with normal brothers and sisters. His psychic power was so great that its energies altered His genome and physiology in the womb and rendered Him immortal so He would no longer need to reincarnate and could not be assaulted by the daemonic creatures of the Immaterium upon His death. As He grew older, His potent psychic powers began to manifest.

For thirty-eight thousand Terran years, He wandered over the Earth and throughout Human history. He travelled among the different peoples of Mankind. While He had first been only an observer of Mankind's triumphs and follies, He soon began to help where He could, using His ancient wisdom to spread efficient government, crop management, animal husbandry, technology and peace. He used His influence carefully, at first adopting only the guise of a normal man, and without revealing His true nature.

As the millennia passed, the man who would become the Emperor watched the Human race develop. He travelled the entire globe, watching and helping, sometimes adopting the persona of a great leader or advisor. In times of trouble He became a crusader, a religious leader or even a messiah, at other times He remained a back-stage contributor to events, an advisor to kings, a court magician, a pioneering scientist.

Many of the guises He adopted were humble, others became monumental figures of world history or religion. At times of crisis He would be there, steering the Human race along a narrow path to survival that only He could see.

As the Human race prospered and advanced the Warp became increasingly disturbed. The man who would become the Emperor was aware of how the extreme sides of the Human character were feeding the nascent Chaos Powers. Despite His best efforts to promote peace and harmony across Old Earth, the instinctive values of martial honour, ambition, defiance, and self-satisfaction could never be eradicated from the Human character.

Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I personally would like to try to paint, play and make conversions but I lack the money needed to finance it. In the meantime I read the stories and the lore and have been buying White Dwarf slavishly since they redid it as a monthly magazine for the lore, "how to create your own lore articles" and the show figures.

I have this plan to begin to do some painting ones I actually get some good money. But as things are developing will that be far in to the future...

And for the new Necromunda has there been many new, named bounty hunters, some which appear in one of the audio dramas.

It's coming out, if a bit lat. Last month's WD came out the around the first of this month.

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    That's good to know. When I can go into town again (not worth it at this point since all the places I'd go are closed) I'll pick up a copy.
    Haven't been tempted to try painting anything as I know from past experience with making models that I suck at it. Art just isn't in my genes (making it, anyway. I can appreciate it).

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Horus Heresy series seems to be moving in the direction of "The Emperor is only one of a number of "Perpetuals" (people who are immortal and whose bodies come alive again, regenerated, after they've been physically killed) - he's just the powerful psyker of the group"

Other Perpetuals don't all seem to be especially psychic (Ollanius Persson, Alivia Sureka, etc. Some are though (Malcador)).

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Perpetual

Emperor Ferus and VadersLaMent like this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    An idée I have and want to do* is to paint Imperial Knights to resemble classic tractor models, like the Ford NAA tractor
    [​IMG]

Or Bolinder-Munktell BM 35
    [​IMG]

Or in the colours of tractor manufacturers with an established colour pattern, like John Deere
    [​IMG]

The reasoning behind this that Imperial Knights are established as being based on ancient agricultural/extraction machinery.

* once I get money/time/skill

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    That could work. Just add some emblems for identification as well.
    Recently got Resurrection and Incarnation from Amazon UK. They are the two Horusian Wars novels. (Already read Divination, the short story book). These are in the reading pile now.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I was thinking of using the BM of Bolinder-Munktell for the shield of the Knight in that colour, and a deer for the John Deere one. Have no idea for the Ford NAA one.

But as for now it's just a dream.

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    One House already comes pretty close to this green-and-yellow scheme: House Cadmus

[​IMG]

Emperor Ferus and Gamiel like this.
  22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I was thinking of going at it differently with the armour in green and the moving/machine parts (or at least some of them) in yellow

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Iron_lord likes this.
  23. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Never played a single game but I used to enjoy collecting some of the Citadel miniatures as a kid. I remember getting some Space Marines one time, but typically I used to paint the regular Warhammer stuff, not the 40,000 miniatures.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    So began working on a chapter sheet for my hidden TS succesor chapter, who pretend to be WS sires.
    So if you want to discuss the topic a bit or share some ideas feel free to do so. ;)

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Something I think you should think about if they secretly know that they are TS successor or if they themself believe that they are WS successor. If it’s the later could they be trying to fit WS culture and/or archetypes into their culture/organisation – lots of fast attack, trying to laugh while they kill, “we are supposed to like the open landscape and high speed, why do I find this boring”, attempts to keep their Liberian tradition Stormseer-like when they are naturally inclined to hermetic style thinking; etcetera. Or maybe they are trying to fit WS culture and/or archetypes into their culture/organisation in a way to pretend to be WS successors, if that maybe they have a tendency to overuse WS symbols and/or act overly stereotypically WS just to show others that they are a WS successor.
    Andy Clark has some interesting points regarding creating SM successor chapters and what could influence them in VoxCast #22

Also, since the TS gene-flaw is that many of them are psychics but have a high tendency to mutate, especially when they use their powers, could lead to some alternative ways to cope with that. Maybe:

- they have decided that their Librarians are only trained in “passive” psychic-powers, to prevent them from drawing upon to much of the Warp and thereby start their mutationing?

- they have decided to not have any Librarians at all, all the battle-brothers that shows psychic-powers are given highly disciplinary training to suppress it and are fitted with psy-dampers? Maybe some of them, under situations of high stress, are unable/unwilling to use their powers and too powerful for the psy-dampers, making them break the psy-dampers and using 1-3 powerfully (if basic) psy-powers before mutating into abominations?

- they put such emphasis on control and disciplinary training and rituals that their Librerians don’t have the time to learn all the disciplines, making them divide their Librarians into two groups, one that ignore the Divination Discipline, while the other ignore the Telepathy Discipline?

- it’s possible that they work really hard keeping their gene-flaw hidden, killing/recruiting/mind-wiping anybody that see one of their own succumb to the mutation – be they friend or innocent? This could lead them to try to only work in conflicts where they get to fight alone.

- they are socially overcompensating their hidden flaw by being openly hostile toward mutants, abhumans and similar, no matter how loyal they are? They could also be hostile toward other SM Chapters that have known gene-defects (f.ex. Black Dragons, Sons of Antaeus), and maybe even Chapters who have implants that are deficient (like the Imperial Fist and their successors).

- they are constantly fighting side by side of Sisters of Silence, the Sisters’ nul-aura preventing them from reaching the Warp and thereby starting to mutate?

- they have an unusual high amount of Apothecary to constantly monitor if anybody of them is starting to mutate?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    Anedon and Iron_lord like this.