main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Solo: A Star Wars Story - May 25, 2018

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by newdawn12, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I noticed when Han is about to sign up to join the Empire, the advertisement selling military service to potential recruits is playing the Imperial March. I love that that song was actually heard in universe by characters.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    Lulu Mars, Sarge, Bor Mullet and 3 others like this.
  2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It isn't as though I don't own it but I was rather aghast that this film was the one thing not available on Disney+ for May the Fourth.

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  4. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/ 18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    OK Clones Wars fans, we need a #SaveSolo campaign :D

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    CampOfSorgan likes this.
  5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That makes sense. That's nicer than my conclusion, which was basically, "They're treating this film like it's the stepchild".

Bor Mullet and EHT like this.
  6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Your respect for the red-headed among us is noted.

7. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I think what's cool is that the melody is made to sound nice and adventurous, whereas the reality is dark and mean.

8. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I never noticed that before. I think I might watch "Solo" again just to see if I can catch it.

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I was keeping with the Disney themes. All the ladies are now "Disney Princesses" and Disney films really know how to mistreat a stepchild. What they were doing to SOLO was just some extremely meta ish.

PCCViking likes this.
  10. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Interestingly enough, that nice and adventurous take on it sounds more fascist to my ears than the darker iteration!

11. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    #MakeSolo2Happen is trending on Twitter. I think a film won’t happen, but a Disney Plus show could be possible.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It was released two years ago today so I decided to do a rewatch. It’s such a fun little adventure movie. I really like how they didn’t fall into the trap of making Han already a jaded loner but instead went the far bolder route in showing how he became that. It makes him far more interesting to watch in this film. Also Han is already a rebel at heart. Not only does he give up a huge payday to give the coaxium to Enfys Nest but earlier he even recognizes the inherent injustice of what the Empire is doing, “It’s their planet. We’re the hostiles.” With a lesser writer we likely would have ended up with the far more shallow version but Kasdan truly understands who Han is.

It just pains me to see that Alden hasn’t gotten any roles since Solo. That’s a travesty. He’s a brilliant actor who deserves more work.

13. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/ 18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    The power of the pen (social media) worked for TCW, lets hope the fandom goes a perfect 2 for 2.

Lulu Mars and themoth like this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed. This film should’ve launched Alden into stardom, not the other way around. He’s like this generation’s James Dean in Solo. I don’t understand how so many people have been dismissive of him.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  15. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Giving it the good ol' Anniversary watch.
    Lots of fun.

One day I'll understand why Val had to kill herself.

16. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    Yeah. Disney Plus is an outlet that makes these types of projects possible. Without it, I'd say chances would be much less.

Lord-Skywalker likes this.
  17. Lord-Skywalker

Jul 8, 2002
    The reviews were unfair to Alden, Emilia, and Donald. Disneys decision to release in May instead of December proved lethal. 5 months was too soon after the devisive TLJ. They got greedy and disregarded the lack of marketing of Solo in favor of Infinity War. All these factored in the dollars and cents loss aspect. Disney + is the perfect medium to relaunch Solos pre OT story.

18. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I think a show with Alden's Han has a lot more potential than a new movie. It gives them more time to expand the underworld and give Han and Chewie weekly adventures in a style similar to the Mandalorin.

That being said though I'd never turn down another movie.

19. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Mimban Wookiee Mudtroopers

20. Lord-Skywalker

Jul 8, 2002
    The Resistance Broadcast #MakeSolo2 Happen w/ Joonas Soutamo

whostheBossk, Bor Mullet and GregMcP like this.
  21. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Movie . . . TV series . . . I just want to see more with Han and Chewie before the Original Trilogy. Ironically, there were some people discussing a sequel to "SOLO" after it was released on DVD.

22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    She was trapped. Dead, no matter what she chose to do. And so she chose the death that would be the most helpful to Beckett. Am I missing something?

23. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Why'd she have to blow up the bridge? Was it worth her life?

24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    She said she was pinned by the viper droids, and clearly thought she had no way of making it out alive. So instead of just dying, she decides to die by taking the bridge and the droids out, and thus giving Beckett the score he needs to avoid getting offed by Dryden. I mean, she basically says that out loud, if I remember correctly.

Oissan and Lulu Mars like this.
  25. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    What kind of camera was used for Solo? I know RO was shot digitally with a 6K Alexa 65 through a 70mm Panavision lens. Did they do something similar for this film?